TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So is this going to be the first year that Cedar Fair Puts in no new coasters at any of there parks? so far CW, CP, KF, and KI have announced Windseekers, Dorney and Valleyfair got Snoopy, KD and Carrowinds got big rides last year.The only other parks are CGA and MA, and i somehow dont see them getting anything huge.

So is this going to be the first year that Cedar Fair Puts in no new coasters at any of there parks? so far CW, CP, KF, and KI have announced Windseekers, Dorney and Valleyfair got Snoopy, KD and Carrowinds got big rides last year.The only other parks are CGA and MA, and i somehow dont see them getting anything huge.

And no news or rumors from WoF and Gilroy.

^^ well, after large capital expenditures at a couple of parks this year - this is probably a good idea. Not that these things will be cheap, but this could position them for large cap. expenditures in the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

And no news or rumors from WoF and Gilroy.

I had forgotten about those 2, on the other side though they did say they were spending 80 mil in Cap Exp for 2011, and the things they have announced only adds up to around 32-36, so maybe Gilroy is getting that 300' Giga for 2011

So judging by all the stats, all of these rides with be 50 seconds to get to the top, 1min20sec rotation time, and another 50 seconds to descend.

By 3 minutes CF usually means the amount of time you're just in your seat. I know they did this with i305. But if that is the case then this might be a short ride!

Manufacturer:

Mondial Ascent/Descent:

50 Seconds

Height:

301 Feet (91.7 Meters) Rotation Speed:

8 Rotations per minute

25-30 mph (40-48 kmh)

Diameter in Full Swing:

110 Feet Location:

Next to Vortex, overlooking Wonder Mountain

Capacity:

32 Suspended Twin Seats

(64 total passengers) Cost:

$5,000,000

Max. Swing Angle of Arm:

Up to 45 degrees Groundbreaking:

Fall 2010

Ride Cycle Time:

3 Minutes Ride Opening:

Summer 2011

These were the stats from the Wonderland announcement page...so a 3min ride cycle, 50seconds for Ascent/Descent leaves only 1min20sec left to rotate...Unless its 50seconds total to raise and lower in which case we're looking at 2min10 seconds to rotate...which may be a fair bit dizzying...

Regardless though, all 4 of these rides are going to offer up amazing views..

Why does this seem like it was a short term planning period?

I mean 4 identical rides at their parks? I really think this was instituted at the end of last season!

So what now happens to Ocean Motion? The Jet Ski rental booth? The Resort Entrance? All of these questions...

^^

I'll say what I said again, because I don't think you saw it.

By 3 minutes CF usually means the amount of time you're just in your seat. I know they did this with i305. But if that is the case then this might be a short ride!

1 minute and 20 seconds may not seem long, but when your spinning 300ft in the air- yeah it may get a little tiring. 3 minutes is just a rough estimate of how long you'll actually be in your seat, not just the actual ride.

I'm curious to see how Cedar Fair is going to market this in Ohio, especially in Columbus. New in 2011 at CP, Windseeker! New at KI in 2011, the exact same ride. Come to KI and spend more money to ride the same ride again!

Good question and as a person living in Columbus Ohio (Go Bucks!), I was kind of hoping that each park would get something new.... but different new rides. I am not a complainer though, new is good.

^^

I'll say what I said again, because I don't think you saw it.

1 minute and 20 seconds may not seem long, but when your spinning 300ft in the air- yeah it may get a little tiring. 3 minutes is just a rough estimate of how long you'll actually be in your seat, not just the actual ride.

I did see what you wrote...i never said you'd be spinning for 3minutes...I said right from the get go you'd be spinning for 1min20 sec approx and that the ride time was 3min...ride time = total time from start to finish...

Cedar Point has announced that it will introduce WindSeeker, a 30-story-tall swing ride to the Sandusky, Ohio, amusement park/resort for next summer. WindSeeker will tower above everything around its location on the beach, rising almost as high as the Millennium Force roller coaster’s giant first hill.

In the early 1900s, the Cedar Point Beach was a hub of activity as families played in the sand or frolicked in the lake. One of its most popular attractions was the Sea Swings that would dip riders into the cool waters of Lake Erie as it spun in a circular motion.

Now 100 years later, Cedar Point will add a 21st century version of that thrilling ride to the park for next summer.

The new WindSeeker will be a 301-foot-tall tower that will spin riders nearly 30 stories above the Lake Erie shoreline. Seated in two-person swings that will allow their feet to dangle, riders will slowly begin rotating in a circular motion as the swings ascend the tower. At the top, the swings will be reaching speeds between 25-30 mph, flaring out almost 45 degrees from the tower. WindSeeker will be able to accommodate 64 riders (32 swings) at one time.

“Spinning almost 300 feet above Lake Erie and the Cedar Point Beach will be a very exciting ride experience for our guests,” said John Hildebrandt, the vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “Day or night, WindSeeker will provide riders with dramatic views of the park and the Cedar Point Peninsula. It will be an extremely popular addition to Cedar Point.”

WindSeeker will be positioned near the present location of the Ocean Motion swinging boat ride and will extend the park’s midway onto the Cedar Point Beach. At the end of the season, Ocean Motion, built in 1981, will be dismantled. It is currently available for sale.

In comparison to other Cedar Point rides, WindSeeker will climb nearly two stories higher than the cabin on the park’s Space Spiral observation ride and is only a few feet shorter than the first hill on Millennium Force. Another swing ride, the Wave Swinger that opened in Frontiertown in 1979, is 31 feet tall and has a top speed of approximately 9 mph.

The ride is manufactured by Mondial, a 23-year-old Dutch-based company. WindSeeker will cost approximately $5 million to build. Riders must be at least 48 inches tall and will be secured with individual over-the-head lap bars with interlocking seat belt.

Overall, Cedar Point will add more than $6 million in capital improvements to the park for 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9v_gIK9dzU

_cpws__2011_cap1.thumb.jpg.28fee51a15b7cd164b92fe9e17d7f804.jpg

_cpws__2011_cap2.thumb.jpg.6e72fee711f2638655dab3a9c458c83e.jpg

_cpws__2011_cap3.thumb.jpg.7ff151a1b26358a289eeb6b662955ff0.jpg

_cpws__2011_cap4.thumb.jpg.f279819ee482a548f20ed52201b757a9.jpg

_cpws__2011_cap5.thumb.jpg.840141e31495f53dbf96a8bd4bf6810c.jpg

Anyone want to write a movie called "Attack of the Windseekers" ?

If I had to guess now, on announcement day, I'd say these things end up being a large fail in enthusiast circles (multiple installations of the same ride, experience almost exactly the same, short ride time, limited reridability, could've had a GCI coaster for the same cost), and a mild success for the general public.