TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

The animation appears to show a lack of B&M roar.

Oh so the animation is going to be taken really literally huh? Okay well then I have some complains about the 2016 additions too based on my ultra-literal interpretation of the video.

^^ Post of the day.

Man, I was really looking forward to paying $15 for a blurry ride photo featuring 7 other passengers in the row with me. Also, it's disappointing that all of the water from Iron Dragon's lake will be removed. This will really take away from the night-ride experience on Cedar Point's best and by far most popular coaster. I was also looking forward to the launch, 30,000-foot top hat, and second station in Canada's Wonderland, but I guess that isn't happening. On the bright side, it seems as if crowds in the park are EXTREMELY light, so no need for a VIP tour to reduce the wait time to 8 hours from 27.

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel bad because this is all I post about lately but no... if a park has the ability to open and there's demand and they choose to stay closed then they're dumb. Period. Be creative and figure it ou

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

So basically there were about as many rides open as there would be in peak season with 15 mph winds.

Posted Images

Just a refresher:

LIFE CYCLE OF A "NEW COASTER" THREAD ON TPR

1. After months of rumors and speculation, the ride is announced. The ride is immediately hit with negative views because it didn't live up to the hype coasterboy2194210 had set when he heard from his friend's uncle that it was going to be a 900 foot prototype.

2. Complaints about: The name, the stats, the colors, the trains, and the station layout, sometimes all in the same post. This is based off a crudely done 3D video.

3. Random new threads pop up in the next few weeks, breaking the news of the brand new coaster, even though the original thread is probably still on the first page near the top.

4. People start complaining about the lack of construction, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

5. Construction starts, people start complaining about the lack of construction updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another piece had been put up!!!

6. Criticism over the differences between the constructed portions versus the concept art begin. Page upon page of bitter feuding on whether the angle of descent was incorrect begins.

7. The construction is finished. People start complaining about the lack of testing, and wonder if the ride will be finished on time.

8. Testing starts, people start complaining about the lack of testing updates. No pictures from 2:35 this afternoon? But another train has been cycled!!!

9. Someone rides the coaster and reports back. If the review is so-so to good, the person obviously caught it on a bad early run. If the review is glowing, the person obviously hasn't ridden many coasters.

10. The ride opens. The fanboys descend en masse, declaring the ride the best coaster to ever touch god's green earth. Wild claims are thrown out, like the coaster is able to cure cancer, and has ejector airtime even on the brake run and station.

11. A well-travelled, highly regarded TPR member finally rides it, and gives a good but not great review. Fanboys cry foul, saying the person rode it on an off-day.

12. Pages upon pages of comparison to every single amusement ride known to man ensue.

13. As more people ride, the reviews eventually settle into a particular area (bad, moderate, good, great, excellent) and people stop posting in the thread.

14. Meanwhile, dirt has been dug up somewhere else in the park...the cycle begins again.

LMAO...Hilarious!

The ride looks great. I'll take the airtime hill over the splash. Sheikra's first drop is awesome and it doesn't have a tunnel. Griffon's single load station is efficient enough (remember Mantis). If not, go on a Wednesday. 24 vs 30 person trains...who cares. Stop complaining. Dive Machines are awesome, even when they do the exact same thing twice like Griffon.

^^Basically any manufacturer but Intamin could claim that.

I wish Stengel was still designing rides for B&M. This ride looks floaty and lame just like everything else they've churned out over the past several years.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Ok if that's your interpretation of whats going on here then more power to you, but honestly this looks like a boring ride.

Ok if that's your interpretation of whats going on here then more power to you, but honestly this looks like a boring ride.

*IF* and that is a BIG if you are not just being a troll, and you really think this looks like a boring ride then it is time for you to find a new hobby, because obviously riding really good roller coasters is not for you.

^^Basically any manufacturer but Intamin could claim that.

I wish Stengel was still designing rides for B&M. This ride looks floaty and lame just like everything else they've churned out over the past several years.

Obvious troll is obvious.

So does TTD if you're looking at a picture.

I have been on Oblivion, Sheikra and Griffon......and am VERY excited to try this new coaster at CP. Looks like it will be good fun. The brake holds at the top always have people screaming and using creative language!

I saw a comment in the thread earlier about there being few Dive coasters in North America. I don't know the others outside the two Busch Garden parks. What others are there on the continent?

Ok if that's your interpretation of whats going on here then more power to you, but honestly this looks like a boring ride

I presume you are British...because then I could give you credit for what is awesome use of deadpan sarcasm. I do seem to read it a lot on some of the coaster forums....I never realised how well it can be used when describing some useless investment at probably one of the worst roller coaster parks in the world.

