TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Actually I make lots of jokes but I don't think Mean Streak is half as bad as people say. I don't think it is half as good as it could/should be either. There are WAY rougher coasters. My biggest criticism actually just lies in the fact that it is slow, sluggish, and without a single ounce of airtime (unless you count being bounced out of your seat).

I would still rather ride Mean Streak than over half the coasters in the park.

There are WAY rougher coasters. My biggest criticism actually just lies in the fact that it is slow, sluggish, and without a single ounce of airtime (unless you count being bounced out of your seat).

Agreed. In my opinion the trims are what makes this a poor coaster, I never found it too rough.

So instead of TAER IT DOWN! we get BRUN IT DOWN!!!

Trogdor tried to burninate Mean Streak, but Dangeresque Too: This Time It's Not Dangeresque One came just in the nick of time. Look's like he's going to have to juuuuuummmmpppp!!!

For the H*R reference, you win 50 glasses of melonade.

I didn't used to think Mean Streak was that bad...then I rode much better woodies at Hershey and Knoebels, and my eyes were opened.

It's obvious that this coaster's time has come, just another failed Summers/Dinn venture that has a lot of negative public opinion behind it. I'll even go as far to say that this fire was a message from god..."Tear this unholy SOB down, and get GCI on the phone, PRONTO!"

OK, maybe not, but still...they should consider replacing this one.

Agreed. In my opinion the trims are what makes this a poor coaster, I never found it too rough.

I can't remember if it was last season or the one before that, but I remember the trims being gone for a short period of time and the difference in roughness and speed was apparent. That being said there still wasn't really any airtime to be found. The laterals were okay though. As the coaster runs now it is just very bland and definitely not as rough as people claim.

I didn't used to think Mean Streak was that bad...then I rode much better woodies at Hershey and Knoebels, and my eyes were opened.

It's obvious that this coaster's time has come, just another failed Summers/Dinn venture that has a lot of negative public opinion behind it. I'll even go as far to say that this fire was a message from god..."Tear this unholy SOB down, and get GCI on the phone, PRONTO!"

OK, maybe not, but still...they should consider replacing this one.

There are much better woodies at many more places than just Hershey and Knoebels. Heck there is a much better woody at the front of the same park. That alone doesn't spell out a death warrant. The ride will see it's final days when Cedar Point decides they NEED that space for something different. You said yourself that you didn't think it was that bad until you started riding other woodies, but you have to remember that the majority of the people visiting CP haven't the coaster counts we have. What do you think Cedar Point cares more about millions of people that make up the general public or a few thousand "enthusiasts?"

As nice as it would be I really don't see CP tearing out Mean Streak to put in a different woody. Yeah we would know the difference but would your average Joe Schmoe that visits once a year or every couple of years know it, or would they just see another wood coaster sitting in place of the last one they hated.

That being said I would trade Mean Streak for a CGI any day.

DSC_0043_NEF.jpg.4594d63a1e2c98065b5ae79cf8ceaacd.jpg

Now that I've stuck up for Mean Streak I'll point out the fact that even my 11 year old son knows to make fun of it!

There are much better woodies at many more places than just Hershey and Knoebels. Heck there is a much better woody at the front of the same park. That alone doesn't spell out a death warrant. The ride will see it's final days when Cedar Point decides they NEED that space for something different. You said yourself that you didn't think it was that bad until you started riding other woodies, but you have to remember that the majority of the people visiting CP haven't the coaster counts we have. What do you think Cedar Point cares more about millions of people that make up the general public or a few thousand "enthusiasts?"

As nice as it would be I really don't see CP tearing out Mean Streak to put in a different woody. Yeah we would know the difference but would your average Joe Schmoe that visits once a year or every couple of years know it, or would they just see another wood coaster sitting in place of the last one they hated.

That being said I would trade Mean Streak for a CGI any day.

^ Very good point.

I was just being dramatic anyway. I tend to do that.

