TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

BTW I'll just leave this...

That was trademarked by Cedar Fair... Not Cedar Point. Cedar Point trademarks their own rides, not Cedar Fair. Also, wasn't this name trademarked back before Fury was built??

I know Cedar Point trademarks names, that's the downside... Maybe they could transfer

Also it was trademarked before Fury. It's old but it probably would surprise LOTS of people!

I know countless people are about to call me an idiot, but I honestly think the name "valravn" was a bad idea in the first place. I mean seriously, the word literally translates to "death bird." That's very different from something like Centurion, which, yes, killed people, but doesn't literally translate to "Killer Roman."

I'm not saying they should change the name, I'm just saying that, with a lot of people unreasonably afraid of roller coasters as it is AND a recent death at the park... "Raven of Death" is (--not probably is, not might be-- is) a marketing nightmare.

I know countless people are about to call me an idiot, but I honestly think the name "valravn" was a bad idea in the first place. I mean seriously, the word literally translates to "death bird." That's very different from something like Centurion, which, yes, killed people, but doesn't literally translate to "Killer Roman."

I'm not saying they should change the name, I'm just saying that, with a lot of people unreasonably afraid of roller coasters as it is AND a recent death at the park... "Raven of Death" is (--not probably is, not might be-- is) a marketing nightmare.

I mean.... Banshee doesn't really translate to "Loving caring locker."

You understand roller coasters are supposed to intimidate and scare riders, correct?

It wouldn't surprise me if they change the name for that very reason. In this politically correct, "we have to make sure nobody is offended by anything" world, a name that implies death in any way after an accident like this is probably getting scrapped.

But really though, how many people are really going to look into the name? I feel like there is a lot of overlap between the group of people they would be worried about offending or scaring away because of this accident, and the group of people who would just hear "Valravn" and think it's just a cool name and never look into its origin.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'll mention it again, in more detail...

"In the Cajun legends, the creature is said to prowl the swamps around Acadiana and Greater New Orleans, and possibly the fields or forests of the regions. The rougarou most often is described as a creature with a human body and the head of a wolf or dog, similar to the werewolf legend.

Often the story-telling has been used to inspire fear and obedience. One such example is stories that have been told by elders to persuade Cajun children to behave. According to another variation, the wolf-like beast will hunt down and kill Catholics who do not follow the rules of Lent. This coincides with the French Catholic loup-garou stories, according to which the method for turning into a werewolf is to break Lent seven years in a row.

A common blood sucking legend says that the rougarou is under the spell for 101 days. After that time, the curse is transferred from person to person when the rougarou draws another human’s blood. During that day the creature returns to human form. Although acting sickly, the human refrains from telling others of the situation for fear of being killed."

That's just an excerpt about the legend of the Rougarou, taken from Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure that most GP don't know that when they ride CP's "new" Floorless coaster. Heck, I bet there's some of you reading this who didn't know that until now. Not exactly a pleasant and positive thing for a coaster to be named after (especially for lapsed Catholics), but nobody cares. When Valravn IS announced after this delay, the same will be true, in spite of this unfortunate incident...

The only basis for the rumor is that CP changed the original name of Mantis from Banshee 20 years ago. Sounds legit.

Cedar Fair just built Banshee. Did you forget so soon?

No.

Banshee was originally going to be the name of Mantis but Cedar Point decided to change it because of a possible backlash from people who might find it offensive. Online enthusiast crackpots are using that as a precedent for why Cedar Point may change the name of Valravn.

I

A common blood sucking legend says that the rougarou is under the spell for 101 days. After that time, the curse is transferred from person to person when the rougarou draws another human’s blood. During that day the creature returns to human form. Although acting sickly, the human refrains from telling others of the situation for fear of being killed."

What if Rougarou was open for 101 days and then the man was killed

I

What if Rougarou was open for 101 days and then the man was killed

Fell 5 days short of 101.

That would have been a really strange coincidence.

That is true but that might not come to mind when they think of it...

BTW I'll just leave this...

Note that the filing of the trademark has been suspended. You cut your pic off just before the status section.

Sorry for the pic... Oops! But when I looked at it it said "Live since 2013" so is that still live? The ones that weren't used or weren't going to be used are filed at "dead"...

This world is meesed up. The public is a total baby if something isn't politically correct.

Am I sad he died? No. Do I care? No. He killed himself in this case. Do I feel bad for his family? Yes. But to change a name or delay the announcement all because some idiot decided to do what idiots do best? Now that's absurd.

Too bad the GP will still think it's Cedar Point's fault.

Honestly, what is the difference between this and someone commiting suicide in your own house? How are you really liable for an idependent mind and choice? He also broke the rules outlined and warned various times - but that still can't stop a deterred idiot from breaking them. Its not like the ride seeked him out. CP obviously never intended this - you come to an amusement park ride rides, and thus this is totally unrelated to the company's initiative (to the concept of amusement service in general).

Am I the only person who is growing incredibly sick about hearing, and reading about the "man who got killed by Raptor" topic?

No, but I'm incredibly sick about hearing people thinking they are going to change the name. It's just so dumb...

Edited by robbalvey

Am I the only person who is growing incredibly sick about hearing, and reading about the "man who got killed by Raptor" topic?

No, but I'm incredibly sick about hearing people thinking they are going to change the name. It's just so dumb...

So. True.

Virtually everyone on this board knows that Cedar Point was in no way at fault for the accident. However, imagine Cedar Point went ahead with the announcement on Tuesday, keeping in mind that a lot of the media and GP have no idea what CP is about to announce.

This is Wikepedia's definition for Valravn: In Danish folklore, a valravn (Danish "raven of the slain") is a supernatural raven. The ravens appear in traditional Danish folksongs, where they are described as originating from ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield, as capable of turning into the form of a knight after consuming the heart of a child, and, alternately, as half-wolf and half-raven creatures.

How do you think the media and GP would react to such an announcement days after a fatal tragedy involving a coaster at the park? I think that Cedar Point would look callus, insensitive, cold-hearted, and out of touch to the media and GP if they were to announce this coaster with it's anticipated theme so close to this tragedy. Had the announcement happened before the accident, none of this would be a problem, but unfortunately for CP, that is not the case and I 100% think they are making the correct call in delaying the announcement.

In the long run, I doubt delaying the announcement will affect the time table of the coaster significantly, so IMO the likely PR nightmare of announcing the coaster on Tuesday isn't worth adhering to their original date, regardless of how frustrating that may be to enthusiasts.

Just kinda throwing this out there....

I visited the park on Friday which was the day after the accident and although I did not ride Raptor due to some weather moving into the area once I finally got around to riding it, I will say that the park itself just seemed kinda somber and awkward. It wasn't as "festive" as it usually is. Quite a sad feeling all through the park.

I also just visited the park today (Sunday) and got to ride Raptor. The whole park seemed to regain the "festive" mood, besides for the Raptor station. It was very quiet and awkward and the operations were dreadfully slow. I'm talking having all 3 trains backed up for 2+ minutes before every dispatch. I would assume that's all because of the accident. I know that really has nothing to do with what is currently being talked about in the forum, just thought some of you guys would be interested in knowing this.

Also, to answer a previous post wondering about the fenced off area next to the Breakers Express hotel, there is no track or anything else for that matter yet but I imagine that we'll start seeing pieces showing up soon since we are getting close to the end of the summer season.