Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Recommended Posts

I wonder how many applicants they are going to get this week with their $20/hr announcement? I wonder if they'll get enough new hires out of this to reverse their closure dates for at least the last Tues/Wed in June. Starting at $20/hr is a game changer in the theme park industry, even if its just a seasonal job. Once they are able to get international workers again (probably 2022) if they keep this starting wage they'll have a lot less staffing issues going forward. 

The only thing is it still lists $15/hr as a starting wage on their website. They they just get around to updating it yet?

https://jobs.cedarfair.com/our-parks/cedar-point/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JJLehto said:

That's for sure! Avg cost of in state tuition for public college in 1993: $3827. 2021: $25,000  ofc exact numbers will vary but the change is pretty accurate over time. As my student loans and surely others here can attest too :( 

And on top of the not good pay (though seems CP is really trying to rectify that out of necessity) people can correct me if wrong....working parks seems a brutal job tbh I know Cedar Point always relied heavily on intl workers (which ofc are not a thing right now) and besides that...I always had the feeling a good number were enthusiasts who do the job out of passion. Admirable, and honestly I admire all who work the parks for us to enjoy, esp rides and having to deal w people in general...seems like a rough job. Despite my love of parks, I have never once considered working at one. Esp in college, would never have been worth it. So yeah kudos to all who do it, and I hope by 2022 people can move freely and CP can again use intl workers, as clearly its hard to get enough people domestically, for reasons that are quite sensible. 

Any updates on people who got shafted w the schedule change getting refunds and etc? 

It's an awful job. And you know, back in 2001 or whatever, if you were an 18 year old coaster enthusiast, your one clear path to making it in the theme park industry was to work for a park. Now the ride firms are actively hiring fans. There's theme park and coaster design programs at major universities. And most importantly, there's YouTube, where you can monetize your hobby without ever having to do anything other than your hobby. Vastly different set of opportunities out there to do things with entire genres of attraction like escape game being basically invented since then. It's good to do if you want to grasp the operational side and what the practicality of running your attraction will resemble, but that's about it. You could probably just buy a season's pass, park yourself at ride entrance, and watch people's activity as an alternative while collecting a paycheck for R&D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The park ended up granting me reservations for Sunday after I emailed them. Hoping to not buy Fastlane but if I do it would be Monday. Why the hell isn't the park open till 10pm on a holiday weekend?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hopeful that this $20/hour thing goes over so well that the park is able to realize some actual value from paying the employees more and it results in drastically improved operations and in park spending.  After all, "with so many gold passes out there", you'd think they need to have people spending money as frequently as possible, which they can't do if they are in line for food for an hour at a time.  Wishful thinking...but I'd like to go that last scheduled full week of operations and hope the park isn't as much of a disaster by then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To anyone else doing Coastermania, they have released the schedule and yall it's amazing. Morning ERT of MForce, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Valravn. That is great. 9-10 ERT has Wicked Twister (Im stoked) Blue Streak Iron Dragon. 

Night ERT includes Magnum, Skyhawk, Maverick, TTD, SV. That is a pretty damn brilliant event. Already planning the day. 
Do we know yet if SV has been/will be operating at 10 am? I only ask bc last time I went, this was 2019 ofc, it was never opening before noon. I also recall that weekdays SV isn't open for normal early access correct? Only asking bc I assume people will spend the full hour early access waiting for it to never open so I'll plan accordingly. Like try to time it right when those lines get in but before the masses hit, OR I'll just do maverick first and wait for night ERT

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

To anyone else doing Coastermania, they have released the schedule and yall it's amazing. Morning ERT of MForce, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Valravn. That is great. 9-10 ERT has Wicked Twister (Im stoked) Blue Streak Iron Dragon. 

