TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hey guys, I'm going to Cedar Point for the first time in my life sometime next week when I'm on vacation in Ohio. Like anyone else on this website would, I plan to ride as many roller coasters as I can in a single day at the park and I need some advice. After reading information on some Cedar Point fansites, I've already figured out some of the more basic plans (i.e. arrive at the park early, don't ride Raptor first, you can't ride Jr. Gemini without a little kid, etc.) but there are still some things I need some advice on.

Everything I've seen has suggested that I ride either TTD, MF, Maverick, or Disaster Transport first, which of these would be the best ride at the beginning of the day, given the summertime crowds? Which coasters (besides the ones I just mentioned) should I expect long lines? Is it better to have lunch and dinner inside or outside of the park, considering price and how long the outside restaurants are from the park? Are there any notable rides closed right now or that will be closed next week? Which notable non-coasters would you suggest if I have extra time in the park? Are there any coasters worth riding more than one time? Are there any coasters not worth riding at all? Etc, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance! I'll be sure to take many pictures of my own as a gift. On that note, are there any good places where I can sneak in a snapshot?

Disaster Transport doesn't open until 11, so unless you feel like waiting an hour (or two depending if you have early entry), go to TTD, MF, or Maverick first.

My 'must-rides' are:

-TTD

-MF

-Maverisk

-Magnum

-Mantis

-Raptor

-Gemini

-Wicked Twister

-MaXair (non-coaster)

-Skyhawk (non-coaster)

-Power Tower (non-coaster)

I'd suggest trying to do every major coaster and ride, but anything not on that list is fine if you miss it, and not worth going out of your way for, in my opinion.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

There's still two things that I see posing a possible problem to this being a Starflyer. One the capacity. Who would wait forever for a really high swing ride? When I was at KD, Volcano had a shorter line than Flying Ace. I will choose Volcano (and most CP coasters) over a Starflyer any day. Second, in the patent it said "paper picture frames for souvenir photographs". Can Starflyers even have ride photos?

Personally I really hope it's not a Starflyer, but I not just because I want a coaster. I just want a ride that actually has some force to it. Once you get over the fact you are 300 or 400 feet off the ground, its a fairly unexciting ride (and for the record, I have been on one).

^^^^Wildcats line tends to move slow, but it usually isnt too long. I would say best places to have lunch/dinner would depend on preference. Personally I like eating at the TGIFridays in Hotel Breakers to escape the heat and crowds for a little bit, but its really a matter of preference.

As far as non-coaster rides, Power Tower is usually pretty fun, but can be skipped as its pretty standard. I also usually hit Skyhwak, but that can also be skipped. I would hit all the coasters, none are horrible (well ok there IS Mean Streak...), and theres quite a few credits. Have fun! I'll be there Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week (its a strange coincidence honestly) so if you see me say hi! Send me a PM and let me know when you'll be there.

I think it's starting to get deep in here in regards to that flyer rumor. Serious, with the wide and varied locations of the utility markings, it is doubtful they would need that much room for that type of ride or need to relocate a crap load of stuff to dig a deep hole in the ground for a tower support.

Kinzel could have simply been referring to a ride type that would bring back a lot of memories, not necessarily an old Cedar Point ride... but who knows? He's crazy, and we're all insane for actually discussing this.

*cough* B&M woodie *cough*

EDIT: Yikes, I forgot how scary the world of CP faanboydom is. I'm going to pretend that I never even thought of involving myself in this.

Edited by BigDipper 80

I've stopped trusting most rumors about new rides at CP. When Maverick was under construction there was a rumor that where the station is now - there was going to be a 200' tall vertical loop.

I'll believe a Starflyer when I see it. And in the meantime, I"ll keep hoping for a beemer.

It's not a Beemer. It's not even a coaster. It's a Star Flyer-type ride. Keep hoping if you wish...but I would not suggest holding your breath (you'll pass out before you get that beemer, LOL).

That's still only 768 people per hour.

For a park like cedarpoint, I could imagine that the line is gonna be long.

Now something like feeltheforce posted , would work a lot better for capacity.

Edited by thrillrider

In that case, I bet it is that Intamin version, except each gondola will hold 16 instead of 12.

