TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I used to stay at hotel breakers when they had the packages(with the coupon books), and it was a good deal. We stayed there on opening weekend for 10 years in a row because of the package deal we got. They no longer have the coupon books or any of the deals. The books had 2 one day tickets, 2 starlight tickets, free mini golf or go carts, cp munch money(I think it was $10 worth), ripcord discount, and buy one get one game coupons. I always had a season pass, but gave the tickets to family. They still have the package deal, but it only includes the tickets and it's the same price as it was when you got the coupon book.

I remember those packages! They were a really good deal! I had a stretch where I went to CP every year from 2002-2008 (sometimes twice), and every year through 2007 my family/friends and I stayed at Breakers because of the package deal.

In 2008, we stayed at Breakers Express, and I thought the hotel was perfectly fine. We went in May, and the price for the room was less than 100 bucks, plus we got the parking and early entry. I thought there was plenty of value there, and the rooms were pretty nice.

It's interesting reading the recent comments about early entry, because I've routinely utilized it and never run into large crowds, even in the middle of summer. I've almost always been able to get 2 rides on Millennium plus queue up for another ride before the park opens. We are likely heading back to the Point this year on opening weekend for my brother's bachelor party, so I'll be curious to see how things are then, since we'll likely stay at Breakers Express again.

I used to do that package also! That sucks they don't include the coupon book anymore...it was a really nice add-on touch to that deal! I used to go before math and science week existed, though, and haven't since about 2007 or 2008. I'd like to do the package again sometime, but definitely not during M&S week...that was horrible. The past couple years I have just been driving up for the day once or twice a year, and drive home when the day's over.

A break from the current discussion to announce the new nighttime show for 2011...

Cedar Point Press Release

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Marathon Petroleum Company LP (Marathon) will add even more dazzle to Cedar Point when it sponsors a spectacular new nighttime music and light show this summer at the Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park resort.

Called American Portrait, the new attraction will feature exciting music, high-def digitized video, advanced lighting system and an extensive display of colorful pyrotechnics that will illuminate the evening sky.

“American Portrait is dedicated to the Spirit of America,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “It will combine patriotic and contemporary music with unique images of American life. The program will be fast-paced, uplifting and will be enjoyed by everyone in the family.”

The 15-minute program will be presented nightly beginning Friday, June 3 through Sunday, Aug. 21. American Portrait will be shown on the park’s huge 3,600-square-foot projection screen located on the Iron Dragon Midway. On most nights, American Portrait is scheduled to be shown at 10 p.m.

The park’s first nighttime sound and light show, The Summer Spectacular, began in 1995 as part of Cedar Point’s 125th anniversary celebration.

“We are proud to join Cedar Point in bringing this patriotic salute to the park,” said Tom Kelley, Marathon’s Senior Vice President Marketing. “The brilliance and high energy of the new American Portrait nighttime show will be the perfect ending to a visit to Cedar Point.”

In addition to American Portrait, Cedar Point will also have a new show in the Jack Aldrich Theatre plus live music in two other theaters, an ice skating show featuring the PEANUTS characters, a thrilling stunt show with inline skaters and skateboarders and sing-a-longs with Snoopy and his friends.

Marathon is an integrated international energy company engaged in exploration and production; oil sands mining; integrated gas; and refining, marketing and transportation operations. Marathon, which is based in Houston, has principal operations in the United States, Angola, Canada, Equatorial Guinea, Indonesia, Iraqi Kurdistan Region, Libya, Norway, Poland and the United Kingdom. Marathon is the fourth largest United States-based integrated oil company and the nation's fifth largest refiner.

For more information, please visit http://www.marathon.com or cedarpoint.com.

--from pointpixels.com.

Doesn't seem like anything particularly fancy or noteworthy, but then again, it wouldn't take much for the new show to be better than Hot Summer Lights.

I was just looking at the webcam when someone walked over and held a sign up that said "Favorite Fan Feature Returns 3.9.11 cedarpoint.com". The return of the blog possibly?

I actually wish they start adding new things to the "Extra Point" section before bringing the blog back. I liked the wallpapers, sound files, etc. ...then they just stopped. Essentially their Facebook page is a blog, so I see no need to have two. Besides, didn't one of the bloggers (I forget if it was Tony or Tyler) get a job elsewhere?

Quick question about "Math and Science Week" at CP. I know for math and science days at KI the crowds usually aren't too bad, is that the case at CP or are these days the park should be avoided?

If I have one day in August for my first visit to the Point, when would be the best time to go? I don't care about credit whoring, I just want to get on everything good. I know I should spend more than one day, but it's not feasible. Thanks in advance.

Quick question about "Math and Science Week" at CP. I know for math and science days at KI the crowds usually aren't too bad, is that the case at CP or are these days the park should be avoided?

Avoid those days, it's not fun at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not comparable to a weekend in July or August at CP, but if you wait a few days and go the next week, you'll practically have the park to yourself.

In 2010 I was at CP on a Thursday in July and another weekday during the last week of August. July was a typical day: hot (low 90's, OUCH!), humid, cloudy. Lines were around an hour for MF, TTD, and Maverick. Miserable day, but great rides. Weekday in August was completely different. Clear, not as humid, high 70's. Longest lines were obviously TTD, MF, and Maverick, which fluctuated between 30 to 45 minutes. Got a second ride at night for MF with a 20 minute wait. There was no science days at all while I was there.

My advice: Weekday in August when Ohio is in school!

There was no science days at all while I was there.

That's because you went in July/August. Math and Science week is always the first week they are open, when kids are still in school.

I thought Ohio is in school during the last week of August?

Nope, for the most part they don't go back until September. That's besides the point anyway, a Math and Science week/day is never going to be held then. It's always held towards the end of the school year, not right at the beginning.

Nope, for the most part they don't go back until September. That's besides the point anyway, a Math and Science week/day is never going to be held then. It's always held towards the end of the school year, not right at the beginning.

I'm sorry, I accidentally misread your post. You said they have science/math days the first week Cedar Point is open, not the first week school was in. How embarrassing on my part... And that totally makes sense that they wouldn't have it the first week they are in school.