TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The crowds should be moderate, and could possibly be heavy on the sunday you're there. However, you should easily be able to get on everything in two days, despite what some people say I've had pretty great experiences with Cedar Point's ride ops. 98% of the time they move really quick and do their best to keep wait times down. I'm pretty confident you'll be able to get on everything.

Was only there for three hours this morning. I assume Wicked Twister reopened later.

As for Chaos, it's been for sale for a while now. Considering Chaos is used in one of the banners out front this year, I'd imagine it's going to stick around, at least for this season. If not, I don't see why it wasn't removed already.

Great pictures! Regarding Chaos, it's for sale I believe. I wonder if it will even open at all this year? Regarding Wicked Twister, was it closed all day? If so, that sucks, WT is a must ride for me when I go to CP.

Chaos has been for sale for a couple years now. They'll continue to operate it until it's sold I would expect.

Paddlewheel!! <3

Great pictures, I miss the park and those brought back a lot of good memories.

I honestly think STR is such a waste of a LOT of potential with what they could have done to keep the aesthetics of Paddlewheel and the lagoon, like having the big drop head into the canyon leaving a "natural" barrier of the two rides, but meh it's Cedar Point.

SANDUSKY

Next year, the thrill is back.

Cedar Point’s new ride for 2011, which already has been ordered but not been announced publicly, will be aimed at thrill seekers, said Dick Kinzel, Cedar Fair’s CEO.

The amusement park’s long-term plans for new rides is closely veiled. But during an exclusive Register interview with Kinzel, he pulled the curtain aside a bit.

When asked if Cedar Point plans to maintain its status as the world’s leader for roller coasters and rides, he said: “Let me just put it this way. We went after the family market this year ... We’re going to go after the thrill seeker next year.”

Kinzel wouldn’t give more details. “There’s more thrill rides than roller coasters,” he said. “I can’t tell you what it is. It’s a very exciting ride.”

More details may not be forthcoming until Cedar Point makes its official announcement later this year about what’s new in 2011.

Robin Innes, Cedar Point’s spokesman, said that in recent years new attractions at Cedar Point have been announced in the late summer or early fall.

This year’s family ride, Shoot the Rapids, was announced Sept. 3. The announcement was preceded by a several-week media campaign of hints and official leaks.

Innes had no comment about when this year’s announcement will come.

“I’m not going to reveal any information about our plans next year,” he said.

Jeff Putz, webmaster for the Cedar Point fan site PointBuzz.com, said Cedar Point fans will welcome the news that a new ride is on the way.

“It keeps things fresh and it keeps people interested and engaged,” he said.

Usually before any new attraction, people spend months posting on the Internetaboutwhat’scoming next.

“There’s always speculation, and it’s usually wrong,” he said.

Indulging in a little speculation of his own, Putz said an announcement that would make the most sense would be “something that kind of fills a hole in their lineup.”

There aren’t many gaps at Cedar Point, but the park lacks a top spin ride, such as the one made by Huss Rides, Putz said.

Judging by this line from Kinzel, "There’s more thrill rides than roller coasters" I'm guessing that it won't be a coaster. Jeff Putz from PointBuzz speculates that it will be a Huss TopSpin.

If it were an Intamin woodie, or a coaster of similar magnitude, wouldn't we see some sort of activity/construction by now? If it isn't a Huss Top Spin, I'm guessing it's a ride that's at least of similar size, and isn't much bigger.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Id be pretty disappoint if its a top spin. I mean Im all for a new flat but unless they put some kind of "new spin" (no pun intended) on the top spin, Id really rather see something "newer" or at least more unique. Plus Im not a big fan of top spins in the first place lol.

SANDUSKY

Next year, the thrill is back.

Cedar Point’s new ride for 2011, which already has been ordered but not been announced publicly, will be aimed at thrill seekers, said Dick Kinzel, Cedar Fair’s CEO.

The amusement park’s long-term plans for new rides is closely veiled. But during an exclusive Register interview with Kinzel, he pulled the curtain aside a bit.

When asked if Cedar Point plans to maintain its status as the world’s leader for roller coasters and rides, he said: “Let me just put it this way. We went after the family market this year ... We’re going to go after the thrill seeker next year.”

Kinzel wouldn’t give more details. “There’s more thrill rides than roller coasters,” he said. “I can’t tell you what it is. It’s a very exciting ride.”

More details may not be forthcoming until Cedar Point makes its official announcement later this year about what’s new in 2011.

