TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I hope that they add Beaver Land Mine Ride. I think that it's important for a well balanced amusment park to have multiple kiddie/ family coasters so that there is some variety for younger guests. It's not as fun of an experience for little kids if all they can do is ride one coaster and a bunch of small flats.

Sadly. I don't think it is a roller coaster, because RCDB.COM doesn't say anything about the

a.) Planning stages

b.) Any information What-so-ever

I have a feeling it's going to be another flat ride. But it probably won't be anything special.

But who knows..... Cedar point is unpredictable, just look at the weather.

--James

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to get some opinions about Maverick at Cedar Point. I'm a huge rollercoaster finatic. But when I rode Maverick, I was disappointed. I didn't like it very much. I think that it's too compact in the small area that's it's in. If they would of spread it out a little more (which I know they can't with the area), it wouldn't of been so rough. Now I'm not trying to make an arguement about how great or how not great Maverick is. I just want to get some of your opinions about what you think of the ride. Are you satisfied with Maverick? Do you think it was a good choice for Cedar Point?

I loved Maverick - it's in my Top 3. It's got a bit of everything - mad drop, crazy, quick turns, loads of air, perfect inversions, a great launch and then those mad overbanked/Stengel dives. And it even duels a bit too. Add in the fact that the whole thing feels totally out of control and just a little insane, and it adds up to an amazing ride.

coastermaniac - I do see your point about how it is a little rough/uncomfortable - but I don't think it's due to the compact layout - more to do with the train taking some of the elements at greater-than-normal speeds. I didn't find it a problem at all, and thought it added to the ride experience. My only real fault with it is it didn't have a 'totally wow' moment, like, for example, the Top Thrill Dragster launch. Maverick instead offers sustained brilliance throughout.

Why does everyone make a big deal about 500 feet? That's not that high, even the Washington Monument is higher than that. Besides the higest bungy jump in the world is royal gorge bridge at 1100 feet. So tell me something. Why would I want to ride a 500 foot coaster when I could bungy from over twice that height and have 100 times the thrill?

^I'd be willing to bet someone got fired over that, haha.

Seriously, this expansion has really become the worst-kept secret in the industry this offseason. Cedar Fair announced their '08 capital expenditures in like...November? The press release for that specifically said that a new 7-ride kiddie area would be replacing Peanuts Playground, and the name "Planet Snoopy" has been thrown around for at least a month.

I don't get why they're holding off so long on announcing it, the only other attraction they've waited this long to announce was TTD...and this isn't anywhere close to the significance of that addition.

^I'd be willing to bet someone got fired over that, haha.

Seriously, this expansion has really become the worst-kept secret in the industry this offseason. Cedar Fair announced their '08 capital expenditures in like...November? The press release for that specifically said that a new 7-ride kiddie area would be replacing Peanuts Playground, and the name "Planet Snoopy" has been thrown around for at least a month.

I don't get why they're holding off so long on announcing it, the only other attraction they've waited this long to announce was TTD...and this isn't anywhere close to the significance of that addition.

Because Cedar Point is unpredictable and likes to keep secrets for some reason. Thats it. I swear they would keep a secret on a freaking dippin dots stand.

^Or, maybe because Cedar Point is usually considered the "cutting edge" of the amusement industry. How many rides at CP at one time or another held world records or are world firsts? Several.

Even if its just a relocated kids area, CP wants to keep it secretive because many other parks look to what CP is adding as "the next great thing." Granted, not many enthusiasts think that way about the Point (unless you're a fanboy). But face it, the industry looks at CP as a role model.

Why does everyone make a big deal about 500 feet? That's not that high, even the Washington Monument is higher than that. Besides the higest bungy jump in the world is royal gorge bridge at 1100 feet. So tell me something. Why would I want to ride a 500 foot coaster when I could bungy from over twice that height and have 100 times the thrill?