The more I watch the videos the more I get excited yeah its lacking a splashdown and a tunnel. But is everyone suddenly forgetting the barrel roll? I don't recall this ever being done on a dive coaster before and I think it's going to be one of the top elements of this ride. I for one can't wait to have a dive coaster at my home park!

This. People are bitching more about a freaking tunnel and splashdown than enjoying the fact that there are two more loops and a bunny hop airtime hill than the two at BG. I would MUCH rather have more coaster elements than have something that you hardly notice when you're riding.

You know darn well that if CP were to add tunnels that they would be ala Magnum, MF or Leviathan at CW...which we know is just drainage piping. Then people would just be complaining about how ugly it looks and how THAT'S not themed...am I right?

I agree with you about the Stengel part. I feel their designs have gone way downhill when they brought their layouts in house. That being said, out of all the designs they've churned out in the last 10 years, I will admit to liking the Dive Machines quite a bit. Both SheiKra (and it's near-clones) and Griffon have a GREAT first drop and second near-vertical drop, and both of the inversions, while a bit floaty, I agree, are actually a lot of fun. I'm not sure about that "airtime hill" on this one, though, it doesn't look like it will deliver much. But all that being said, I'm far more excited about this than I was Gatekeeper.

While this ride seems a little short, yes, I actually think Gatekeeper could have benefited by being about 1,000 feet shorter. I know that sounds crazy, but just think about how boring that last 1/4 of the ride is. Valravn at least seems to pack a good amount in during it's course.

The more I watch the videos the more I get excited yeah its lacking a splashdown and a tunnel. But is everyone suddenly forgetting the barrel roll? I don't recall this ever being done on a dive coaster before and I think it's going to be one of the top elements of this ride. I for one can't wait to have a dive coaster at my home park!

This. People are bitching more about a freaking tunnel and splashdown than enjoying the fact that there are two more loops and a bunny hop airtime hill than the two at BG. I would MUCH rather have more coaster elements than have something that you hardly notice when you're riding.

You know darn well that if CP were to add tunnels that they would be ala Magnum, MF or Leviathan at CW...which we know is just the equivalent of drainage piping. Then people would just be complaining about how ugly it looks and how THAT'S not themed...am I right?

This looks like it will be a nice addition to the park. I personally have never been much of a dive coaster fan, but I am sure people will really enjoy the coaster. Love the animations they put out and also the VR app.

I know this is going to be an excellent coaster, I know at most any other park this would be considered the crown jewel of their collection, but in a collection as stacked as Cedar Point's... well, let's look at it this way.

Is this the tallest coaster in the park? No, it's the third tallest.

Is this the first coaster of theirs with a straight down drop? No, it's their second (third if you count beyond-90 degree drops)

Is this their first floorless train coaster or coaster where the seats hang outside the track? No, thanks to the Rougarou conversion last year and Gatekeeper the year before.

What I'm getting at is that this does not answer any need of the park. It's impressive, very impressive. The GP will eat it up and I'm sure it will ride incredible with slim to none maintenance issues thanks to B&M's stellar engineering... but it doesn't really stand out from the rest of their collection.

^ You are forgetting Wicked Twister, which also has a 90 degree spike.

A few things I really like about this coaster

*The ride after the MCBR. The elements they added look unique, that second inversion and the airtime hill could add more to the ride than people expect.

* The station - Nobody seems to be talking about it, but it looks pretty slick, especially with the brick underneath.

* The new walkway / entrance. Obviously it won't match GateKeeper with the keyholes, but it all appears to be updated in a similar fashion to the GateKeeper plaza. That alone is a massive upgrade.

* Height/Speed/Weight ratio. Best in the business...

* Location of the lift hill right above the new Marina entrance plaza.

* GateKeeper restraints

Things I don't like.

* Theme. Not a huge deal, and we honestly don't know what this coaster will have because we only saw the rendering.

* Shade in queue line. Maybe the massive track will shade us from the sun.

Conclusion

My favorite park adding what will likely be a top 3 or 4 coaster at the park, and likely the best B&M. A coaster with high capacity, good reliability, is easily re-rideable, is marketable (breaks 10 records!), and adds to the already legendary skyline... and if for some reason it's awful, I'll always have Maverick.

Is this the first coaster of theirs with a straight down drop? No, it's their second (third if you count beyond-90 degree drops)

Is this their first floorless train coaster or coaster where the seats hang outside the track? No, thanks to the Rougarou conversion last year and Gatekeeper the year before.

What I'm getting at is that this does not answer any need of the park. It's impressive, very impressive. The GP will eat it up and I'm sure it will ride incredible with slim to none maintenance issues thanks to B&M's stellar engineering... but it doesn't really stand out from the rest of their collection.

