TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

IMO, Cedar Point's logic on lack of official Mean Streak announcement. I believe CP wants it done for 2017. CP has 150th anniversary in 2020 and they are already said something big is coming...ie....GIANT NEW COASTER. RMC may have told them when taking on the MS project that b/c of the size and what they are doing they can't guarantee it opening on time for 2017. If everything runs without problems it's possible and they make good progress in the fall, it can happen. I think the announcement will come in December/early January whether 2017 or 2018 based on the progress at that point.

IMO, Cedar Point's logic on lack of official Mean Streak announcement. I believe CP wants it done for 2017. CP has 150th anniversary in 2020 and they are already said something big is coming...ie....GIANT NEW COASTER. Coaster in 2017 and then 2020 would be the ideal plan. RMC may have told CP when taking on the MS project that b/c of the size and what they are doing they can't guarantee it opening on time for 2017. If everything runs without problems and they make good progress in the fall, it can happen. I think the announcement will come in December/early January whether 2017 or 2018 based on the progress at that point. It's better to under promise and over deliver. If they announced it now and then it gets delayed many will have a fit and CP will get lambasted Also, I think CF may be looking at changing their coaster strategy, They have gone the last 5 years or so with 1 big coaster per year in the chain. This RMC of MS may signal them utilizing RMC to start having 1 new coaster and 1 RMC conversion a yr. Doing RMC's will cut the backlog in parks getting coasters. RMC conversions are price effective at 7 -10M each. CF parks have many worthy candidates for RMC.

Edited by eugenecd

Just to throw another perspective:

Marketing is pushing the water park and is giving away free stuff for pass sales now, and if they announced a new rollercoaster later, that could potentially sell passes without giving away free stuff. Sometimes it's good to have a new push after the initial sales slow down.

Both 2017 and 2018 have solid arguments. I'm torn, only arguing 2017 because it's more than possible.

2017 - RMCs don't take 20+ months to construct. They wouldn't have closed Mean Streak early. They haven't announced anything for the dry side of the park. RMC doesn't have any announced projects.

2018 - more time between coasters. If I'm not mistaken, the initial stake said "RMC 18", spent a lot of capital on things outside the park for 2017, lack of announcement.

RMC conversions are price effective at 7 -10M each.

After reading this thread I'm going to need 7-10M worth of alcohol between now and the time this thing actually opens in 2018.

It's okay, you have friends to help.

#sharingiscaring

CQ1CuiJWcAA1YL5.jpg.c932bf4462aac0377b060a48cfb928f6.jpg

Is the sh*tstorm coming in 2017 or 2018?

I'm heading to CP this weekend and have a 2hr backstage tour of stuff so maybe I'll get some information for you guys (probably not) I'll certainly get photos if the opportunity arises.

I'll be at Cedar Point this weekend as well! Curious how you got a backstage tour! Very cool.

I was going to do the morning coaster tour but they don't appear to offer that this late in the season.

But really, less people in the front of the park means more laps on gatekeeper.

Why are we just thinking more time on Gatekeeper? More people in the back of the park means more time on all four B&Ms!

Okay okay. Some laps will be taken on Valravn and Raptor. gotta look out for the boat

Honestly guys, when the RMC opens, I'm expecting a ride or two max opening year like I am with Valravn. You'll find me enjoying the short lines up front with Valravn and Millennium Force (and probably Dragster at opening too).

Dang! I'm off the site for a few days, and I come back, and am just like...

giphy.gif

I feel the same way, and it's not even the off-season yet.

My friend and I are going to be at the park this weekend, still resolving which days exactly to go. It'll be our first Halloweekends, but it doesn't really look like it holds a candle to Haunt at KI, which I've been going to every weekend since that opened. Still, I can't wait to get another night ride on Maverick!

After reading this thread I'm going to need 7-10M worth of alcohol between now and the time this thing actually opens in 2018.

#sharingiscaring

Not at all related to the current discussion of 2017 v 2018, and every other poster talking about how they are leaving the thread after finding it in its current state... but I went to see Randy and Mr. Lahey live this year. Recommended for any fans of Trailer Park Boys.

Honestly guys, when the RMC opens, I'm expecting a ride or two max opening year like I am with Valravn. You'll find me enjoying the short lines up front with Valravn and Millennium Force (and probably Dragster at opening too).

So true. I rode Valravn in front and back, then rode TTD about a dozen times along with MF. It's simply surreal when Dragster has only a 4 train wait.

#sharingiscaring

Not at all related to the current discussion of 2017 v 2018, and every other poster talking about how they are leaving the thread after finding it in its current state... but I went to see Randy and Mr. Lahey live this year. Recommended for any fans of Trailer Park Boys.

Sorry for the double post - reading top down. Dude I'm seeing them Friday in Chicago hahaha

^ Oh man, my buddy was security. After the show, you'll know why Randy and Mr. Lahey put him in a tough spot... He ended up going out afterwards with them, unfortunately it was a work night and I had to be up by 7 AM (already 1 AM by the time I got the text) Still regret not going, though. Would have been a good time.

To stay on topic, Cedar Point is a great, great, great, tremendous park.

...to celebrate the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTIETH anniversary of the second oldest theme park in the US?

Okay. I am curious. And Number #1 is......?

And just because I am still curious, where does Knott's fit in?

Just asking.

EDIT***Already figured out. My bad.

Edited by Nrthwnd

...to celebrate the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTIETH anniversary of the second oldest theme park in the US?

Okay. I am curious. And Number #1 is......?

And just because I am still curious, where does Knott's fit in?

Just asking.

The oldest would be Lake Compounce, which was blessed with an agreement with Kennywood for the big 150.

EDIT: Their kiddie coaster opened in 1997, so they may have bestowed the world with an announcement or something.

I know this comes back every time someone mentions something about the 150th in 2020, but do people honestly think that they won't do anything big to celebrate the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTIETH anniversary of the second oldest theme park in the US?

Yes

coasterbill.png

Welcome to TPR eguenecd!!

I know this comes back every time someone mentions something about the 150th in 2020, but do people honestly think that they won't do anything big to celebrate the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTIETH anniversary of the second oldest theme park in the US?

Yes. That is exactly what is going to happen. It will be just another year of development. Nothing more than maybe some special Coke cups and maybe a banner or three.