TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It has more to do with making it safe for riders in the back row. Taking a drop with that small of a radius quickly would eject the crap out of you in the back row. The holding brake is (I assume) more aimed at inducing fear and tension, while the mid course breaks function as a capacity and safety mechanism.

I can't believe how I'm reading pages of people bitching about receiving the world's tallest, fastest Dive Machine. Want to trade? I'll take a B&M Dive anyday at Great Adventure. Easily B&M's second best design behind Inverts IMO.

If anything, I find posts like this IMMENSELY more annoying and bitchy sounding than any post where someone suggests ways the ride could have been improved.

Nobodies bitching except you. Merely supposing an alternative to "what is" is discussing roller coaster ideas on a roller coaster forum.

Get over yourselves, the over-dramatics are absurd. I don't think there's a person on this forum that wouldn't take a ride on Valverononemomenener anyway, so I don't understand why anybody's getting their panties in a bunch.

You are bitching about him bitching!

I can't believe how I'm reading pages of people bitching about receiving the world's tallest, fastest Dive Machine. Want to trade? I'll take a B&M Dive anyday at Great Adventure. Easily B&M's second best design behind Inverts IMO.

If anything, I find posts like this IMMENSELY more annoying and bitchy sounding than any post where someone suggests ways the ride could have been improved.

Nobodies bitching except you. Merely supposing an alternative to "what is" is discussing roller coaster ideas on a roller coaster forum.

Get over yourselves, the over-dramatics are absurd. I don't think there's a person on this forum that wouldn't take a ride on Valverononemomenener anyway, so I don't understand why anybody's getting their panties in a bunch.

You are bitching about him bitching!

People are upset the model is not something new. Personally I think it is pretty cool that Cedar Point is going to be trying to get the entire catalog: Winged, Floorless, Invert, Dive. Only thing they need is the a Flyer and a Hyper. Valravn ties them for second most B&M's in one park.

I am scared to look but were people complaining this much when Banshee was installed? It seemed to go over pretty well for the King's Island. Banshee was not a revolutionary ride system and people did not push back this much. However at the end of the day Cedar Point is Cedar Point and everything they install is supposed to be ground breaking. Breaking every relevant record is not enough for a ride in that park. lol.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Valravn in person at winter chill out in 2 weeks. Dive coasters are so massive in person. Every one of my non-enthusiast friends is stoked for the coaster. Every time I tell them about the holding break they open their eyes wide in amazement.

I really wanted to check out the Winter Chill Out this year, but it happens to coincide with our trip to Aruba. Make sure to take some nice photos for the group so I can view them whilst lolling on the beach!

I completely agree with you about the holding brake as something that will excite the GP (folks that has never seen or been on a dive coaster). As I mentioned in a recent post, my sister had called me the other night wanting to know some information about CP, Lighthouse Point, Valravn, etc...before they booked their trip.

Well, we hooked up with them for dinner last night and they booked Thursday-Monday in early June and are really pumped about Valvravn. They are amazed & a bit frightened about the concept of the holding brake on the 1st drop...they literally couldn't stop talking about this coaster for like the first 15 minutes after we met!

I like this thread, as there's stuff happening at all times. Always people either arguing about B&M or Magic Mountain, complaining about complainers, posting updated Valravn pictures, talking about a boat (It's gone), or getting excited about their first trip. Every once and a while you'll get Tony to post here...

It's diverse. It's usually fun to read.

Hey guys don't you just love all the G's on Mavrick? I just love all that air time it is so wonderful! Can't wait to go back to feel the wind in my hair!!!

Maverick is my second favorite coaster at Cedar Point. The nice mixture of positive G's, and negative G's is amazing. The second launch is fast, and forceful, and the fast transitions are amazing! I can't wait for 20+ new rides on it this coming visit!

I like this thread, as there's stuff happening at all times. Always people either arguing about B&M or Magic Mountain, complaining about complainers, posting updated Valravn pictures, talking about a boat (It's gone), or getting excited about their first trip. Every once and a while you'll get Tony to post here...

Boat?!?! Did someone say something about a boat?!

Hey guys don't you just love all the G's on Mavrick? I just love all that air time it is so wonderful! Can't wait to go back to feel the wind in my hair!!!

Maverick is my second favorite coaster at Cedar Point. The nice mixture of positive G's, and negative G's is amazing. The second launch is fast, and forceful, and the fast transitions are amazing! I can't wait for 20+ new rides on it this coming visit!

Read my edited post, bro... I don't speak this language.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Valravn in person at winter chill out in 2 weeks. Dive coasters are so massive in person. Every one of my non-enthusiast friends is stoked for the coaster. Every time I tell them about the holding break they open their eyes wide in amazement.

If you ever get a chance, check out the piece on the underside of the train that holds the car for the drop. Compared to the rest of the train it's such a tiny piece of steel plate. It's especially amazing considering the fully loaded weight of a train. I've been fortunate to spend time under Griffon. B&M engineering is impressive. The articulation and bearings in the arms that hold the train onto the track are the key to the smooth ride.

I'm late to respond, but I got to take that tour of BGW in 2014. The underside of Griffon's train is amazing! The holding mechanism on the train as they described and showed us is just a chain dog in reverse. 1 dog holding the weight of the entire train! I have some pictures buried somewhere, and yes the amount of articulation on B&M wheel assembly's are quite a bit. While under the train we got to move and flex them all around.

The original post is one of my favorite posts ever on this site haha.

Pretty sure they're installing the drop chain right now!

If you're referring to the chain for the holding brake, that was installed before the track piece was lifted into place.

As can be seen in this photo:

Oh weird, it really looked like they were doing something to it. There were guys on that area and a tower crane attached to something in the center of that part of the track.

I'm pretty sure today on the lift / turn they've been installing the last of the handrails on the stairs. They haven't been installed since they topped off the ride and right now it looks like the right side platform now has them.

Looks like the lifting is done for today, but both of the main dive loop supports are on site and will probably be going up tomorrow and Wednesday. Here's today's update:

Today's High Resolution Update

Daily Constructon Progress Updates in High Resolution

valravn-progress-2016-02-08.thumb.jpg.80ac52ac4eeb8b59c376baa8c4d4a505.jpg

Construction Progress as of February 8th, 2016

The "lesser known" by the GP car ride "Turnpike Cars" was removed (which is where Valravn's station is now). "Cadillac Cars" still exists and will be there for 2016.

Which is the one with the covered bridge for those of you wondering

Delayed reply on my end - thanks guys for the info and clarification! I enjoyed the covered bridge cars so this is good news.

I was going to say....this looks awfully suspicious & unusual for a prozach post!