TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

The ride itself will be fine. Cedar Fair usually misses the mark in total experience though and usually just goes for the claim of biggest. Biggest isn't always best though. The added elements to one of these type coasters seem to be more as important in the ride experience as the height. Sheikra is absolute top quality for one of these rides with its tunnel, and splashdown and station layout.

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel bad because this is all I post about lately but no... if a park has the ability to open and there's demand and they choose to stay closed then they're dumb. Period. Be creative and figure it ou

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

So basically there were about as many rides open as there would be in peak season with 15 mph winds.

Posted Images

The ride itself will be fine. Cedar Fair usually misses the mark in total experience though and usually just goes for the claim of biggest. Biggest isn't always best though. The added elements to one of these type coasters seem to be more as important in the ride experience as the height. Sheikra is absolute top quality for one of these rides with its tunnel, and splashdown and station layout.

Cedar Fair has been shifting their focus towards families more recently, with the exception of one big coaster per year.

Ready for my five year plan that most of you are going to ridicule me for?

2017: Aesthetic/Food Upgrades

2018: TrioTech

2019: Sky Roller/Waterpark Impovements

2020: Planet Snoopy expansion

2021: RMC Mean Streak

Seems pretty solid. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Sky Roller or flat ride package in 2017 along with a midway revamp somewhere. A Sky Roller and a modern refreshment of the Frontier area around Maverick and Mean Streak.

Still interested in seeing where those Vintage European flat rides will come into play and what parks and where they will go. I would assume that a Vintage flat ride(s) will go along with a Aesthetic midway revamp.

RMC Mean Streak is a no go and I just don't see it happening.

I think most people are just butthurt because its none of the things Tony said it would be.

BwdVG83IUAAUhM3.jpg

Cedar Point could do all of those and the same enthusiasts would find 10 things they don't like about them.

If it falls ANYWHERE outside their perfect pipe-dream, it will be a disaster.

Maybe now (or if they get a flyer) they'll stop going straight to B&M and actually explore other manufactures' options . Joking aside, I really wonder if there's anything left that belongs at CP. Maybe a flyer, perhaps an RMC, but other than that there aren't many coaster types that would make their lineup any more complete than it already is.

I made a ten year plan... (Sorry for all caps I have a habit of doing that)

Cedar Point 10 Year Plan, 2016-2025

2016 - New Coaster (B&M Dive Machine)

2017 - Thrill Ride(s)

2018 - Flat Ride(s)

2019 - Log Flume

2020 - Mean Streak RMC (Twisted Streak)

2021 - Kids Area Expansion

2022 - New Intamin Wood Coaster Located On Adventure Island (Close Dinosaurs Alive)

2023 - Waterpark Expansion (Freefall Capsule Slide)

2024 - Dark Ride

2025 - Destroy Blue Streak (Rebuild Out & Back Wooden Coaster - Faster And More Comfortable)

Maybe now (or if they get a flyer) they'll stop going straight to B&M and actually explore other manufactures' options . Joking aside, I really wonder if there's anything left that belongs at CP. Maybe a flyer, perhaps an RMC, but other than that there aren't many coaster types that would make their lineup any more complete than it already is.

Cedar Point has always lacked a good wooden coaster, you have Mean Streak and Blue Streak, pretty lackluster selection of you ask me. I'd love to see them get a GCI but I don't think that capacity would be high enough for CPs standards.

The only other company currently building wooden coasters in the US is RMC, if you even call those wooden coasters. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of RMC, but anything to improve Mean Streak or that plot of land would be great.

CP REALLY needs a new wood coaster since all they have is a average and a sub par wooden coasters (Blue Streak and Mean Streak). Iron Mean Streak would hurt either (could make a NTAG clone since Mean Streak is very similar to the old Texas Giant).

I'm going to clear up a little confusion...

1. Busch Gardens had an exclusivity deal with B&M for the Dive Coasters. No other park could install one within X years. (Apparently 9)

2. Vest harnesses are significantly wider than standard OTSR. The outside riders on Banshee are outside the rails, while that same seat is under the rails on Raptor. It is very likely that the 8 seat train is as wide as the 10 seat train.

It doesn't need dual load for 24 seats. The duration of Dive Coasters is short. Ideally they will dispatch when the previous train hits the midcourse, as the following train approaches the final blocks.

And the location is excellent for watchers. The first drop faces the midway and runs along the marina entrance.

Not to derail the Valravn talk, I'm thinking about going to CP on Saturday, Sept. 19th. I think it's the first weekend of Halloweekends, I know halloween events can get packed, but how packed should I expect?

^ its also "point fest" Christian festival that day, I believe. Halloween events are always less crowded towards the beginning but they are also offering significant bring a friend discounts and its a free event so you will get 'normal' off-season Saturday traffic so it's hard to say

2025 - Destroy Blue Streak (Rebuild Out & Back Wooden Coaster - Faster And More Comfortable)

BS is a classic and will be going nowhere anytime soon. That would destroy history!

BS is a classic and will be going nowhere anytime soon. That would destroy history!

I agree. I think it's extremely unlikely they remove Blue Streak anytime in the near future.

I agree. I think it's extremely unlikely they remove Blue Streak anytime in the near future.

I agree as well. If Cedar Point is going to demolish or renovate any wooden coaster, it needs to be Mean Streak.

