TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'd say the very obvious pipes on the outside wall, as well as the kinda-themed lanters, would indicate it will be fully enclosed. Perhaps some audio themeing? I can hope...

I'm actually looking forward to this more than I expected I'd be. I typically pass on CP's water rides, but this may change that up a bit.

In regards to the park's First Rider auction for Shoot The Rapids, I'll be there on Opening Day to be one of the first 30 riders on the ride. I posted a winning bid of 100 dollars, it tickles my pride that I'll forever be part of Cedar Point's ride history and that I'll have memories that will last a lifetime.

I'm fricking excited, I'll make sure to have photos from the event.

http://www.firelandsredcross.org/ShootTheRapids/default.htm

Link for reference.

Edited by Chris Benvenuto

So since this is Cedar Point related I thought you guys might like to see! I came across this photo on facebook. It was taken yesterday... But no one can figure it out! Any ideas?

~Matthew

This photo was apparently taken in the fall, not recently. We placed a car on the track to install a new trim brake. Did I mention we have a new water ride this year? It's pretty sweet.

Gates have been installed

Why would they want gates on a ride like this? I mean, is this going to be like Pilgrim's Plunge where boats don't stop at the station and people have to board the boats while in motion or is this going to use a stop-and-go system like a coaster?

So since this is Cedar Point related I thought you guys might like to see! I came across this photo on facebook. It was taken yesterday... But no one can figure it out! Any ideas?

~Matthew

This photo was apparently taken in the fall, not recently. We placed a car on the track to install a new trim brake. Did I mention we have a new water ride this year? It's pretty sweet.

Well that's rather boring considering some of the more outlandish theories we had.

Why would they want gates on a ride like this? I mean, is this going to be like Pilgrim's Plunge where boats don't stop at the station and people have to board the boats while in motion or is this going to use a stop-and-go system like a coaster?

I'm going to place my money on having a system like Maverick. Two boats unload/load at once, once loaded they move forward, one into the trough one into the waiting position. Two new boats roll into the station. When the first dispatched boat is far enough away, the operators send the second.

Or they could use the system used on the Intamin rapids ride at Michigan's Adventure, where there are several positions for boats in the station. They load in position 2 and, depending on crowd level, position 3, with position 4 being waiting and position 1 being pre-dispatch. It's a very confusing process, but it might work on a ride like this.

My two guesses.

~Matthew

Can you fill me in on exactly where that is on the ride? The angle the picture was taken from is throwing me off. It looks to be in the same spot where there are already trims. Is it a new trim brake for the old location or a new trim on a different spot in the ride? Thanks Tony.

I'm going to place my money on having a system like Maverick. Two boats unload/load at once, once loaded they move forward, one into the trough one into the waiting position. Two new boats roll into the station. When the first dispatched boat is far enough away, the operators send the second.

Since there are two separate loading bays I assume they'll do it like on Maverick.

~Matthew

Can you fill me in on exactly where that is on the ride? The angle the picture was taken from is throwing me off. It looks to be in the same spot where there are already trims. Is it a new trim brake for the old location or a new trim on a different spot in the ride? Thanks Tony.

Looks like the same location the old trims are in...just probably a new brake, as they wear out after a while also, just like your car when it needs new brakes. They just needed something to test it with and reassure it works efficiently, I'm guessing.

Gates have been installed

These gates appear the same kind of set up they have on Perilous Plunge at Knotts - they arent pneumatic gates. They seem to be the magnetic locking gates that are unlocked from a panel and the guests simply "push" through to board when its your turn. I'm saying this based on the box and plate to the left of each gate.

And seeing the multiple sets of gates, I agree that this is likely to be a stop/go deal which, if loading two boats at a time, would be just as fast as a continuously moving station. Knowing how clumsy the GP are when getting into already moving ride vehicles, it might prove to be even faster.

^Yes it's just before the turn around where the existing trims are. They just have to make sure the brake pads contact and line up correctly with the brake fins on the train.

Bah, just slap a new set of brake fins and send a train. What could possibly go wrong? Other then a repeat of Wild Thing that is.

Sandusky Register has some great behind the scenes pictures of Shoot the Rapids over here. There is another link at the bottom with even more pictures and in my opinion, better pictures than what we have seen on Cedar Point.com lately.

FYI, the interview in the video is horrible. You have been warned.

^^^ That interview is GOD-AWFUL! The dude knows some stuff, but the reporters is dumb as a rock. Plus, I don't think Cedar Point should have built that new water park. STR cost enough already. ;D

By the way, any ideas for a meet-up opening day? I probably won't be there, but I'd suggest around Blue Streak. TPR takeover, anyone?

Well, I was at the park today getting my season pass processed, and avoiding severe thunderstorms in the area, while I was driving along and saw these little beauties.

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs397.snc3/24139_396767409984_736634984_3881516_7766153_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs397.snc3/24139_396767464984_736634984_3881517_1132905_n.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, I only had my DSi to take pictures with but seeing these made me even move excited for opening day. Only 20 days left

It'll be busy. On top of the school groups, Monday is the traditional Senior Skip Day for Ohio schools. I was there last year on the first Monday, and it was one of the busiest days at the park I saw all season.

It'll be busy. On top of the school groups, Monday is the traditional Senior Skip Day for Ohio schools. I was there last year on the first Monday, and it was one of the busiest days at the park I saw all season.

Tuesday is what I'm planning. So how were the lines?

I've experienced many types of 'busy' Hopefully after 3-4PM it'll clear up a bit. Park's open 'till 8.