TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Less Than 24 Hours.till we release the details on our 2010 attraction.

Don't forget, tomorrow at 9:10 a.m., we'll have everything about it right here on our website.

But before we let you go until then, how 'bout a little info about the "thing"?

Obviously, we can't confirm what it will be just yet, but we can tell you that it's geared for the whole family and it will round out our attraction line up just nicely. And, of course, we think it's a great addition to the park.

See you at 9:10 tomorrow morning!

does anybody else those words i made bold are clues to anything?

I don't think any park in America has more quality flats.

Until the past couple of years SFNE had the best flat lineup I'd ever seen. It's been gutted quite a bit since but I always like to point it out, they never seemed to get much credit for it back then.

I think CP's is fined. Probably wouldn't be due for something else in the flat ride department for another few years.

^ It was posted two posts above mine hence the ^^

Obviously, we can't confirm what it will be just yet, but we can tell you that it's geared for the whole family and it will round out our attraction line up just nicely. And, of course, we think it's a great addition to the park.

EDIT: I'm hoping for the Disko so the fanboys will cry foul.

^I was pointing out how ridiculous his comment was. I don't think any park in America has more quality flats. I always find it funny when people make the statement that CP is lacking flats. When I lived by SFMM I never realized how little flats they had until I moved to Ohio.

Sorry hard to pick up sarcasm in writing lol.

Just to let everyone know if they have some kind of special like model or something special set up at the park tomorrow I'll go over and take pictures. I can't get in till 9:30am cause I just have a platinum pass though so it looks like I'll miss a press conference.

^I was pointing out how ridiculous his comment was. I don't think any park in America has more quality flats. I always find it funny when people make the statement that CP is lacking flats. When I lived by SFMM I never realized how little flats they had until I moved to Ohio.

Well CP definitely has a lot of flats, but a lot are rides that a lot of carnivals carry (scrambler, himalaya, matterhorn, chaos, Ocean Motion). The unique/major ones are MaxAir, Power Tower, Cedar Downs, Skyhawk, and Demon Drop (maybe Troika).

I think some place like Knoebels or Kennywood has better unique flats. Even (although I'm a little bit biased) CGA and SCBB have really good collections of unique and interesting flats.

^about the whole "Geared" and "Round" thing---

Kinds sounds like a turntable which would make that thing I found on Wikipedia make sense if they are talking about a reverser turntable for the water/coaster hybrid. (p.s. I think the Wikipedia page has been deleted as of a couple days ago.)

I was really hoping for a flyer or a GCI, but a new water ride would be great. It does get mighty sticky some days at The Point.

We'll know in 7.5 hours in my time zone.

A Whitewater Family Adventure Begins!

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/water/shoot_the_rapids/index.cfm

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Grab your paddles and climb aboard the newest river-ride adventure this side of the Appalachians! Shoot the Rapids, an all-new family water ride, will rise above Cedar Point’s rustic Frontier Trail when it makes a splash on Opening Day 2010.

During the 2,100-foot-long journey, adventurers will travel through a wooded area and around an illegal still used for brewing sweet-tasting elixir, all while encountering surprise water elements and special effects. Guests will navigate the waters aboard a 10-passenger boat. Riders will be seated in five rows of two and will be secured by individual over-the-head lap bars.

The excitement builds when the boats ascend one of two lift hills. The first and largest hill will be 85 feet tall and will drop riders down onto Millennium Island at a 45-degree angle. The second hill will be 49 feet tall and will end with a dramatic “shoot” through water rapids and rockwork.

Guests on the Frontier Trail can keep their feet planted on dry land and watch as riders complete their wet and wild trek down the final drop.

“Shoot the Rapids will instantly become a family favorite,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “Our guests wanted another option to cool off on warm summer days. We listened, and Shoot the Rapids will deliver the perfect combination of refreshment, thrills and new memories at Cedar Point.”

Shoot the Rapids will cost more than $10.5 million to build and will be the most expensive water ride ever built at Cedar Point. It will have a capacity of approximately 1,200 riders per hour. The ride will last three minutes. A rider height requirement has not yet been determined and will be released at a later date. The ride was designed and manufactured by IntaRide LLC of Glen Burnie, Md., the same company that built the Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force roller coasters and the Thunder Canyon river-rafting ride.

Ready to take a ride? Please visit cedarpoint.com for a computer animation of Shoot the Rapids, plus construction updates and photos, a live construction webcam, video blogs and more.

All The Details

Design

Capacity Approximately 1,200 riders per hour

Ride Time Approximately 3 minutes

Color Scheme Tan-colored supports and steel trough

Manufacturing

Manufacturer IntaRide LLC

Investment $10.5 Million

Boat Statistics

Number of Boats 10 fiberglass boats

Riders Per Boat 10

Safety Restraint Individual over-the-head lap bars with hand grips

Seating Individual seats; five rows of two per boat

Physical Dimensions

Angle of Descent 45 degrees

Angle of Lift Hill Ascent 25 degrees

First Drop Height 85 feet

Ride Length 2,100 feet

Second Drop Height 49 feet

Water Volume 728,000 gallons of chlorinated, filtered water

Videos:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/water/shoot_the_rapids/videos.cfm

str_aerial01.jpg.26664a85d2d28f7c950a17a410ae74bf.jpg

str_firstdrop.jpg.a4af4cb54d85b689366649be734188f9.jpg

str_finalsplash.jpg.da1b34c8a4be39a2864069c2e07ee6da.jpg

str_aerial02.jpg.15f8bb0fecb94a181450defdefe4dd34.jpg

I always thought CP needed a not too wet ride after getting rid of the Mill Race and White Water Landing, and this is it!

If you watch the animation, you will get completely soaked on this ride.

Looks like a decent addition to the park, but as a former Paddlewheel captain, good bye to what little charm was left along that side of the ride.