TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

...and I can tell you that if you follow Coasterbill's "trick." Then Mean Streak isn't that rough.

If you have to use a 'trick' to reduce the roughness to enjoy a ride then you are admitting it is a rough coaster. This coaster like all other ones was designed with backs on the seats for a reason. If you were meant to 'lean foward' the entire ride they would have designed the seats without backs in the first place. And what you call a 'trick' I call 'just a natural rational response to preserving you lower back' after the first drop.

I can think of plenty of coasters that are way more rough than Mean Streak that people go bananas over.

Good for you, but that still doesn't change the fact that Mean Streak was a rough coaster.

If you like riding Mean Streak then I am glad you enjoyed it and had fun, everyone is different. If you enjoy being a masochist knock yourself out. Just don't tell me it is not a rough coaster or call me a 'fan boy' for saying it is. When I rode it this past June is was still plenty rough to me and I personally cannot wait for RMC to do their magic on that unruly hunk of junk.

I'm not a "Cedar Point Fanboy"

Noted, but you had me fooled with the TTD GIF above your username and your 'Location' as CP or SDC.

...and I can tell you that if you follow Coasterbill's "trick." Then Mean Streak isn't that rough.

If you have to use a 'trick' to reduce the roughness to enjoy a ride then you are admitting it is a rough coaster. This coaster like all other ones was designed with backs on the seats for a reason. If you were meant to 'lean foward' the entire ride they would have designed the seats without backs in the first place. And what you call a 'trick' I call 'just a natural rational response to preserving you lower back' after the first drop.

I can think of plenty of coasters that are way more rough than Mean Streak that people go bananas over.

Good for you, but that still doesn't change the fact that Mean Streak was a rough coaster.

If you like riding Mean Streak then I am glad you enjoyed it and had fun, everyone is different. If you enjoy being a masochist knock yourself out. Just don't tell me it is not a rough coaster or call me a 'fan boy' for saying it is. When I rode it this past June is was still plenty rough to me and I personally cannot wait for RMC to do their magic on that unruly hunk of junk.

I'm not a "Cedar Point Fanboy"

Noted, but you had me fooled with the TTD GIF above your username and your 'Location' as CP or SDC.

Rekt!!

Where did this conversation even come from? The ride is permanently closed and everyone is looking forward to the replacement so it doesn't matter anyway, but the fact that some people found it rough and others didn't doesn't really matter. People are going to have differing opinions and it doesn't make you a fanboy if you enjoyed the ride. People like different things and people have differing opinions on rough coasters.

I noticed that but it was also more than a decade ago with different people at the helm. Personally I don't expect any major announcements inside the park for next year. You'll get Ripcord and like it. And you'll probably find out about it at Winter Chill Out.

...with a mass of posts expecting the announcement to take place at WCO and then expressing anger and frustration afterwards.

So let's say that this will be for 2018. That means the construction timeline will be the longest of any of their projects to date - Two months longer than New Texas Giant (which was a prototype with purposely slow/careful construction) - Also longer than any of their 4 custom ground-up projects. This fact makes me wonder...

Somebody could say "Well CP has harsh winters so they need a long time" - Tell that to SFGAm, SFNE, or Kolmarden which all were able to construct in less than a year.

Somebody could say "Well this project will be really extensive, RMC's biggest yet with Topper Track instead of standard IBox to keep the coaster wood and break a ton of records" - To that I say, "hmmm, plausible "

Now that we know RMC is coming to Cedar Point, I wonder what Mean Streak's new name will be? I think it will be something new altogether ditching the Mean Streak name. What about you guys?

Obviously Moogarou

^ but Topper Track is manufactured and assembled at the factory. It isn't formed on site like we will see with Mystic Timbers. That wouldn't increase the timeline much, if at all.

I don't think it's going to happen, as much as I'd like it to.

Well yeah, but there could be some unforeseen complexities with trying that for the first time that we don't know. It seems simple to us, but we're not the engineers in their office.