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby baileybrucem » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm

Coastin Eric wrote:

My only real thought is maybe there's something themed around death for the new coaster? It is a dark theme, so I guess that's possible.

The name of the coaster is Valravn, so perhaps they are thinking about retheming because ravens are supposed to bring, you know, death.

This is the most ridiculous situation, and the Roller Coaster Capital of the World doesn't need this. So so so so so frustrating.

Postby rcoaster10 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:51 pm

It really makes me wonder if a rename is going to happen considering Valravn, like others said, is a name completely correleated to death. (Ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield) Especially being so close to Raptor as well, they might just be trying to avoid any further trouble. Just speculating but it's an idea.

by boldikus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:31 pm

I see a re-theme coming for sure. No matter how the park could spin it, unfortunately the media will not be able to report on the announcement of the new coaster without mention of the incident. I don't think the media or GP is making it out to be the parks fault, in general people seem to agree the guy did something he was not supposed to. Most comments I see on news sites and social media are "such a stupid thing to do, etc". I'm honestly surprised how minimal the "roller coasters need to be torn down" stuff is with this one - Talon getting stuck on the lift in the rain last week made all the local news around here and the comments on the sites were out of control.

But the media will be quick to point out the theme of the ride and how it connects to the death and it makes the park look insensitive. It's unfortunate for the park, but it's unavoidable. CP's PR team knows this and no doubt they are making some adjustments behind the scenes. Honestly, it doesn't really matter since they haven't confirmed anything about the ride so they can still change/do whatever they want.

by DonkeysWaffles » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 pm

chickenbowl wrote:

DonkeysWaffles wrote:

I think Valravn is going to be used in 2017 for Kings Dominion or Canada's Wonderland's new coaster.

What're you talking about? The logo was leaked and it says Cedar Point. The name is the ONE thing that you can be sure of! You think they would ditch the name last minute?? Haha no way!

Snowball's chance in hell they'll use it for the dive coaster. Do you realize that their reputation could be tarnished if they decided to use a name associated with death just days after someone died at their park? It will be either Centurion or "Lake Erie Monster" or something of that sort.

by PhantomPoster32 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 pm

FaithPlus1 wrote:

Why on Earth would they change the name just because some idiot did this to himself?

The death made it on national news tonight if you don't think the same media that had a field day with numerous topics this summer wouldn't go to town with a coaster themed to a death omen when someone just died at the park...

by Halogen » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 am

We know that due to this incident, the name Valravn is likely to be scrapped. Does anybody have an idea of what name the dive coaster will go by? I'm thinking Centurion, as Cedar Fair trademarked that name with Fury 325, and it would fit well with the colour scheme and the names of rides within the park.

by whatabeast » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I know countless people are about to call me an idiot, but I honestly think the name "valravn" was a bad idea in the first place. I mean seriously, the word literally translates to "death bird." That's very different from something like Centurion, which, yes, killed people, but doesn't literally translate to "Killer Roman."

I'm not saying they should change the name, I'm just saying that, with a lot of people unreasonably afraid of roller coasters as it is AND a recent death at the park... "Raven of Death" is (--not probably is, not might be-- is) a marketing nightmare.

grsupercity » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:12 am

So we think there going to keep the name Valravn?

ImmelMatt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Brassinthegrass wrote:

I think this might turn into this years Tempesto... So I look forward to watching Cedar Points new lawn ornament being built... At least we have a really good view from the main land!

CP isn't going to sit on the announcement that long, but they'll need to wait until they're done with the rebranding.

by Furion » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:01 pm

c

oasterbill wrote:

SbSteveZ wrote:

Please tell me when you say "I'm not buying this" you aren't meaning that you're on the "they're changing the name" side...

Oh god no, I just don't buy into that crappy logo. I feel like everything about this ride has been uncovered and they threw up a quick, fake logo to make people second guess the leak kind of like what Kings Island did.

That's the same logo that was on the VR Goggles that CP sent out earlier this month, which matches the crown on the Raven's head in the leaked logo. It was likely added to that page as teaser and not supposed to look "quick" or "fake", as I'd imagine it's officially part of the overall branding of the new ride...

by maverick_cp » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:01 pm

robbalvey wrote:

It's back on! Got my invite for the announcement new date!

I don't know guys, something about this picture makes me think that maybe it was changed. The graphic design of this countdown teaser thing makes me think of like medieval or vikings or something... it looks completely different from designs of the teasers before it... But it might just be me. I don't know. Now I'm rambling.

by Skylarsnyder1999 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Any guesses as to the name of the dive coaster???? I heard they ditched valravyn.....

Compilation of idiot name-change posts!

I meant the posts were idiotic not the people.

Ok, that's a little better... I just think sometimes Coaster Enthusiast forums can be so nasty, and our hobby is supposed to just be a fun diversion from the harsh realities of life.

I mean, even Millennium Force has a "toaster oven" station, fairly basic trains, and nothing really out on the course

I normally agree with you but I have to step in here...

Millennium Force is a highly themed journey back in time to an island filled with dinosaurs. The name makes perfect sense too as they never specified which Millennium they were referring to. Everyone misses the theme because they incorrectly assume they were talking about this Millennium.

I'm late, but this is the best post on TPR and it needs to be posted again.

As for Valravn, I think it looks great! The logo looks really impressive and the holding brake at 223 feet in the air is going to be awesome.

I'm a really big fan of the vest restraints. I'm curious to see how they work out with a dive coaster.