TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Trying to support DBru here, but I think the "15yo" part had a particular negative connotation. Especially because other people on here (who are older than 15) had the same concerns about "How could this cost $10.5 million?" and capacity issues. Just my two cents.

Which again, is part of my problem, the way he phrased his entire first paragraph was less asking and more commenting that this ride shouldn't cost $6 million more then Pilgrims Plunge even if it ended with a question mark, and is a completely different ride at a completely different park with different construction hurdles to get around.

And this isn't limited to 15 year olds, but I was only commenting on his age and the tendency for younger members to think they know more about a certain subject when they really don't. All you have to do is look at how many times (young) people try to correct Robb, Elissa, and even Dave Thomas when it's clear those three, as an example, have way more experience in the subject being discussed usually theme parks, video games, or the entertainment industry. If he merely asked something along the lines of "Pilgrims Plunge was only $4.5 million, I wonder why this is $10.5 million?" I wouldn't nearly have had a problem with it.

Thanks for the support, guys.

RCFreak, I can understand where you are coming from, but I was just asking an honest question. Of course, you can't really tell someone's tone from reading their posts on a forum, and after reading my first paragraph over again, I can see how you might have interpreted it the way you did.

However, the way I see it, no other part in that post was stated as fact in any way. I don't understand how you thought I was acting like an "expert" at all. Take a second look at all of the sections that you quoted, and in them you will see:

It seems like...I bet...I doubt...that may cause...I'm guessing...

I try to never state anything as fact. There are people on this forum that do that a lot, and it annoys me, too. That's why I asked you to stop being so stereotypical...I wasn't stereotyping you...I just request that you don't rule me off as one of those posters. Believe it or not, there are lots of teenagers here that usually have something interesting or informative to write.

I've been here for a few years now, and you have no idea how tiring it gets to receive those belittling responses like the one you left me a couple hours ago. Not every 15 year old old acts like a child, and not every 24 acts like an adult. We all just need to start looking at things from both sides, I guess...

Looks like a fun ride and I hope it does have the waterfall and you get drenched. Any water ride I go on I expect to at least get wet, otherwise what's the point? If you get soaked, then even better. I find it oddly interesting the 2nd drop is shorter, I can't recall ever seeing that before. I wonder why they designed it that way? Maybe the 1st drop is for the thrill and the 2nd for the splash-(the rocks and water along the sides)? Also, does it have a coaster style lift? I noticed track in the vid.

The second drop is smaller than the first drop?

Am I seeing that right?

Otherwise, it looks like a good ride.

It's going to have very high capacity, 1200 an hour, and it could POSSIBLY, MAYBE, PROBABLY be.... THEMED!

Cedar Point has always needed another waterride, and a decent woodie, and they've got one of these now.

Re: Space left to build at Cedar Point

I bet sooner or later they'll take a page out of Six Flags playbook and start building on parking lots.

Didn't the Universal Orlando Resort build those parking garages on top of old parking lots in order to conserve space for their Resort Make Over in the mid to late 1990's?

This idea gets shot down about as often as the whole "build into the lake" idea does. The zoning laws in place pretty much prevent them from building out into the parking lot any farther than they already have, largely due to the houses in close proximity to the park at the end of Cedar Point Road.

About all I can see them doing parking-lot wise is when Demon Drop inevitably gets removed, they might be able to shoehorn something in there and maybe use part of the employee lot in the corner.

Wow I love all the bitching and moaning. Atleast the Intamin streak is DONE after this ride (5 ride contract is finished) I am very excited for this ride. LOL there is almost as much bitching in this thread as the I305 thread

The "5-ride contract" with Intamin is a complete myth that has been disproven countless times.

Kind of off topic but I have a question:

I was the first to post the official news right at 9:10am EST and I notice that when I look back several pages my post is......gone. Now I'm not mad or anything I am just curious as to why.

That's probably Robb's doing. If the first post to announce a new ride isn't very detailed, he usually deletes it and reposts a more detailed announcement in its place.

The second drop is smaller than the first drop?

I have seen that posted already, why does it matter which order they are in?

Its sort of an unwritten rule with water rides that you save the biggest till last...sort of like a grand finale. I think every single water ride I have ridden follows this format.

I think though they plan on spicing up the smaller drop by making it far more soaking than the first as it passes through the rocks.

BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!

