TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

$10.5 mil USD for this sounds about right. In 1998, Warner Bros Movie World in Australia opened Wild West Falls, and at that point they spent the equivalent of $16 Mil USD.

Wild West Falls is a comparable ride in terms of height etc, but this one has less theming, so that would account for the lower cost of the CP version.

As for HWs being cheaper, who knows, perhaps Intamin are willing to discount on the first installation of a particular design, just so they can have a working model to point to for potential future sales.

Id also attribute some of the lower cost to the lack of theming on Pilgrims plunge, and less use of steel....The first lift hill on Shoot the Rapids is listed as being 85ft high at an angle of 25 degrees, which means you'd still need a lift 200ft long to get to that point (By comparison, Pilgrims plunges lift is only 135 ft when measured linearly) This is only rough, but you can begin to see, how even though the structure is shorter, it is having to span further, so it would begin to use more raw materials (And i haven't even calculated for the second lift, but that is still going to use a decent amount of steel too)

What HW got was probably the simplest way to get boats up high and drop them, this is a bit more sprawing, so I think that explains the difference.

As for the ride, I reckon it looks pretty cool, they cant always build big coasters, and there is no doubt that water rides are crowd pleasers no matter which park you visit.

TBH I am surprised they didn't do their usual thing, and go for a world record, since that is sort of an easy one to get with water rides.

Try 4.5. I don't understand how this ride could possibly cost $6 million MORE than Pilgrims Plunge, which not only is 40 feet taller, but also uses an elevator lift, which surely wasn't cheap. I know that this ride has an extra drop, but that second hill is less than 50ft tall, and uses a traditional lift hill. How does that add up to $10.5 million?

PP was 4.3 Million, and that got them the world's tallest water ride, and 1480 feet of total length.

CP is getting a ride with 620 more feet and 3 boats and adds 6.2 million to the ride cost. I'm with you, I cannot comprehend this price at all. I need to see a breakdown to get it.

In the history of log flume styled rides, I don't know of any that the last drop is the small drop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_flume_(attraction)

I'll continue to point out:

Look at many attractions created outside of the U.S. compared - better overall quality rides, story, and theme has been -mostly- outsourced. Continue to accept subpar, continue to receive subpar.

I really feel A LOT of the decision makers in the industry have lost the focus of building these rides in the first place ... tell a good story, visual candy, anticipation, a build up to a great ending (in the case of log rides), a ride time & length that's worth the wait. I find smaller & independent park operators understand this more every year.

A friend commented saying that roller coasters have a big first drop. The difference, unfortunately, is roller coasters typically don't really meander slowly around for a few minutes before you reach the next big element. The Loch Ness Monster (BGW) does this, but in the absolute best way.

Kids will enjoy the ride, but also say, "why was the last drop so small? The first one was great!"

Do an image search for "log flumes" and see that nearly every picture is the "big" drop ... the main focus for the GP and enthusiasts alike. The big drop on this ride faces away from the walkways and view (unless there are expansion plans for the future).

It's a great idea for a family attraction, but a little "off" the mark with the details.

I do appreciate the continued investment from our park decision makers. I feel though it's time to make sure attractions maximize the ROI even if you have to wait a year, make no major additions, and do it right. The high quality maximized attraction will build great long term ROI from the missed year.

Wow I love all the bitching and moaning. Atleast the Intamin streak is DONE after this ride (5 ride contract is finished) I am very excited for this ride. LOL there is almost as much bitching in this thread as the I305 thread

Well someone is a cranky pants.

But really, no matter how much you complain about the complainers, they're still going to....COMPLAIN!

My two cents.

Anywho, you guys have to be right, that extra cash has got to go to themeing. The description of the ride talks about it some but the animation doesn't really show, any.

I'd say the reason for the cost is the fact that there's a lot of land excavation to happen. If you look, that corner of Millennium Island is now water, along with a large portion of the mainland part of the ride. Moving earth isn't cheap. And there does appear to be a lot more to this ride than PP even if the ride is shorter in height. Honestly, the structure of PP isn't all that complex and probably didn't cost as much as some of you are thinking. It doesn't surprise me that this ride is costing 10.5 million. And there are more boats along with a lot of extra track.

But really, we don't know what this 10.5 million is covering just as we don't know what PP's 4.3 million was covering. One could be talking about just the ride, the other could be talking about the cost of the ride, advertising, changes in signs, changes to the midway, the cost of the line, etc. There's really no one here that's actually qualified to really know why there is such a large difference in cost between this and PP.

Didn't Pilgrim's Plunge cost around $8 million?

Try 4.5. I don't understand how this ride could possibly cost $6 million MORE than Pilgrims Plunge, which not only is 40 feet taller, but also uses an elevator lift, which surely wasn't cheap. I know that this ride has an extra drop, but that second hill is less than 50ft tall, and uses a traditional lift hill. How does that add up to $10.5 million?

