TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hotel breakers, and sandcastle are located just outside the parks gate. There is also the campground and lighthouse point on the island as well.

Be forewarned though, the prices at these resorts are pretty steep for what you get. If you have a platinum pass, you still get the early entry, and don't need to stay on property to get the perk. To be honest, the hour early entry may get you on 2 rides before the gates open to the public. You also have other platinum pass holders filtering in during that hour, so the lines get progressively longer.

We were going to stay on property again, and decided against it. We ended up getting a room just down the street, and platinum passes(for 3), and still spent less than getting a room on the island with only tickets. Rooms at the cedarpoint resorts average between $130-$300 per night, unless you go early in the season, or sometimes durring the week.

The rooms at the cedarpoint resorts are average at best. Some of the rooms are very outdated.

^I think the biggest draw for hotel rooms on point is that you can easily walk back to your room in the middle of the day if need be, whereas if you're off point, you have to go out to the parking lot, drive over the causeway, go all the way back to your hotel (wherever it may be), and then come all the way back. I guess it's all a matter of opinion on whether you want the extra convenience that comes with the extra cost.

It also depends on when you go.

The earlier in the season you go, the cheaper the on-site hotels are. I always go the weekend before Memorial day, and the difference between Breakers Express and Breakers/Sandcastle is only like $20/person total. For that price difference it's a no-brainer.

The difference between express and on-site though gets wider and wider as you get into the summer season.

Is Breakers Express a walkable distance? I'm thinking of staying there for Coastermania. Also, a few reviews for the hotel said that there was free parking available for the park. Has anyone else heard about this? This will be my first time staying at any CP related hotel. Everytime I've gone to CP, I've always stayed at a hotel down the street from the park.

I know that for the hotels on the peninsula offer you a refund of your parking fee, since you have to pass through the parking lot to get back to those hotels. Again, I'm not sure about Express or Castaway Bay since they are off-site, so to speak.

EDIT- It looks like neither Castaway Bay or Express offer free parking, but all of the other resorts do, at least according to the website.

^Thanks for your help. We just might end up staying at Express anyway. There will be two adults (maybe more not sure yet) in our party, and the packaged deals for Hotel Breakers is just not a good deal for us. I personally want to stay somewhere close by since I plan on going back to bed after morning ERT on Saturday.

I would call and ask, because I'm pretty sure Castaway and Breakers Express are on the resort shuttle system. I could be wrong, but back when I worked there in '07 the shuttle stopped at all the resorts, the marina, the main entrance, and Challenge Park. It might not be on the website because it's the offseason, and there's no need for a shuttle from Castaway Bay to the park.

There will be two adults (maybe more not sure yet) in our party, and the packaged deals for Hotel Breakers is just not a good deal for us. I personally want to stay somewhere close by since I plan on going back to bed after morning ERT on Saturday.

No offense, but planning is crucial! Figure out how mane people there are goiiing to be in your party, THEN, figure out your accomodation, and Public transportation...good things happen to those that plan ahead!

No offense, but planning is crucial! Figure out how mane people there are goiiing to be in your party, THEN, figure out your accomodation, and Public transportation...good things happen to those that plan ahead!

That's what I'm trying to do. I'm planning this like all three of us are going, but even if just the two of us go we'll still have things planned out and be OK.

From my visit to Cedar Point I'll say the early entry is worth a stay in one of their hotels.

I have to disagree with this(sorry), but an hour worth of early entry is not worth what they charge for a room. If you get a cheap hotel room off property(around $40 per night), and buy a platinum pass, you come out ahead. Plus you still get the early entry "and" entry to all of the cedar fair parks out there for the whole season.

I used to stay at hotel breakers when they had the packages(with the coupon books), and it was a good deal. We stayed there on opening weekend for 10 years in a row because of the package deal we got. They no longer have the coupon books or any of the deals. The books had 2 one day tickets, 2 starlight tickets, free mini golf or go carts, cp munch money(I think it was $10 worth), ripcord discount, and buy one get one game coupons. I always had a season pass, but gave the tickets to family. They still have the package deal, but it only includes the tickets and it's the same price as it was when you got the coupon book.