Night ERT includes Magnum, Skyhawk, Maverick, TTD, SV. That is a pretty damn brilliant event. Already planning the day. 
Do we know yet if SV has been/will be operating at 10 am? I only ask bc last time I went, this was 2019 ofc, it was never opening before noon. I also recall that weekdays SV isn't open for normal early access correct? Only asking bc I assume people will spend the full hour early access waiting for it to never open so I'll plan accordingly. Like try to time it right when those lines get in but before the masses hit, OR I'll just do maverick first and wait for night ERT

I'm going for the first time this year but from my understanding it is pretty standard that they pair Millennium Force with the B&M's. I believe in the past they paired Dragster with Magnum and Steel Vengeance with Maverick, but they are giving 2 hours for Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Dragster at least. I'm glad those 3 are at night and the Millennium Force and B&M's are in the morning. 

Just hoping for good weather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my one Coastermania , the evening ERT had longer lines than thruout the day.    The folks lined up waiting for Maverick ERT was so nuts, we just went over and got a ride on Wilderness Run- it was being offered, and it was a chance to ride a rare coaster (1st Intamin that usually adults can't get on)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oof sorry to hear. Can only vouch for the two times I went but deff wasn't the case. Night ERT was great esp for SV, was deff shorter than the line for the day even with FL (which was consistently like 40ish mins and while people reassured me it will die down near park close, it did not lol). Yeah I recall last time lots of people did line up to wait for Maverick to open but ya know, once the line was flowing it wasnt bad. If such a thing happens then yeah I'd duck away to something else and come back once its moving. 

Wilderness Run is indeed on ERT as well. Epic for people that will be there with their kids though I will continue to not have that credit and do Gemini, Magnum and esp Skyhawk instead. I love that ride too much :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

my one Coastermania , the evening ERT had longer lines than thruout the day.    The folks lined up waiting for Maverick ERT was so nuts, we just went over and got a ride on Wilderness Run- it was being offered, and it was a chance to ride a rare coaster (1st Intamin that usually adults can't get on)

I think adults can ride it during normal hours if they go to town hall/guest relations and get a card stating they're an enthusiast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

Oof sorry to hear. Can only vouch for the two times I went but deff wasn't the case. Night ERT was great esp for SV, was deff shorter than the line for the day even with FL (which was consistently like 40ish mins and while people reassured me it will die down near park close, it did not lol). Yeah I recall last time lots of people did line up to wait for Maverick to open but ya know, once the line was flowing it wasnt bad. If such a thing happens then yeah I'd duck away to something else and come back once its moving. 

Wilderness Run is indeed on ERT as well. Epic for people that will be there with their kids though I will continue to not have that credit and do Gemini, Magnum and esp Skyhawk instead. I love that ride too much :)

yeah, it died down later.

you should ride WR, just for the history. . and that usually adults aren't allowed on it at all.

they ran it with only 4 adults total on the train - to ensure it makes it up the 1st lift, I'd assume.

BUT you still have to be able to get that teeny tiny seatbelt to click. . LOL. .we saw many walks of shame from Wilderness Run.
(it got a decent line too)

 

IMG_1942.thumb.JPG.c19c5e16854103d2eccc7025815bf81f.JPGIMG_1941.thumb.JPG.3ec158da9c8c9977a90bbc5abc660f20.JPGIMG_1939.thumb.JPG.8694fa15dd0749bad330f6c6b98f66df.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not the day I went :( Everyone here said it would happen and I'm sure generally it does! But least that day....nope right till park closing fast lane for SV was still like 45 mins. Guess it was bad luck but with night ERT wasn't really a big deal. Thank goodness for that! 

Eh nah, to each their own and I've spun the broken record enough I wont repeat but its not my cup o tea, and yeah...for that line I'll just go do skyhawk personally. But yeah I'm excited now that the schedule is out, it feels "real" and I'm stoked. I feel bad for the public that park is closing at 8 but I'm pretty glad, I always needed a break and felt like hell the next day when it would run till like 1:30 AM. I'm really glad it'll be done by 11. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean... I'm pretty big into fitness, but I don't think I could cast judgement on someone who couldn't fit into a junior coaster. Any of us could probably be one bad binge season away from a walk of shame on Woodstock Express, considering it looks like your knees can slam the headrest of the car in front of you.

