TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^and^^ thanks, I knew I was forgetting something. Makes the argument even stronger that Ohioans are just used to Cedar Point getting something major basically every year or two.

I know I already stated this, but after thinking about it some more, I really hope that it isn't a roller coaster and is a nice water attraction. A good family ride in that section of the park to take advantage of the nature in that area would be fantastic, even if it doesn't live up to everyone's wishes. Cedar Point is hardly lacking in large scale thrill rides and could use some more large scale family attractions. A mid thrill flume style ride with a relaxing section as well as a nice drop would be great for next year. I'm excited for the announcement to see who was correct in their guesses and what exactly what they are building.

A good family ride in that section of the park to take advantage of the nature in that area would be fantastic

I doubt that, because Cedar Fair's idea of "Taking advantage of nature" isnt using nature to enhance a ride, no, not at all, they use the other meaning of "taking advantage of" and rape nature instead.

A good family ride in that section of the park to take advantage of the nature in that area would be fantastic

I doubt that, because Cedar Fair's idea of "Taking advantage of nature" isnt using nature to enhance a ride, no, not at all, they use the other meaning of "taking advantage of" and rape nature instead.

LOL

^Yep...

Today, September 02, 2009, 2:21:00 PM

...till we release the details on our 2010 attraction. Don't forget, tomorrow at 9:10 a.m., we'll have everything about it right here on our website. But before we let you go until then, how 'bout a little info about the "thing"? Obviously, we can't confirm what it will be just yet, but we can tell you that it's geared for the whole family and it will round out our attraction line up just nicely. And, of course, we think it's a great addition to the park. See you at 9:10 tomorrow morning!

Well, you just kicked my butt off of my seat didn't you?

Some parks go years, and years without a new, top of the line coaster. But this is Cedar Point right? 3 years is way too long to go without a coaster. It is not like Cedar Fair is putting a ton of investment in to other parks within their chain or anything. Or, that the entire amusement industry is feeling the crunch of the recession the U.S. is in. No, not Cedar Point. They are invinsible.

Like it or not, CP has certain expectations that come with being one of the highest profile parks on the planet. I'm sorry, but I don't think a new coaster every 3/4 years is asking too much for a place like CP. Now if I was saying Kennywood should be adding a multi million dollar coaster every couple of years, that would be ridiculous, because they obviously are not in the same league as a place like CP, hence the expectations are completely different for a place like that. I'm not saying CP has to have a new coaster every 3 to 4 years or I'll throw a tantrum but I don't think that fans expecting that are asking too much is all. Not to mention there are tons of parks that are much lower on the amusement park food chain that do add a new coaster on average of every 3 to 4 years. So I don't see why that's asking too much of CP.

That type of thinking may have been the norm almost 20 years ago but we ARE in a recession(thank you MR. Bush) & CP's attendance HAS been negatively effected by it so there's no sense from a financial standpoint in installing yet another coaster when not many people in their target market(especially Detroit) can even afford to visit the park.

I think CP is learning that they can go years without a new coaster & the only ones it will really effect are the enthusiasts who've been spoiled over the years & as a result come to expect certain things of the park that aren't going to happen all the time like clockwork....that's a lesson that certain SF parks could benefit from learning as well.

Well, you just kicked my butt off of my seat didn't you?

Some parks go years, and years without a new, top of the line coaster. But this is Cedar Point right? 3 years is way too long to go without a coaster. It is not like Cedar Fair is putting a ton of investment in to other parks within their chain or anything. Or, that the entire amusement industry is feeling the crunch of the recession the U.S. is in. No, not Cedar Point. They are invinsible.

Like it or not, CP has certain expectations that come with being one of the highest profile parks on the planet. I'm sorry, but I don't think a new coaster every 3/4 years is asking too much for a place like CP. Now if I was saying Kennywood should be adding a multi million dollar coaster every couple of years, that would be ridiculous, because they obviously are not in the same league as a place like CP, hence the expectations are completely different for a place like that. I'm not saying CP has to have a new coaster every 3 to 4 years or I'll throw a tantrum but I don't think that fans expecting that are asking too much is all. Not to mention there are tons of parks that are much lower on the amusement park food chain that do add a new coaster on average of every 3 to 4 years. So I don't see why that's asking too much of CP.

That type of thinking may have been the norm almost 20 years ago but we ARE in a recession(thank you MR. Bush) & CP's attendance HAS been negatively effected by it so there's no sense from a financial standpoint in installing yet another coaster when not many people in their target market(especially Detroit) can even afford to visit the park.

I think CP is learning that they can go years without a new coaster & the only ones it will really effect are the enthusiasts who've been spoiled over the years & as a result come to expect certain things of the park that aren't going to happen all the time like clockwork....that's a lesson that certain SF parks could benefit from learning as well.

Didn't Cedar Fair and/or Six Flags post positive cash flow for the first time in YEARS not too long ago? I could be wrong. It makes sense, though. Amusement parks can benefit, and in some cases probably are befitting, from this economy. Think about it, there's an amusement/theme park of some sort within a few hours drive of practically EVERYBODY, and why go on some expensive cruise or tropical vacation when you can just take the family to the local Sx Flags/Cedar Fair Park instead and have just as much fun for much less money? I'd be willing to bet a good amount of families have taken this approach the past few summers.

Now, I agree about Detroit, and since Cedar Point is technically considered a resort location, it may have suffered some losses, but the same might not be able to be said for other parks.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier in the day but the Sandusky Register today had an article about the announcement of the new ride tomorrow and below they had a list of all the major Cedar Point additions since 1989 so I'd thought I'd share them with the curious.....

1989 - Magnum XL-200

1990 - Sandcastle Suites

1991 - Mean Streak

1992 - Challenge Park

1993 - Snake River Falls

1994 - Raptor

1995 - Breakers East and Laser Show

1996 - Mantis

1997 - Chaos

1998 - Power Tower

1999 - Camp Snoopy & Woodstock's Express

2000 - Millennium Force

2001 - Lighthouse Point

2002 - Wicked Twister

2003 - Top Thrill Dragster

2004 - Castaway Bay

2005 - maXair

2006 - Skyhawk

2007 - Maverick

2008 - Planet Snoopy and Skyscraper

2009 - Starlight Experience

Ok, good, I will pre-emptively bash the new ride, for all the Cedar Fair haters. Please fill in the blanks when the new ride is announced.

I think the new ride at CP is ____________ it looks way too __________ and really ___________. What CP needs is a _____________

and until then CP will continue to ______________. Why put a ride in like this? I think the name of the ride is _________________. In short, I will go to CP and ride this piece of ___________ but will bash it no matter how much I enjoy it.

Now that is for all those that will bash CP and Cedar Fair no matter what is announced. I happen to enjoy CP, will be there on Sunday and am looking forward to the announcement tomorrow.