223 feet. One of five roller coasters at the park to break 200 feet. Carowinds has 2. SFGAdv has 2. SFMM has 3.

Top Thrill Dragster doesn't hold you over the drop at all. It's just up and over.

Trains to not define the layout. Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster both have you sit down above the track. Wicked Twister and Raptor both have you seated below the track with no floor.

I think it'll be a great ride and it'll be super unique for probably most of the Cedar Point crowd. I've been on Sheikra and I found it to be an amazing ride, and it's probably my favorite at BGT. Then this coaster looks even better, so I'm sure I'll like this even more. If this coaster was going to literally any other park, it would probably be one of the best coasters at the park, but like ImmelMatt said, when you compare it to the absolutely fantastic existing lineup at Cedar Point, it just doesn't stand out.

I do find it a little strange that there isn't anything special to it though. The layout is good, but not amazing. Based on the rendering, there aren't any "thematic elements" such as tunnels or splashdowns or anything that really stands out. Not like I was expecting it, but no theming even like Banshee has. They pretty much took out the last area of trees in the front of the park and plopped this coaster down and surrounded with more concrete. However, this is only the rendering so I'm not sure what Cedar Point may have in store.

In terms of the actual ride, I think it's weird that they're going back to this old style ride and put in one with an unoriginal layout. Looking back, Gatekeeper has arguably the best layout of any wing coaster and it was one of the very first wing coasters, plus the awesome keyholes and front gate interaction. Maverick has the launch tunnel, moderate theming, water bombs, and was the first idea of a low to the ground high speed coaster. Dragster has the whole race theme with audio and lights as well as the midway interaction, not to mention it was the tallest coaster. All of the previous additions have been, for the most part ,brand new innovative rides. All of Cedar Points additions are usually an A or A+ and I feel like this is a B.

One thing I didn't even really notice until my GP friend pointed it out, but it's extremely similar to GateKeeper. Obviously the holding drop is completely different and unique to this ride, but the 3 inversions (immelman, dive loop, zero-g) that Valravn has, GateKeeper already had. Not to mention the same wide style trains with wing seats and the exact same restraints. I'm hoping that the restraints don't restrict the airtime too much, as I thought that was the best part of Sheikra. I also find it strange though that this has a 54" height requirement, where as GateKeeper and Banshee have a 52" height requirement.

Overall, I do think it'll be an amazing ride and I'm probably being pretty critical of them considering it's my home and all-time favorite park so I care a lot about what they do. Could they have put something better in? Yes probably. Is this still a solid addition? Of course. It won't be another Maverick but it'll be another high capacity, reliable, impressive looking coaster.

223 feet. One of five roller coasters at the park to break 200 feet. Carowinds has 2. SFGAdv has 2. SFMM has 3.

Top Thrill Dragster doesn't hold you over the drop at all. It's just up and over.

Trains to not define the layout. Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster both have you sit down above the track. Wicked Twister and Raptor both have you seated below the track with no floor.

But that's just the thing. There's not very much about it that stands out other than it's presence on the skyline and the holding brake at the top. It doesn't bring much new to the park's lineup like an Iron Horse conversion or a B&M Flyer would. There's nothing wrong with Valravn and it looks like it's going to be a great experience, but it doesn't feel like it brings all that much new to the table. Won't stop me from wanting to ride it though.

I know this is going to be an excellent coaster, I know at most any other park this would be considered the crown jewel of their collection, but in a collection as stacked as Cedar Point's... well, let's look at it this way.

Valvran has an incredible first drop of 214' vertical, that is sure to be filled with but-lifting airtime. Then we have a MASSIVE floating immelmann, followed by a high-speed compact turn. Another near vertical drop with more but-lifting airtime, followed by an always stellar dive loop into (what looks like) an awesome hang-time/zero G/crazy lats educing roll, followed by a banked turn into a classic extended-weightless camelback.

Is Raptor the tallest coaster in the park? No, not even close. And yet people still love it.

Is Dragster the first coaster in the park with a twisted 90° drop? No. Wicked Twister does twisted 90° multiple times at a even more extreme degree of twisting with Inverted trains. And yet people still love Dragster.

Was Rougarou the first coaster with no floor? No. GateKeeper, Wicked Twister and Raptor had no floors YEARS earlier. And yet people still flock to Rougarou.

Amusement parks are a place where people come to have fun. And when they see a massive steel coaster holding people before the first drop followed by lots of twisted inversions, they will immediately see a coaster they'll be eager to ride.

I'm just excited to try out these VR glasses on the ride, I heard the graphics look so real you'd actually think your on a roller-coaster in the middle of Cedar Point

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4DHwp9B0lAkbG-B72tUZP0tJ5bki_8GB_s0qxEOtw4X6rgMuR