My wife and I thought Mean Streak was pretty good when it first opened. People would come off the ride with big smiles. We rode it 10 times in a row the 2nd year it was open. It was smooth enough that you could do it that many times without getting banged up. It was never a big airtime ride except in just a couple places.

When we rode it last year it didn't beat us up but my kids thought it was too slow.

Jim

Sooooooo... stepping away from the three pages of Mean Streak (how is it that this thread always manages to make pages upon pages of non-discussion? Weird...), I thought I'd share a few thoughts about Halloweekends from Sunday the 26th.

As always, the crowds were pretty light. Most rides were a walk-on or close to it most of the day (although Maverick's wait did get up to an hour, a testament to its popularity, I guess, especially since TTD and MF had VERY short waits all day...), but of course, this being Halloweekends and all, there were lines throughout the day for the houses. I had never done them before, and I actually found them all to be 'decent' at best. Happy Jacks was my personal favorite, not because of the scares, but because there were some really 'cool' things in there, and fantastic actors. The Asylum was decent, but there really wasn't much to it. On a side note, there was virtually no one at Club Blood. Maybe it's because people forget that it's there, or every person at CP that day was on Team Jacob. I cannot give you an accurate conclusion.

So, overall I prefer the outdoor attractions (at least I did last year...) and I do appreciate the lack of gore. Gore is not my thing. And although the houses aren't the best, I still found them worth checking out.

I really need to find a good day to go. I'm planning on a Saturday since that is when I am not busy. I was planning next week, but it is looking to be a little too chilly. Man, this October and September weather. We just had some nice days and now these gross days coming in? I really haven't been to CP on a cold day. Does it really get ruined when you go on a day during the day in the 50's? I know less crowds will be there, but I rather wait another 10 minutes than be very cold.

Man, do I sound like a Cedar Point newbie when I'm not at all.

^Good luck with the Saturdays. I would rather wear gloves than have to wait 2 hours for anything. I actually find it fun when it's cold out. It's... different. And having lived in Cleveland my whole life, I guess I'm used to it. But if you could find a way to go on a Friday, it is worth it. It is eerie walking through the park and the scarezones with virtually no one there.

I've never done a Friday night. I've always been curious. I'll do one or two Saturdays every year and have done dozens and dozens of Sundays.

Anybody have any predictions on what the best remaining Halloweekends days will be? I'm going to CP one more time this season, and really want the odds in my favor, for my trip in August the crowds were brutal.

If you thought August crowds were brutal don't show up on a Saturday during Halloweekends. I promise you it's bad. Possibly their six busiest days of the year. Sundays are the complete opposite though. You will have zero problem getting through the whole park even with the shortened eight hour operating schedule. That being said if you want to experience the outdoor scare zones they are not open on Sundays, but if you are just going for coasters that's not an issue.

I know they used to do the one Sunday a year and I remember seeing something about the 10th but I guess I just assumed that was their "one" sunday a year again. Awesome to know they are gonna be open. I'm kind of assuming that they will open at six or something. Have you heard?

*edit

Oh and one of these days I wouldn't mind tracking you down and meeting up at least briefly. I see you on here enough. It would be nice to put a face to a name.

I was thinking the same time, so we'll have to see how CP handles this. I would hate if the zones are only open for an hour, you wait in line for Cornstalkers for that hour, then they say goodbye .

Unfortunately I won't be back up to CP until closing weekend, but let me know If your there.

I went specifically on a Saturday so I could check out the out door stuff. All the houses had pretty decent sized lines. On Sunday's the lines will be a lot shorter and I will be visiting on several Sunday's through the remainder of the season. So it seemed silly to wait through a long line when I'll have opportunities to practically just walk in to these houses later. So I haven't checked out the new house yet.