Good point...why would you want to ride ANY rollercoaster

I'll leave the bungy jumping to you and I will ride coasters

^Or, maybe because Cedar Point is usually considered the "cutting edge" of the amusement industry. How many rides at CP at one time or another held world records or are world firsts? Several.

Even if its just a relocated kids area, CP wants to keep it secretive because many other parks look to what CP is adding as "the next great thing." Granted, not many enthusiasts think that way about the Point (unless you're a fanboy). But face it, the industry looks at CP as a role model.

Good point and very true, I do forget that they are looked up to the most out of any park, even if some agree this shouldn't happen. I still get very aggravated none the less becuase they start pointless threads and rumors. But hey its also a marketing strategy I guess.

Just look at this thread.

SANDUSKY, Ohio – Family fun will be “out of this world” at Cedar Point amusement park/resort in Sandusky, Ohio, when Planet Snoopy™ debuts this summer as the park’s newest children’s area. Featuring a PEANUTS™-themed environment, Planet Snoopy will spin into orbit at the former PEANUTS Playground.

Planet Snoopy will feature seven rides, including a mini-tea cup-style ride, miniature train, 4 x 4 trucks, a bouncing tower, spinning balloons, rocket ships and a crazy sub ride. Planet Snoopy will also feature games, themed décor showcasing Snoopy’s worldly travels and special live appearances by the PEANUTS characters. Planet Snoopy’s 1.25 acres will also feature a family center with changing stations and private areas to feed children in a quiet atmosphere.

“This is the tenth year of Snoopy here at Cedar Point and we’re extremely excited to offer our fourth children’s area for those who aren’t yet ready to ride the park’s bigger rides and coasters,” said John Hildebrandt, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “We’re known around the world for our roller coasters – but we’re also a destination for families looking for a wide range of thrills. Planet Snoopy will be a great start for the young thrill-seeker this summer.”

In addition to the attractions at Planet Snoopy, a new restaurant will satisfy the rumble in the tummy. Kids will be the boss at a new themed restaurant, which will feature a children-only menu. Parents don’t need to worry – there’s a small “adult-only” section on the menu just for them! The interior of the new restaurant will cater to the ultimate PEANUTS fan with graphics from the world-famous comic strip.

The terrestrial fun extends beyond Planet Snoopy next season with four new live shows. “Snoopy’s Big Bow Wow On Ice” will skate into the Good Time Theatre. Snoopy, along with 14 world-class skaters, will be featured in a brand-new ice skating extravaganza with amazing skating routines, familiar music and the fun and excitement of a summer party.

Next to Planet Snoopy, “All Wheels Extreme” is set to wow guests young and old in the former aquatic stadium. Skilled stunt bikers, skateboarders and rollerbladers will perform flips, tricks and unbelievable stunts in this high-energy BMX-style show.

In the Centennial Theatre, “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” will feature live singers and dancers in a spectacular stage show celebrating music of the ‘50s and ‘60s, while the Red Garter Saloon will showcase an all-new musical revue.

In addition to the new attractions, a two-year refurbishment at the Sandcastle Suites Hotel will be completed by this summer. The $3 million in renovations include an improved lobby and registration area, upgraded suites and rest rooms and newly decorated hallways. Last summer, the exterior of Sandcastle Suites was upgraded.

Located on the tip of the Cedar Point Peninsula, Sandcastle Suites has 187 guest suites, including three Grand Vista Suites that include an indoor Jacuzzi and a wraparound deck or patio. The hotel also includes an outdoor pool and whirlpool spa, tennis courts, a romantic gazebo, scenic boardwalk and shuttle service to the gates of the park.

Including Planet Snoopy, the park will spend approximately $5.2 million in capital improvements for the 2008 season.

Cedar Point will open for its 139th summer on Saturday, May 10. For a complete operating calendar and more information on what’s new for 2008, log on to cedarpoint.com or call 419.627.2350.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/news/news.cfm?mode=story&story_id=47

http://www.cedarpoint.com

1350514553_PLANETSNOOPY.gif.a9d1e8246c3e57af5bf4e643a75cb65f.gif