TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how crowded the park will be on AUgust 17, 18, & 19th? Its a tues, wed, thurs. Is school back in for the kids in the area? How long will the waits be the big 3 coasters? Thanks guys. Trying to plan my second trip to cedar point. Im in Florida. So excited!

I did manage to consult with Karnak the Magnificent and he told me that the 17th should be okay with waits ranging from the 1/2 hour to 1 hour range for the big three. However, sporadic down time on MF, TTD and Maverick could change these wait times. Also, STR is going to have some down time so your wait times could vary for this new attraction.

Scattered rain showers throughout the Central Ohio region on the 18th could cause a problem with ride downtime though - so beware! On the 19th, you will be so sick of Cedar Point, chances are you won't care what the ride waits are like anyway!

Anyone at the park lately notice a major clearing by Mantis's staircase up to the station and by Iron Dragon, it just happened in the past week and its very strange, any one know why?

Actually, I did notice that when I was at the park (July 9th), but I was unaware it was anything new... I just figured it was an ugly area of the park.

I'd love to hear an explanation for that as well!

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how crowded the park will be on AUgust 17, 18, & 19th? Its a tues, wed, thurs. Is school back in for the kids in the area? How long will the waits be the big 3 coasters? Thanks guys. Trying to plan my second trip to cedar point. Im in Florida. So excited!

I went before schools broke up on a Monday/Tuesday and it was what I'd call busy (for an American Park not in Orlando, anyway. TBF it was like any major British park gets.)

I asked several staff why it was so busy and they were like "lol this isn't busy".

So I conclude that CP, like Orlando, is just permanently busy.

It's also crap.

EDIT: When they bother to open their rides, the queues move steadily because the one thing they rock at is throughput... But the queue will still be long. Even longer if it's raining anywhere closer than Australia, because there will only be one train, if it's open at all. The place is a joke.

I queued well over an hour for Maverick when it wasn't suffering intermittent closures due to magical invisible rain... We only really rode everything once over 2 days because the rides are too poor to want to queue more than 40 mins for, which is what you have to queue for, at least, for anything "major".

I went before schools broke up on a Monday/Tuesday and it was what I'd call busy (for an American Park not in Orlando, anyway. TBF it was like any major British park gets.)

I asked several staff why it was so busy and they were like "lol this isn't busy".

So I conclude that CP, like Orlando, is just permanently busy.

It's also crap.

EDIT: When they bother to open their rides, the queues move steadily because the one thing they rock at is throughput... But the queue will still be long. Even longer if it's raining anywhere closer than Australia, because there will only be one train, if it's open at all. The place is a joke.

I queued well over an hour for Maverick when it wasn't suffering intermittent closures due to magical invisible rain... We only really rode everything once over 2 days because the rides are too poor to want to queue more than 40 mins for, which is what you have to queue for, at least, for anything "major".

Rides close if there's lightning within a 15 mile radius from the park. It wasn't because of "invisible rain".

^Oh, I've seen plenty of stuff close due to invisible rain at CP. Their new as of around 2007 weather policies are a complete joke.

I'm pretty sure there was lightning in the area, though. 15 miles is pretty big and I saw no rain or lightning, heard no thunder, but they shut the park down for like 30 minutes. I may be wrong though, what are the new weather policies?

^Oh, I've seen plenty of stuff close due to invisible rain at CP. Their new as of around 2007 weather policies are a complete joke.

I'm pretty sure there was lightning in the area, though. 15 miles is pretty big and I saw no rain or lightning, heard no thunder, but they shut the park down for like 30 minutes. I may be wrong though, what are the new weather policies?

Whilst there may well have been lightning in the area, I sure didn't see any. Or hear thunder. For the entire 2 days I was there.

But that isn't relevant. The coasters aren't closing due to storms in the area. How do I know? Because firstly, their S&S towers were running. If you're concerned about lightning striking your rides, or causing power surges, then you close everything, especially tall rides. The second reason I know they weren't closed because of local storms is that many coasters operate in "rain" with one train operation. But obviously they can't really take all the trains bar one off Maverick, so that just closes down full stop.