I actually agree with this. I'm not a big water rides fan as it is, but there's absolutely nothing about this modern day nod to the classic that interests me. I mean, as I see it (of course this is just going off the press release images), a huge percentage of the ride is just slowly navigating a ground level trough. I could take a small dingy down a backyard canal and get the same feeling.

I think the reason I loved the old school log flumes is that many of them that I've ridden seemed to be on supports that put the trough high off the ground, thus making it visually interesting. This, and Pilgrims Plunge just look flat out boring besides the drops. I'd rather ride Maverick and then pour a huge cup of water over my head afterward.

This will certainly suit the GP, and I can't say Cedar Point made a bad move, but the design leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

They should add a tad more visual interest to the ride while it's on ground level. I know they can't afford to pull off Splash Mountain, but something along the banks. Other than that, I'm sure people will enjoy the ride quite a bit.

Kind of off topic but I have a question:

I was the first to post the official news right at 9:10am EST and I notice that when I look back several pages my post is......gone. Now I'm not mad or anything I am just curious as to why.

That's probably Robb's doing. If the first post to announce a new ride isn't very detailed, he usually deletes it and reposts a more detailed announcement in its place.

Yeah that's what I figured and that's fine. I just know now to refrain from that in the future.

I will agree with other statements even though the first drop is bigger, the second drop will most likely get you wetter and I bet that's why it's the finale.

Here's a couple intersting comments I found on the Cedar Point blog.

Q: What is all the stuff about "Whyte Lighting" then??? Just a little confused.

A: "White Lightning" is another name for moonshine, which plays a part in the ride's theme. Also, our friends at Carowinds were using "White Lightning" as a teaser to their new attraction. We thought we'd play along by using it, but tweaking "White" to be spelled, "Whyte" as a tribute to a member of our staff with the same last name. Just havin' a little fun.

Q: Since it has over the shoulder lap bars, and a chain lift, will cedar point be able to classify it as a roller coaster, and mover there record total to 18?

A: Shoot the Rapids is a water flume ride, not a roller coaster. We're focused on providing a well-rounded experience for the whole family at this time.

BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!

I actually agree with this. I'm not a big water rides fan as it is, but there's absolutely nothing about this modern day nod to the classic that interests me. I mean, as I see it (of course this is just going off the press release images), a huge percentage of the ride is just slowly navigating a ground level trough. I could take a small dingy down a backyard canal and get the same feeling.

I think the reason I loved the old school log flumes is that many of them that I've ridden seemed to be on supports that put the trough high off the ground, thus making it visually interesting. This, and Pilgrims Plunge just look flat out boring besides the drops. I'd rather ride Maverick and then pour a huge cup of water over my head afterward.

This will certainly suit the GP, and I can't say Cedar Point made a bad move, but the design leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

Thank you for giving an explanation for the original poster!

Since it has over the shoulder lap bars, and a chain lift, will cedar point be able to classify it as a roller coaster

Based on this logic, TTD, WT, MF and Maverick can technically be DEclassified as coasters* since they're missing one or both of these...

*I am intentionally being as anal and whiney as te person who posted on the CP blog.

I don't think having the larger drop first is a problem/ a bad thing, yes it's more traditional to end the ride with the biggest drop but that doesn't mean it should.

Anyone ridden Falls of The Nile at Terra Mitica? Biggest drop first, smaller drop second, and in my opinion, the ride would be no better if the larger drop was second.

I find it funny that alot of people ( myself included ) looks for something innovative at one point and when they do get it they want something more traditional, i'm guilty of this numerous times.

Looks like a great ride though! I'm really liking the waterfall and the rapids at the end of the second drop.

Looks like the next generation log flume. We'll probably see more of these or parks replacing out dated log flumes with these. CP already did. But we shall see. For all we know it could completely suck!

Except it isn't a log.

And how does a log flume become outdated anyways?

^30+ year old rides from companies that don't exist anymore thats how. Imagine trying to find parts for some of these rides. Most parks have to fabricate them themselves. I definitely think the "old school" log flumes' days are numbered at most parks.

^ You are talking to a guy with old cars.

But yeah, I can understand how parts can become a problem. When Arrow was taken over by S&S, did all the part manufacturing die with it?

It's a shame to see parks remove these flume rides because while they might be mechanically obsolete, I can't imagine they are obsolete in the eyes of patrons.