I couldn't imagine the capacity to be much different from MaXair and/or Skyhawk, which hold 50 and 40 people per cycle, respectively. Also, MaXair's cycle isn't exactly short at two and a half minutes.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Although I was really hoping for a woodie on or near the beach, I am starting to believe the star flyer hype. There was a definite connection to the history aspect of the park with a woodie and that is part of the reason that I felt confident about it. However with all of the star flyer talk I have remembered there is a historical picture in the Breakers of a spinning swing type ride on the water (actually in the water).

Sigh... Not planning on making it to the park next year anyway. Maybe a new coaster will be there in 2012.

And just for kicks, maybe with a name like STRATOSOAR it could be a modified flyer with people lying down in the restraints? Not sure that would work, but it would be a little different. Still not a fan of that name or this entire idea.

Hey guys, I'm going to Cedar Point for the first time in my life sometime next week when I'm on vacation in Ohio. Like anyone else on this website would, I plan to ride as many roller coasters as I can in a single day at the park and I need some advice. After reading information on some Cedar Point fansites, I've already figured out some of the more basic plans (i.e. arrive at the park early, don't ride Raptor first, you can't ride Jr. Gemini without a little kid, etc.) but there are still some things I need some advice on.

Everything I've seen has suggested that I ride either TTD, MF, Maverick, or Disaster Transport first, which of these would be the best ride at the beginning of the day, given the summertime crowds? Which coasters (besides the ones I just mentioned) should I expect long lines? Is it better to have lunch and dinner inside or outside of the park, considering price and how long the outside restaurants are from the park? Are there any notable rides closed right now or that will be closed next week? Which notable non-coasters would you suggest if I have extra time in the park? Are there any coasters worth riding more than one time? Are there any coasters not worth riding at all? Etc, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance! I'll be sure to take many pictures of my own as a gift. On that note, are there any good places where I can sneak in a snapshot?

The one ride whose line will definitely take the most time is TTD, so you should probably go there first. 18 seat trains...yeah. Millennium Force when it's most crowded usually takes around 45 - 50 minutes (depending on how fast the crew is going that day); Maverick is about an hour wait with full queues (once again, depending on how fast the crew is going that day). Magnum, Gemini, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Blue Streak, and Corkscrew are usually walk-on's (during a weekday). Disaster Transport even with full queues spilling out to Space Spiral will only take around 20 minutes, so don't worry about waiting for that ride. We (on the DT crew) make the line move as fast as possible. Another one you could go to first would be Wicked Twister. Right at 10, usually til about 10:15, the line doesn't exist. On a Sunday in July my dad and I walked slowly to WT first and got to walk right on to the front. Throughout the day, though, Twister's line can get pretty insane. Another ride whose line goes pretty quick is Raptor. I wouldn't suggest going in the morning unless you're one of the crazy people who run there as fast as you can right when the park opens. Raptor is open for ERT, but the line never accumulates before 10. Right at 10, the line grows to about an hour, but later in the day it will drop to around 30 minutes (half full queues). Some others like Iron Dragon, Wildcat, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak, Mantis, etc, are kind of unpredictable, so you just have to press your luck. For the last ride of the day I would suggest Millennium Force just because the view is amazing and the first drop at night is unbeatable!

Based on my first time visit on the 21st of July, I would go to TTD first. Maverick and MF are open for early entry ERT so they will already have pretty good lines from that (MF's line was spilling out the entrance at 10am and Maverick already had a full queue). We went to TTD at opening and got in in 30 minutes. After TTD you can hop on Corkscrew and Magnum really quick, then make your way around the back of the park. That is what we did and we got all of the coasters done in one day. We just saved MF for last (60 min wait at 9pm) and I got in line for Maverick right before closing!

When I hear of reports of lines of over 2 hours on MF and Maverick I cringe...

When I went on Math & Science Week The longest wait I had was for Maverick which was 45 mins... Most of the trip was spent going from coaster to coaster... average wait times was 10 to 5 mins... I guess I got lucky... Never waiting more than 15mins for MF (that was for the front row) and only waited 20 mins for TTD...

Also, a newer, larger Starflyer sounds very plausible... I don't think that this will be a Intamin ride...