 

^ Dude in the green was probably in a leg cast the next day.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's not even a junior coaster. . Wilderness Run really is a kiddie coaster. . but it was the 1st Intamin, so why not ride it :)

the seat belt is designed for toddlers. . . but you had to be able to click it.    I BARELY fit on Wilderness Run. .it was tight.    So not making fun of anyone, just noting, lots of walks that night.

(the Woodstock Express , which IS a Junior coaster, we fit in just fine and they were encouraging adults to ride during the day.  It was pretty fun too).

 

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1877a.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, bert425 said:

it's not even a junior coaster. . Wilderness Run really is a kiddie coaster. . but it was the 1st Intamin, so why not ride it :)

Can't agree more here.  It's historic.  Must ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ My guess.....

Junior Coaster = Parents can ride with their kids.

Kiddie Coaster = The Kids are On Their Own.

IMG_3814.JPG.a1df0ca6d58d34cfb87f20f89c272cc5.JPG

And yes, Wilderness Run had it's share of walks-of-shames. She loved it. CoasterMANIA! June 02/2017.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tndank said:

Can't agree more here.  It's historic.  Must ride.

More rides for you and others! I will comfortably pass :)

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

Legitimate question: What's the difference between a junior coaster and a kiddie coaster?

I dunno if there's anything official. . but here's my take.

as Bill said:  Junior pretty much any age from 2-3 and up can ride, and they are designed with seats large enough to fit parents.   Kiddie, they are meant for the much littler kiddos, maybe barely walking age?

another difference is that a Kiddie coaster doesn't tend to do much more than go in a small figure 8 (if that), but a Junior coaster has tracks that mimic the Adult rides, just at a smaller scale.

just my take.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

More rides for you and others! I will comfortably pass :)

 

 

Honestly, it was a Real Surprise to those who had been to CM! before. CP had never offered Wilderness Run before, during past CM! weekends.

So of course, those who knew we had a chance to ride the thing, went for it, LOL. And some shamefully failed....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Nrthwnd said:

Honestly, it was a Real Surprise to those who had been to CM! before. CP had never offered Wilderness Run before, during past CM! weekends.

So of course, those who knew we had a chance to ride the thing, went for it, LOL. And some shamefully failed....

Eh for real, to each their own :) I've gotten flak for loving MForce, as well as Wicked Twister (someone was once making fun of me...weird bc they kept tagging along w/o asking and I was like Im already being nice by not telling you to leave, now you keep mocking what I wanna do? bruh lol) so yeah I dont judge, just not something I have any interest in. 

Oh hope no one thinks the comfortably was a pun. It wasn't, I promise I'm not that clever. Covid + New England winter did me bad. Prob worst shape I've been in and it shows. Been losing the flab and good thing, I almost didn't fit in Intimidator and had to do some flab suck in. First time that's happened. Though it may have been that ride, I wasn't even close to having an issue in any of the other rides in 3 parks I did. Still, CP had some tight fits I recall. Deff gunna shed my travel bloat and crash diet for the next week and a half to be safe! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the way, that "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!111!!!!" from the local radio station posted on the last page?  Yeah, it's that the station is giving away one of the Ticket of a Lifetime packages.  Told you all not to get excited.abc.jpg.bfb00fe3a74aabf29a99ba6ff5c3f27c.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For comparison. . here's the official POV for Wilderness Run
(and note they refer to it as a kiddie coaster in the description)

Let the kids take a virtual ride on Wilderness Run! Sit back, relax and enjoy this POV on this popular kiddie coaster.

 

 

and here's Woodstock Express, which is a Junior coaster, and is described thusly:

Woodstock Express is the perfect ride for your roller-coaster-riders in training! Sit back and enjoy the speedy bends and hills.

 

 

 

it's interesting that they are right across the walkway (maybe 20 feet) from each other.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/