The reason for it is post Magnum's accident on Maverick's opening day, I've since learnt. It rained all day and Mav operated fine, but when Magnum had the accident they've since enforced these new ridiculous rules. I bet Magnum's accident had nothing to do with the wet weather, since Big One had nearly the exact same accident (only worse, and they don't enforce this stupid policy at Blackpool) one should assume it's down to ride type.

What's mind boggling is that if Cedar Fair were really concerned about crashes like Mgnum's being down to rain, or lightning hitting their rides, or rain causing other problemsthatdon'texist, they'd enforce this rule at all their parks. They don't. I understand that parks out here in the US do need to be wary of storms that the UK doesn't get, but rain alone is no reason to shut a ride. Especially when there is no rain.

The reason for it is post Magnum's accident on Maverick's opening day, I've since learnt. It rained all day and Mav operated fine, but when Magnum had the accident they've since enforced these new ridiculous rules. I bet Magnum's accident had nothing to do with the wet weather, since Big One had nearly the exact same accident (only worse, and they don't enforce this stupid policy at Blackpool) one should assume it's down to ride type. quote]

The official press release about the incident (I wouldn't quite call it an accident) says the trains bumped due to moisture on the brake fins due to the rain all day. And the rain policies did become stricter after this incident, not that everything operated in the rain, but the 1-train operation policy was new.

Ah, thanks.

So why have CP always been so funny about the rain then?

And why isn't the one train operation policy present at all CF parks?

If it was a real concern, it would be in place at all CF parks. In fact, if it was a real concern, it would be national if not international law.

Still makes no sense to close rides when there is nothing but a grey sky.

Thanks for the info. Still not convinced that it's necessary for reasons I've already explained. When I went to KI it was miserable weather all morning and everything ran just fine, like you said. KD certainly don't close things until there's a storm present. Might be because these parks are still managed by the same people as they were when they were Paramount, I guess? Certainly a possibility.

I've always wondered why they think they have use less trains on coasters that use magnetic braking

Because, haven't you heard? Magnetic poles switch places when it rains.

^When I was there in May for M&S week (albeit with a big group) they were like $7 or $8 more to the price of our group tickets and you got unlimited soft drinks all day. I would say its worth it by a long shot, but I haven't taken the time to find out where to buy them.

I've always wondered why they think they have use less trains on coasters that use magnetic braking

Because, haven't you heard? Magnetic poles switch places when it rains.

Maybe that will turn Maverick's brake run into a launch section .

^^You can only get drink wristbands if you are with a group, like M&S. Us "normal" people are stuck with the souvenir cup refills.

I was there a few days ago and it was REALLY hot. There was a really short wait, maybe 5 minutes for STR. SRF and Thunder Canyon had enormous wait times. The rest of the rides had pretty short waits. We managed to get on Maverick and Millennium Force with short lines. Maybe 30-45 minutes. It could have been a great day if it wasn't so hot.

They also decreased the size of the free water cups. 4 of the new cups match up to one old one in terms of how much water they hold. I guess they gave out too much water of the Fourth of July weekend.

Isn't it easier to fill up one cup than to fill up multiple ones? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Isn't it easier to fill up one cup than to fill up multiple ones? Doesn't make any sense to me.

it would be easier if they just let you take a couple of bottles of water in on super hot days. I personally usually wear baggy enough shorts that a pepsi or aqua bottle will fit in my back pocket with a shirt covering it and walk on in. so far i haven't been caught...

another option is to have filtered water stations in the park where you can refill your 4.00 bottle you purchased earlier when you want.

Speaking of that, I need to check the KD/KI forum, i thought i saw where CF was testing out that concept on soda....but could be wrong.

I think you American's should just be happy it's so easy to get free tap water everywhere.

Admittedly, in the UK you can take any food or drink you like into parks - but it's fantastic to not have to carry a bottle of water around and have access to cold water and ice everywhere you go. I'm going to really miss it when I go back home.

A lot of people believe that it's also the law in the UK to provide water wherever you provide food. That isn't true. Most places will provide you with tap water if they have the option to and you buy food, but otherwise not. Our fountain drink machines just do not have the water option on them.