I think if they don't use Topper Track over IBox, it's a really big missed opportunity. The park desperately needs a modern wooden coaster, and they certainly have potential to earn a handful of more world records, which they don't shy away from (they did advertise that "Valravn shattered TEN WORLD RECORDS).

So let's say that this will be for 2018. That means the construction timeline will be the longest of any of their projects to date - Two months longer than New Texas Giant (which was a prototype with purposely slow/careful construction) - Also longer than any of their 4 custom ground-up projects. This fact makes me wonder...

Somebody could say "Well CP has harsh winters so they need a long time" - Tell that to SFGAm, SFNE, or Kolmarden which all were able to construct in less than a year.

Somebody could say "Well this project will be really extensive, RMC's biggest yet with Topper Track instead of standard IBox to keep the coaster wood and break a ton of records" - To that I say, "hmmm, plausible "

The strong counter-argument is based on their marketing timeline, not whether or not it's physically possible to have the ride done by 2017.

Cedar Point's current management is less risk adverse than their predecessors. Their ride choices and the fact that they have consistently been able to get attractions up and running in a timely fashion now for a few years is testament to their desire to not "pull a Six Flags" and open a ride halfway through the operating seasons. That gets back into the reason why they can charge $190 for the equivalent of Six Flags' $55-72 Gold Pass. But I digress. Yes, 21 months would be an incredibly long time to build the ride, but that assumes that the ride is under constant construction. The more realistic possibility is that they chose a very conservative timeline, which matches the general demeanor of the execs, to get it running.

IDK if this will be open next year or not, but it's exciting to see the RMC trucks at CP! CP has a really promising layout for an RMC of Mean Streak, and I could see them trying (and succeeding) to one-up Magic Mountain. It'll actually be kinda funny if SFMM gets a dive coaster in 2018 that's better than Valravn and CP gets an RMC that's better than TC in the same year.

The strong counter-argument is based on their marketing timeline, not whether or not it's physically possible to have the ride done by 2017.

That post ins't even arguing for a 2017 opening, just hypothesizing what a 2018 opening means for us. Also, you've repeated your marketing argument like 5 times today, we get that you think 2017 is unrealistic.

I'm just trying to understand WHY they would start construction THIS early! Surely closing the coaster a month later with the rest of the park would work, no? And even if the coaster was THAT expensive and they needed to close it now, you think they would really need trucks immediately after?

Something's fishy...

Edited by chickenbowl

That post ins't even arguing for a 2017 opening, just hypothesizing what a 2018 opening means for us. Also, you've repeated your marketing argument like 5 times today, we get that you think 2017 is unrealistic.

I'm just trying to understand WHY they would start construction THIS early! Surely closing the coaster a month later with the rest of the park would work, no? And even if the coaster was THAT expensive and they needed to close it now, you think they would really need trucks immediately after?

Something's fishy...

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle here. I think they closed it early to save some money and to have a conservative timeline. Maybe Mean Streak wasn't costing them a ton of money but they closed Hurler for the season with very little visible work going on so closing unpopular wood coasters at least partially for budget isn't exactly foreign to them. That being said even with a conservative timeline I think (for once) it's entirely reasonable to expect a monster of a coaster here. Until now, every RMC IBox coaster in America was built by Six Flags, a company that doesn't generally spend as much on new coasters as Cedar Fair minus the ride at Kentucky Kingdom which obviously had budgetary constraints and those coasters were all awesome. The combination of Mean Streak's huge structure, a long timeline and a company that has no issue dropping 25 million dollars at a time on a coaster creates some really, really exciting scenarios.

I've noticed the webcams have not shown the causeway or Mean Streak for the past couple days or so. May be time to start watching for the boat!

It is that time of year again!! #BoatLivesMatter

walkaway.gif.0a991c80bdaa4a49be6ae43eefe9e3c2.gif

I've noticed the webcams have not shown the causeway or Mean Streak for the past couple days or so. May be time to start watching for the boat!

It is that time of year again!! #BoatLivesMatter

I will murder you in your sleep.