Robin Innes, Cedar Point’s spokesman, said that in recent years new attractions at Cedar Point have been announced in the late summer or early fall.

This year’s family ride, Shoot the Rapids, was announced Sept. 3. The announcement was preceded by a several-week media campaign of hints and official leaks.

Innes had no comment about when this year’s announcement will come.

“I’m not going to reveal any information about our plans next year,” he said.

Jeff Putz, webmaster for the Cedar Point fan site PointBuzz.com, said Cedar Point fans will welcome the news that a new ride is on the way.

“It keeps things fresh and it keeps people interested and engaged,” he said.

Usually before any new attraction, people spend months posting on the Internetaboutwhat’scoming next.

“There’s always speculation, and it’s usually wrong,” he said.

Indulging in a little speculation of his own, Putz said an announcement that would make the most sense would be “something that kind of fills a hole in their lineup.”

There aren’t many gaps at Cedar Point, but the park lacks a top spin ride, such as the one made by Huss Rides, Putz said.

Judging by this line from Kinzel, "There’s more thrill rides than roller coasters" I'm guessing that it won't be a coaster. Jeff Putz from PointBuzz thinks it will be a Huss TopSpin.

If it were an Intamin woodie, or a coaster of similar magnitude, wouldn't we see some sort of activity/construction by now? If it isn't a Huss Top Spin, I'm guessing it's a ride that's at least of similar size, and isn't much bigger.

Thank you!

I don't want to sound like a pathetic fanboy, but, a TopSpin would be a bit of a letdown considering they haven't gotten a new coaster since 2007. CP seems to be richly equipped when it comes to flatrides.

Even still, you're probably right that we would've seen some sort of construction now if they went for a big coaster.

Oh well, as long as they don't get an SLC.

Yeah, I would be disappointed in a Top Spin also. I'm not a fan of them, and aren't they plagued with problems anyway? I don't think CP would want to take on that burden (at least I hope not). I'm betting it's something newer.

I sure wouldn't mind a 300 foot Intamin Gyro drop to replace Demon Drop. I think that's too much wishful thinking, though.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

A Zac Spin in CP?

Hmm... Prepare for 4 hour lines then. "Insane", at Gröna Lund has a capacity of... hold on... 800 pph.

Unless Cedar Point were to purchase a custom with a larger capacity. At least 200 or 300 more an hour would be decent and doesn't sound unattainable. My guess was more less a joke but it's something I wont write off just yet. A Zacspin would fit perfect in the former DD site, not to mention they kept the old DD electrical building which I am guessing will be used for whatever else they add to that site.

As for a Top Spin, I don't see that. As Force just said aren't they plagued with problems? Has there even been a Top Spin addition to a park in the past couple years?

^ Wouldn't there be some sort of activity, whether it just be markers, if it were a new coaster? EDIT: I take that back. Looking at Renegade's thread, markers just started to show up in August of 2006, and Renegade opened in 2007.

It's just that, like I said, Mr. Kinzel's quote of "There's more thrill rides than coasters" leads me to believe that this isn't a roller coaster.

Another possibility I just thought of is a Disk-O, but is that really aimed at thrill seekers? Knowing Cedar Point, they'd probably make it the tallest and fastest of it's kind, so you never know.

^ Don't worry, I think MilleniumFan's sources aren't the best. Here's what he posted about Shoot The Rapids last year

The extra money is being spend on alot of theming from what I hear. The POV shows none of the theming but I hear it will be heavily themed

A Zac Spin in CP?

Hmm... Prepare for 4 hour lines then. "Insane", at Gröna Lund has a capacity of... hold on... 800 pph! http://rcdb.com/4309.htm

Sure, a Zac Spin would be a great ride, but I think an Intamin woodie would fit the park perfectly, and have a more reasonable capacity.

Why build one when you can have two at twice the price? ...And twice the capacity, theoretically.

A Zac Spin in CP?

Hmm... Prepare for 4 hour lines then. "Insane", at Gröna Lund has a capacity of... hold on... 800 pph! http://rcdb.com/4309.htm

Sure, a Zac Spin would be a great ride, but I think an Intamin woodie would fit the park perfectly, and have a more reasonable capacity.

Why build one when you can have two at twice the price? ...And twice the capacity, theoretically.

Actually, it doesn't seem too unrealistic! Two right next to each other would look awesome. Maybe they could even have different layouts but the same length?

Allright, just speculation...