Back on the subject of Mean Streak. I have an 11 year old who is a budding enthusiast. He tells me that he spends all day watching "PVO's!" I don't care how many times I've corrected him there he keeps getting that one wrong. Anyways I pick him up for dinner the other night and he asked me if Mean Streak burnt down. It just seemed kind of surreal that my kid is now reading some of these sites and picking up on info like this. Out of curiosity I asked him to rank Mean Streak vs other coasters at the park. This is what he came up with.

1. Top Thrill Dragster

2. Millennium Force

3. Magnum

4. Maverick

5. Gemini

6. Raptor

7. Mantis

8. Wicked Twister

9. Mean Streak

10. Blue Streak

11. Iron Dragon

12. Disaster Transport

13. Corkscrew

14. Wildcat

15. Mine Ride

16. Woodstock Express

17. Jr. Gemini

I went specifically on a Saturday so I could check out the out door stuff. All the houses had pretty decent sized lines. On Sunday's the lines will be a lot shorter and I will be visiting on several Sunday's through the remainder of the season. So it seemed silly to wait through a long line when I'll have opportunities to practically just walk in to these houses later. So I haven't checked out the new house yet.

Back on the subject of Mean Streak. I have an 11 year old who is a budding enthusiast. He tells me that he spends all day watching "PVO's!" I don't care how many times I've corrected him there he keeps getting that one wrong. Anyways I pick him up for dinner the other night and he asked me if Mean Streak burnt down. It just seemed kind of surreal that my kid is now reading some of these sites and picking up on info like this. Out of curiosity I asked him to rank Mean Streak vs other coasters at the park. This is what he came up with.

1. Top Thrill Dragster

2. Millennium Force

3. Magnum

4. Maverick

5. Gemini

6. Raptor

7. Mantis

8. Wicked Twister

9. Mean Streak

10. Blue Streak

11. Iron Dragon

12. Disaster Transport

13. Corkscrew

14. Wildcat

15. Mine Ride

16. Woodstock Express

17. Jr. Gemini

Why no love for Jr. Gemini?

I've gone to FearFaire in previous years and it's always been at the bottom of my list of favorites. This year, I went to it on the first saturday of Halloweekends and it still wasn't too good. I didn't even bother with it this past weekend. Someone mentioned improves for this year!? What improves have they made since last year that I apparently didn't notice?

I'll most likely be there on the 25th.

Sorry we missed you, Brandon! I was finishing up my last few days at work before we left for the trip, and I didn't have access to a computer while we were in-route. We arrived just after noon on Saturday 9/25 and were there until closing.

Side note: I happened to notice that the Mean Streak was closed as well... haha... The only lights on the ride were on the lift hill, nothing in any of the staging or embarkation areas.

So according to MSNBC Mean Streak is closed for the rest of the season?

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39325041/ns/local_news-cleveland_oh/

Duly noted. I had not made it through the further posts before my previous reply (regarding the fire, etc). It was still noteworthy when we were hopping in line for Maverick -- "Hey look, that's funny... Mean Streak is closed! LOL"

Our trip review for Saturday, September 25th!

We had arrived into DTW Friday night, grabbed the rental car and enjoyed dinner at Cracker Barrel in Monroe, MI (there are no Cracker Barrel's in Nevada so I have to make do when I visit home!). We then drove down to Sandusky. We'd gotten a rate of $43/nite at the Red Roof Inn on Rte 250 (there are 6 or 7 motels in that area, an average of 2 stars for each but it's exactly what you need.. a reasonably comfortable bed and a shower to use before and after the park!)

After breakfast with a large group of friends and family on Saturday morning at Bob Evans just north of the hotel, we squeezed into the traffic melee for Cedar Point. Traffic wasn't as bad as I remembered from my last Halloweekends visit several years ago, and we parked near the 28A marker (at roughly 12:15). We then hit the following rides (We might be in our early thirties but it doesn't stop us from being 6 all over again!):

*Disaster Transport - Yay, Domo! The wait was roughly 15 minutes.