But that aside, I think this looks like a great addition to the Point. It seems like it will be in a nice location, and the look of the final drop into those "rapids" will turn out to be really cool, I bet.

Judging by the fact that the Pilgrims Plunge's boats are dropping from an extra 40 feet, and that you rarely get completely "soaked" on that ride, I doubt you will get as wet on STR as many of you are imagining. Of course, if they end up installing that waterfall as it is in the animation, that may cause problems...by you shouldn't pay too close attention to the 3D renderings on a ride like this. (Remember how large they displayed PP's splash as being? Yeah...that's not how it turned out).

With only 7 boats, PP's line never stops moving, and I'm guessing that it also has longer blocking intervals, because of the elevator lift. Therefore, I doubt capacity will be much of an issue on this new ride. Can't wait to ride STR next year!

lol 15 year old "experts."

Oh, I'm sorry...I forgot that 15 year old teenagers can't read or make observations.

Maybe if you opened your eyes and stopped being so stereotypical, you could actually read over my post and tell me what you find wrong with it. I didn't think you had to be an "expert" to comprehend a couple of press releases...

Didn't Pilgrim's Plunge cost around $8 million?

But that aside, I think this looks like a great addition to the Point. It seems like it will be in a nice location, and the look of the final drop into those "rapids" will turn out to be really cool, I bet.

Judging by the fact that the Pilgrims Plunge's boats are dropping from an extra 40 feet, and that you rarely get completely "soaked" on that ride, I doubt you will get as wet on STR as many of you are imagining. Of course, if they end up installing that waterfall as it is in the animation, that may cause problems...by you shouldn't pay too close attention to the 3D renderings on a ride like this. (Remember how large they displayed PP's splash as being? Yeah...that's not how it turned out).

With only 7 boats, PP's line never stops moving, and I'm guessing that it also has longer blocking intervals, because of the elevator lift. Therefore, I doubt capacity will be much of an issue on this new ride. Can't wait to ride STR next year!

Oh, I'm sorry...I forgot that 15 year old teenagers can't read or make observations.

Maybe if you opened your eyes and stopped being so stereotypical, you could actually read over my post and tell me what you find wrong with it. I didn't think you had to be an "expert" to comprehend a couple of press releases...

Eh, you do seem to be a bit into yourself...I mean, your avatar is a picture of you...

Re: Space left to build at Cedar Point

I bet sooner or later they'll take a page out of Six Flags playbook and start building on parking lots.

Seriously--and I say this with love--Cedar Point has been "out of room" for at least 10 years. And in that time, they've built four new coasters (two of which were the world's largest), two giant flat rides, and now this. Let it go, folks.

I bet sooner or later they'll take a page out of Six Flags playbook and start building on parking lots.

Seriously--and I say this with love--Cedar Point has been "out of room" for at least 10 years. And in that time, they've built four new coasters (two of which were the world's largest), two giant flat rides, and now this. Let it go, folks.

Obviously not.

Where did Maverick, TTD, Wicked Twister, and now STR all wind up?

Open spaces.

I hardly call MF the world's tallest anyway. Steel Dragon opened what, ten days later to take the title?

Obviously not.

Open spaces.

I hardly call MF the world's tallest anyway. Steel Dragon opened what, ten days later to take the title?

Obviously not.

Open spaces.

Well, for TTD, Maverick and WT, I wouldn't really call them open spaces. Things were there before, and were moved/removed.

The reason for the added cost of this compared to PP might also be because of the location. I can imagine that putting it on Millenium Island might prove some problems with regards to foundation work. I'm guessing this ride has to be connected to bedrock or have some really deep foundations, and with the island site this might be more difficult? Seeing as CP is on a peninsula this might maybe be a problem for the whole park, increasing costs?

Ok then,

I'm glad you don't see why the cost is 10.5 million, there can be many many reasons for this, perhaps on the island there isn't sufficient power for the ride or the effects they have planned so they have to build a new line out to the island. From what I can see they are going to keep Paddlewheel open so they will have to drain the lagoon and build under (and it's pretty deep in some parts of that lagoon up to 30' if I remember correctly). Even if they put it on on of the other rides lines, they still have the challenge of transferring the power onto the island.

The ride runs right over Paddlewheel's path and takes up a lot of former real estate occupied by the rides animatronics (most noteably, the "Canfield and McGee" section of the ride which deals which two feuding families over moonshine, Good job Cedar Point on that front) and static displays (The town of Seville comes to mind as well as Bucky the Beaver). So incorporating this ride into that area of the park where they chose means they have to reorganize more then Holiday World building on an open area of the park. Not to mention if they have to make any actual changes to the island itself for the ride. We also don't know if they will have to reroute the train as it runs right next to the planned area of the ride. It all adds up very quickly.

