TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^You didn't miss the LED forest. It's now a scare zone for the rest of the year.

As for the improvements to Fear Faire. It used to be a lot more open inside. They made some changes to create a lot more flow. It's still basically all the same stuff though. I do have to say it does seem a lot longer but only because the path through the area is a little more winding.

I do believe that traffic used to flow both directions too but I can't remember for sure. Can anyone else remember?

Just got back from the park, what a day. Pulling into a nearly empty CP lot is surreal to say the least. I'm sure it was a combination of the weather and just the time of year, but I have never seen the park so empty.

Small problem though, it was windy, apparently too windy for almost all of the big rides to run, everything taller than Gemini was out. I noticed as we drove up that nothing was running, and hoped for the best, but the winds never let up enough apparently. I asked a few folks working if they knew what it would take for some of the shorter "tall" rides to open up, but no one knew. The odd thing was that Wicked Twister was running, maybe it isn't a coaster after all? It sure wasn't following the rules.

In any case, Maverick was running, so after enjoying a few flats with the wife and daughter, we moved to the back of the park. Maverick had a fifteen minute wait, the shortest I've ever seen besides season pass ERT in the morning. I waited for about ten of that, reached the single rider line and headed on up. Before I could even say hi, she was ushering me onto a train. So good, and just as much fun as I remembered.

The next trip up to the gates of Maverick was a failure. I was in the same spot as before, in the catbird seat as it were, the only single rider in sight, when it started drizzling. The ride op working the door said that Maverick doesn't run if it's raining even slightly. It went from slightly, to more than slightly, and back and forth. After about twenty minutes of intelligent theme park conversation between myself, the ride op, and a woman a couple years older than me, and her daughter, I bowed out.

We stuck around a little longer, I rode Maxair and my daughter got another ride on the antique cars and checked out a mini corn maze, then it was back to Michigan for us. Seven hours of driving total, four and a half in the park in weather that was barely fifty with a park that was running on a shoestring, and we still had fun. I'm going back in two weeks and hoping for the best.

Most of the coasters in the park can run in the rain as long as they can go down to one train operation. So Dragster, Maverick, Disaster Transport, and Wildcat are out if it rains, period.

The rest of the coasters close only if there are high winds that would prevent the ride from completing its course, or severe weather conditions (heavy rain, thunder, lightning, etc.).

Wicked Twister can operate because it has no problems completing its course in high winds and is a one train operation.

yeah, but usually by the time maintenance cycles raptor a few times to remove two trains, cycles TTD to remove 4 or 5 trains, etc, etc, the rain most of the time passes, then, you have to shut the ride down to add trains, cycle around, add another train, so true, they will run them with one train op, but is it feasible to go through all that trouble each time it rains? Nope. SF's runs multi trains in the rain, CF can do it, they just seemed a little scared to.

Most of the coasters in the park can run in the rain as long as they can go down to one train operation. So Dragster, Maverick, Disaster Transport, and Wildcat are out if it rains, period.

The rest of the coasters close only if there are high winds that would prevent the ride from completing its course, or severe weather conditions (heavy rain, thunder, lightning, etc.).

Wicked Twister can operate because it has no problems completing its course in high winds and is a one train operation.

And yet...Wildcat was running, as was Disaster Transport. That one is indoors though.

^ Plus, if lightening was in the area, indoors or not, I don't want to be on a steel death trap during an electrical storm.

^Rides like MF and TTD already shut down in rain automatically because it was unsafe to put people on 93 and 120 mph rides with rain hitting them in the face. I've ridden MF in a light drizzle and got off with welts on my arms. Doesn't feel good.

That's why I don't ride TTD in the front row, don't like the cable cooling water hitting me in the face.

^ Plus, if lightening was in the area, indoors or not, I don't want to be on a steel death trap during an electrical storm.

^Rides like MF and TTD already shut down in rain automatically because it was unsafe to put people on 93 and 120 mph rides with rain hitting them in the face. I've ridden MF in a light drizzle and got off with welts on my arms. Doesn't feel good.

That's why I don't ride TTD in the front row, don't like the cable cooling water hitting me in the face.

Totally agree. But there was no lightning.

Again though, still a good day.

Anyone know anything?

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

Besides that, no.

And yet...Wildcat was running, as was Disaster Transport. That one is indoors though.

I can only explain the policy, not the oddities found within the park

Edit:

Steve, have you ever ridden Disaster after a rain storm? Scariest thing I've ever done in my life.

Funny how KD had 305 open in the rain back in july...I rode it that day & it didn't hurt half as much as riding ROS at SFA in the rain ten years ago.

I personally didn't find any of them too terrifying, but my personal favorites are Happy Jack's Toy Factory and Terror Island, just for sheer uniqueness. They both have really cool stunts. I have also heard that CornStalkers is good, but alas, I have yet to try that one out.

I can only explain the policy, not the oddities found within the park

Edit:

Steve, have you ever ridden Disaster after a rain storm? Scariest thing I've ever done in my life.

DT after a rainstorm, do tell!

Well I was there this past Friday-Saturday. Friday was good, got on everything I wanted to, and very fast lines. (Amazing job crew!) I also got on all the haunted houses and man great houses, Cornstalkers is my favorite house ever! Then came Saturday....

So packed, couldn't move anywhere and no line besides Shoot the Rapids was under 30-45 min (STR was a walk-on all day). Millenium, Raptor, Maverick were all 2-2 1/2 hours till close. Overall good visit very fun. I give credit to the whole crew for how fast they were!