TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm sure once full-fledged testing begins, they will keep the webcams pointed at the coaster.

Right now, if they are doing any sort of case testing with one train, especially on a cold day, it's easier to turn it away then get flooded with "WHAT HAPPENED?!" tweets and posts in the event that a train might valley.

Tony tweeted a teaser video of some Valravn testing! (Starts about 45 seconds in)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Wow, that video makes it look like you might actually get some airtime on the airtime hill.

Also, the coaster is going a lot faster than I expected it to in that turn into the final brake run!!

Right now, if they are doing any sort of case testing with one train, especially on a cold day, it's easier to turn it away then get flooded with "WHAT HAPPENED?!" tweets and posts in the event that a train might valley.

You're implying that someone besides a coaster enthusiast would be staring at a webcam a month before the park opens. Anyone who would be staring at that webcam would know what a valley is.

Tony is live on Periscope watching for a test run.

Things he mentioned:

* The first successful test run was yesterday, and a second run was completed today. The third test is what we're waiting for on the stream right now.

* Because of the cold temperatures (currently around 40 degrees) they won't be using the holding brake, and they will send it through the mid-course a little faster than normal to ensure it gets through the circuit.

Edit (4:33 PM): The test run just finished! Despite the cold, to my eyes, it looked like it made it through the circuit very well. There might even be actual airtime on the airtime hill!

Can I make a crazy prediction?

Given the fact that it's almost always blowing off the bay, I don't think wind will be a serious problem for this coaster. It's almost never facing a headwind at high altitude or at low speeds like Gatekeeper, Raptor and Dragster (the rides most likely to close for wind). Obviously once you get up to wind speeds that close rides like Millennium Force it may be a different story but even then this thing might be pretty resilient.

I'm speculating but I'm optimistic.

You're implying that someone besides a coasterbill would be staring at a Cedar Point webcam 24/7/365. And coasterbill knows what a valley is.

It's has the roar on it!!!

Just watched the periscope, can't wait to ride it!!!

It definitely has some roar but I'm not very confident yet as, for some reason, there have been quite a few new B&Ms with great roar during the first tests and then they don't seem to be quite as loud when they open. Or maybe it's just me

I think it would be awesome to ride Valravn with no brakes like in the testing video. That dive off the brake run would be sweet.

You obviously have not ridden a dive coaster.

Both dives are great in the back row at normal operating speed.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? I think any enthusiast would enjoy riding any coaster without the MCBR regardless if they've ridden that type of coaster before, or not.

That being said THANK YOU to the fella that linked to that FB video of Valverononenomenonass testing. The ride looks VERY fun. I will be there the second week of May with my uncle and I can't wait!!

What the hell does that have to do with anything? I think any enthusiast would enjoy riding any coaster without the MCBR regardless if they've ridden that type of coaster before, or not.

It's has the roar on it!!!

Just watched the periscope, can't wait to ride it!!!

It definitely has some roar but I'm not very confident yet as, for some reason, there have been quite a few new B&Ms with great roar during the first tests and then they don't seem to be quite as loud when they open. Or maybe it's just me

The roar is VERY similar to Banshee, love that sound! Though nothing beats the old school B&M roar of Raptor, Mantis etc;

I think it would be awesome to ride Valravn with no brakes like in the testing video. That dive off the brake run would be sweet.

Both dives are great in the back row at normal operating speed.

Um, I've ridden Griffon and Sheikra. I had one ride on Sheikra where the MCBR didn't grab as hard as it usually does. It was awesome.