Point is, no company is going to spend more then they really have to on large projects especially in this financial climate, so it's not like they are over inflating the cost of the entire project just to make the price-tag sound more impressive. The ride is $10.5 million for a reason whether you see it or not.

I partly agree here, I already mentioned in my previous post that as a former Capitan on Paddlewheel I am saddened by how much more this ride will destroy the ambiance the ride had when I was there (2004-2005). But Will admit the ride looks fun and a much needed addition to the park after the removal of White Water landing.

Moving on to other discussions in the thread, the second drop may be smaller but it will be much more visually impressive then the first drop. Holiday World's Pilgrims Plunge proved the splash from the drop was less then impressive despite being a taller drop then say, Perilous Plunge or even Snake River Falls which will be right next to the ride, that both have very impressive splash sizes. The resulting splash from the 85' drop can't really "sell" the ride as much as Intamin had hoped, so Cedar Point did the better thing and added a theming element similar to Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure which not only will add an additional way to get you soaked, but will also serve as the ride's "signature" which will be highly visible off of the train. Another great move on Cedar Point's part as they are aiming for the families that ride the train to head over to this new attraction.

The difference is a splash in a 3D rendering is impossible to predict as it will never be the same twice and that was more wishful thinking, not so with major special effects the park plans to add (noteably the nice throwback to WWL with the rocks with the waterfall section on the island). All you have to do is look at the concept videos of Maverick and what actually came to be to compare this.

That would be Maverick's concept art which you should compare to this ariel picture of the ride. Sure not absolutely everything made it in and it's not all exactly the smae, but Maverick was much more ambitious in the theming presented in the concept video (which is made far before the ride is debuted and built, and things change all the time as new budgets and issues arise during the construction process. And this is not only in amusement park rides, but in almost every aspect of life.

So yes I would pay close attention to what's in the renderings. And be ready to buy a poncho if you don't want to get soaked. Of course they could always try a "winter mode" which they have tried before on their water rides (the mags on Perilous Plunge that never quite worked, but can control the size of the splash) could turn down or off the extra water effects to keep the ride running in more various temperatures and still have more ridership.

How do you know how long the interval will be between the two rides when even Intamin and the programmers don't know exactly on SRT. Sure they have their estimations (which predicted the splash in the Pilgrims Plunge animation) but in the real world it's quite defferent until they have the boasts running through. You never know SRT could have even longer intervals depending on how fast they have the lift. Of course now I'm being picky just to be picky.

As much as people seem to hate them, they are Stereotypes for a reason, and please I would love to know which Stereotype I have fallen into this time (Being a homo beaner from Southern California, I have quite a few I can pretend to be lol). You don't have to be an expert to try and comprehend a couple of press releases, but you should actually be more informed when you make the statements you did and in the tone in which you presented yourself (and not just in this thread). Chose your words wisely kids, someone is always watching.

It looks like a good ride, the only thing I don't like that others mentioned is that if that waterfall is added to the final ride, you are going to get soaked. I usually skip rapid rides and splashdown boat rides at parks because I don't want to get drenched but will usually ride the log flume because you usually just get some drops of water on you. It's too bad they couldn't have done the same with this, enough water to cool you off but not enough to get soaked.

^That's what I like about log flumes too. I think they are a necessary for large parks with hot summers.

I don't like to get soaked which is why you wont see me on SFMM's Roaring Rapids anytime soon, but I love that they have both Log Jammer and Jet Stream.

Kind of off topic but I have a question:

I was the first to post the official news right at 9:10am EST and I notice that when I look back several pages my post is......gone. Now I'm not mad or anything I am just curious as to why.

Robb usually likes to have one big official announcement instead of a bunch all over the thread. Its just a way to tidy up the thread and get all the information out. He did the same thing with both the Intimidator rides, and I had the same thing happen. I looked back and my posts were gone lol.

Regarding the ride, I am more than pleased. I am going to be heading to Cedar Point in July, and it will be nice to have another ride to cool off on. I hope the ride stays true to the animation and maybe has a few more features along the ride because you will absolutely get soaked.

As much as people seem to hate them, they are Stereotypes for a reason, and please I would love to know which Stereotype I have fallen into this time (Being a homo beaner from Southern California, I have quite a few I can pretend to be lol). You don't have to be an expert to try and comprehend a couple of press releases, but you should actually be more informed when you make the statements you did and in the tone in which you presented yourself (and not just in this thread). Chose your words wisely kids, someone is always watching.

Trying to support DBru here, but I think the "15yo" part had a particular negative connotation. Especially because other people on here (who are older than 15) had the same concerns about "How could this cost $10.5 million?" and capacity issues. Just my two cents.

Anyway, the ride looks very cool and a great way to cool off at CP. I for one am a big log flume fan and this one looks perfect for the area and for the park.