Well I understand your point however I didn't spend a whole lot of time in my room so didn't care and the Breaker's express wasn't that bad regardless. I've stayed in worse. The early entry however is an added perk in my opinion especially July/August when crowds are heaviest. The Platinum pass scenario didn't apply to me as I was a Cedar Fair employee at the time of my visit.

I have to disagree with this(sorry), but an hour worth of early entry is not worth what they charge for a room. If you get a cheap hotel room off property(around $40 per night), and buy a platinum pass, you come out ahead. Plus you still get the early entry "and" entry to all of the cedar fair parks out there for the whole season.

Depends on personal taste I guess, though personally I wouldn't want to stay in a $40 Sandusky hotel.

We usually stay at the motel 6, or the knights inn. The rates have been around $40 each time, and the rooms are not that bad. Never had any problems. One time we stayed at the comfort inn, and it was one of the worst rooms we have stayed at, but it cost 3x as much as motel 6 and knights inn. The super 8 also has good rates and the rooms are nice.

We never spend any time in the hotel room except to sleep at the end of the night, so all the little extra stuff that cost's more means nothing to us. Bed = happy.

There is also a K.O.A campground about 2 miles from the park that has cabins and mobile homes that are REALLY nice for around $69-$141 a night. They all have a/c and electric, and most also have a kitchen.

Check it out here... http://koa.com/choose-campsite/

Just a few suggestions that may save you a few bucks.

For the early entry rides, they'll probably add Windseeker. If they had to replace something, hopefully it'll be Planet Snoopy because honestly how many people use the early entry with kids and actually go to Planet Snoopy? As for paying for a CP hotel vs. a platinum pass and staying off property, getting a platinum pass is way more worth it in the long run. The Cedar Point hotels, in my opinion, are too over-priced. Sure they have a nice view of the park as well as you can just walk outside and pretty much be in the park, it's not worth it I think. If you buy a Platinum Pass, you still get in an hour early, free parking, and you get into every Cedar Fair park. There are plenty of other hotels right near Cedar Point, many of which are pretty cheap. I got one for $42 in late July and it was nothing fancy, just a typical sleeping spot for the night.

Early entry is nice at the beginning of the season since you have about a station wait for each ride. As the season goes on it's not uncommon to see Maverick with a full queue within 20 minutes of ERT or MF with an hour+ wait. Last year I made two trips to CP spending 3 days in the park each trip and had the worst early time experiences all 4 days we did early entry.

First trip of the season was beginning of June and we ran to Maverick. We had a one train wait for the front seat and it broke down. Took about a 1/2 hour to get it started again. We jogged to MF and noticed we didn't see it run while we were heading towards it. The line looked to be about about 30-40 min wait. So we decided to hit up Raptor since it's always reliable when I'm at the park and it was a walk on

Next day we wanted to hit up MF to try to ride it a few times before the ERT line got to long. The line extended out of the station and we waited for the back. They only had two trains running since the yellow train was still on the transfer track. We were next to ride until they decided to transfer the yellow train on. They tested the train before letting us on the next train. Everyone buckled up then we had to get off since there was some sort of issue. There was about a 45-50 minute delay because when they finally let us back on it was already a few minutes after 10.

The next two early access trips were just crowded but atleast all the rides were working on time

I understand rides break down or that there can be massive crowds for early entry, but I just wanted to inform people who plan on booking a CP hotel for early access. I heard a lot of resort people complaining that they wasted their money for broken down rides and long waits for 'their' exclusive hour. Just hope it doesn't rain in the morning like the time I booked a Breakers Express room just for the ERT. But the past 4 years I have been buying a Plat pass so a crowded ERT, broken down rides, or rain doesn't bother me any more I just feel sorry for my friend since he has yet to experience an ERT when all rides are walk ons for that whole hour.

^ I agree. Early entry for ERT is worth it in the beginning of the season and at times throughout the end of the summer. But as time progresses more people visit the park for early entry and it really isn't worth it anymore. Early in the season I could ride Millennium Force at least twice and still head to another ride before the park opened and in the middle of the summer, I sometimes found myself still waiting in line at regular park opening time still to ride once.