*Wicked Twister - 2nd and 3rd seats from the front - I always forget how that ride packs a bit of a punch! The wait was roughly 15 minutes.

..........Walked over and got some of the souvenir drinks and Garlic Parmesan Fries from Hot Potato............

*Raptor - Front seat is the only way to go.. especially great with an even number of four people, like we had this trip! The wait was roughly 45-50 minutes.

*Cedar Downs

*Cadillac Cars

..........A trip back to the 'personal storage unit' for a friend that didn't have her jacket on at the time... the wind had begun to kick up. There were a handful of rides that we thought were experiencing downtime, so we'd skip them but later in the day we'd see them running. (ie: Blue Streak, Top Thrill)

*Iron Dragon - This ride always cracks me up, especially the second lift hill where the chain practically stops and we joke about having to get out and push. It's a must-ride for sake of memorabilia purposes, as my mother loves the ride and she often calls the ride by its misnomer, the "Iron Maiden". There was a 5-10 minute wait.

*Wildcat - Someone earlier mentioned that they don't understand why the wait for this one is often long.. I've wondered the same! For such a small ride it was a 20-25 minute wait.

*Millennium Force - Roughly a 45-50 minute wait. I love the anticipation before getting on this one, I even kind of love the fact that I want to die halfway up that lift hill. It's so strange not having anything 'around' you when you really think about it... none of the normal stairs or grated walkways, the car itself is minimal and it's really just chairs bolted onto a frame. My boyfriend is blind as a bat without his glasses and, also is ridiculously afraid of heights. Therefore it was a good choice that we hopped in line at dusk, nearing full darkness when we boarded the train, so he was conscious the entire ride. He now understands my raving about the ride, he loved the speed and the fluidity.. and is now a fan of Intamin, btw.

.....We then grabbed chicken fingers and fries from the food stand just back over the railroad tracks (as though heading back toward Iron Dragon).....

*CP & LE Railroad - We had decided to cheat a little being that the railroad dumps you out right next to Maverick! The only sad part was that we missed seeing the LED forest... which I didn't think of until we'd left for the night.

*Maverick - Noting that Mean Streak was most definitely NOT in operation, lol. It's roughly 8pm by this point and the sky was clouded over, the wind wasn't as strong as it was during the earlier parts of the day. Ride wait was roughly 45 minutes.

*Cedar Creek Mine Ride/Skyhawk - one friend wanted to do Skyhawk, so she hit that while the rest of us hit up the Mine Ride. A helpful tip to anyone who may want to go on Mine Ride... they've tightened the lap bars drastically. It was impossible for some to ride - some people that were a bit larger (220lbs or so) had to exit the ride, there was also a girl of average height/size that chose not to ride because it was uncomfortable for her.

*Gemini - Holy cripes, we chose the very back car of each train, and we were airborne the entire ride! It actually made the ride unpredictable. Gemini is one I like to ride over and over on slow days because it's such a fun one if you're in a group). I'm sorry to say it kicked our butt based on the beat-up condition we were already in, which may cause automatic termination of my TPR account. LOL

*Magnum - I still love this coaster, that first hill offers such a great view and it's a fabulous ride. The air-time would be great if that lap bar didn't hurt my legs so much! LOL.

That ended our rides for the day, it was 11:40pm and we stumbled and shuffled our way to the front of the park to hit up the souvenir shops. Scored some good prices at Park Plaza - we had a 10% off coupon which made the promo tee that they offered us with purchase of over $30 in merchandise, scot-free!

We just got home last night from the trip, it was fantastic and the weather cooperated very nicely. I'll try to post pictures tonight if I can! If anyone is looking for coupons, I just checked the mail this afternoon and I got a huge pack of 2010 coupons for Cedar Point (of course)! There are some that are good for up to $7.00 off admission on Sunday and $5.00 off on Saturday, as well as $5.00 off any Starlight ticket. If anyone is interested drop me an email, I'd be happy to mail them to you as we can't use them!

Thanks for reading.