TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This is regarding if they build a wooden coaster...

I have always wondered, though, what constant moisture exposure and sandblasting would do to a wooden structure over time? If it has a significant impact (I don't know if it would or wouldn't, just speculating), then they might be limited to using a steel structure, like Great White, Voyage, or Ravine Flyer II (which isn't a bad thing, heck Timberliners might even be used). So unless Intamin or GCI can use steel structures also, that could automatically rule them out.

^^I really wonder how much sand blasting actually occurs on that beach. I don't think I've ever seen the wind kick up that much sand before, although then again, I've never been there in the offseason. There are other wooden coasters on sandy beaches, so I would have to think that a wooden structure would be ok.

^ Gemini and Mine Ride (and even Blue Streak and Mean Streak for that matter) aren't anywhere near sand. This one would be built literally right on (or within a few feet of) a beach.

^^ I don't recall one instance standing in line for Wicked Twister where the wind was calm. It's ALWAYS windy in that area. Now, like you said, how much sand is kicked up is unknown, but it's definitely not something to overlook.

There are other wooden coasters on sandy beaches, so I would have to think that a wooden structure would be ok.

Not too many from what I've found. The only one I could find via RCDB is Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and even then it's still slightly set back from the beach. Another one that comes to mind is Great White in Wildwood, but that has a steel structure.

^I realize it's windy, but I've never been in the middle of anything you could describe as even a mild "sandstorm." The Giant Dipper at Belmont is right on the beach, too, and it's pretty close to the sand. If the structure of Boardwalk Bullet could survive a hurricane (albeit with some damage), I think anything on the Lake Erie beach would be fine.

There are a lot of wooden coasters on the water...

Boardwalk bullet(kemiha boardwalk)

Great white(moreys piers) And another wooden coaster in the works.

swamp fox(family kingdom)

gwazi(not far from the water) busch gardens tampa

Plus the ones mentioned already, and several that used to be on the water at defunct parks like the rocket at oceanview park.

The main reason that disaster transport was enclosed, was because of sand getting in the track. But that's a type of ride where sand could collect easily.

There are a lot of wooden coasters on the water...

Boardwalk bullet(kemiha boardwalk)

Great white(moreys piers) And another wooden coaster in the works.

swamp fox(family kingdom)

gwazi(not far from the water) busch gardens tampa

Plus the ones mentioned already, and several that used to be on the water at defunct parks like the rocket at oceanview park.

The main reason that disaster transport was enclosed, was because of sand getting in the track. But that's a type of ride where sand could collect easily.

I wasn't talking about on water, I meant directly on a beach, there's little to no sand when there's no beach. Boardwalk Bullet has no sand, Great White has a steel structure, Swamp Fox has no sand, and the Hillsborogh River probably has about as much effect on Gwazi as the Monongahela River does on Kennywood's wooden coasters.

Maybe there's a reason why those coasters are defunct?

Regarding Disaster Transport, whether it can collect easier on that ride or not, that's still proof that sand is blowing around, and enough of it for that matter to have an effect on a ride.

^^ Yeah, I guess. California's wooden coasters are also built to withstand earthquakes, so with our technology, a little sand might not be anything to worry about. Maybe, at the worst, it would just raise maintenance costs, and perhaps Cedar Fair is well aware of that already.

Sand would have no effect on a wooden coaster structure...weather it be steel or wood. The only problem I could possibly see, is an issue with sand setting on the tracks. There are plenty of steel coasters on beaches/ water, so I doubt that is much of an issue.

The defunct park I spoke of, was not closed because of the coaster having issues, it was closed because the park was out dated and very small. People just did not visit the small seaside parks as much once the mega parks started popping up.

Sand would have no effect on a wooden coaster structure...weather it be steel or wood. The only problem I could possibly see, is an issue with sand setting on the tracks. There are plenty of steel coasters on beaches/ water, so I doubt that is much of an issue.

Pretty sure that's why they enclosed Avalanche Run and made it Disaster Transport.

Cedar Point needs to build the tallest and fasted GCI/B&M hybrid flying multilooper wooden launched coaster that circles the entire park with multiple underwater tunnels.

Well, atleast the GCI part would be amazing, especially if it were their tallest creation yet.

I don't know if DT was enclosed because of sand but Magnum and most other coasters have gaps between the track. DT is a completely closed trough, allowing sand that blows on top of the coaster nowhere to go. I do know that many places around Lake Erie put up sand fences durning the winter so blowing sand must be a problem.