TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I don't know if anyone has come across this or not, but after seeing this video of the roll, now I completely understand why they have to modify it. It just absolutely FLIES through that roll.

Plus, it doesn't even look vertically heartlined. In terms of the track shaping from side to side it works, but the top of the train gets flung down towards the ground instead of having the track pull up to compensate for that!

This is how it should've been done if they wanted a true heartline:

I don't know if anyone has come across this or not, but after seeing this video of the roll, now I completely understand why they have to modify it. It just absolutely FLIES through that roll.

Plus, it doesn't even look vertically heartlined. In terms of the track shaping from side to side it works, but the top of the train gets flung down towards the ground instead of having the track pull up to compensate for that!

This is how it should've been done if they wanted a true heartline:

Yeah, I always thought of that as well. But I just thought that they meant to make it that way because you are right over water, and your head would be a mere few feet away from it. Looks like that backfired, though.

Yeah, from that video it didn't look like the roll was perfectly heartlined, it actually looks like a "Heartline" roll in RCT3, the way the train navigates it. I really hope they don't get rid of it all together and just stretch it out, as that's the part of the ride I'm most looking forward to.

Like I said, I really don't think it's a matter of the heartline roll's length. They're only replacing three pieces, so it's very unlikely that it'll be lengthened. The problem is that it's not perfectly heartlined, especially vertically... Watch a video of Colossus at TP and compare the perfect heartline rolls to Maverick's current one, and you'll see how poorly done the original trackwork for Maverick is in that section. Maverick's track is barely heartlined vertically, so it probably causes a sudden uncomfortable g-spike.

I'd bet money that the new track pieces are primarily to heighten the middle of the roll so that the heartline works perfectly from now on.

I wonder what they are testing now after they have determined the heartline roll needs replacing?

Perhaps other parts of the track?

They are primarily training the staff and getting the computer systems working and ficing bugs, working out the kinks. All that Jazz.

Like I said, I really don't think it's a matter of the heartline roll's length. They're only replacing three pieces, so it's very unlikely that it'll be lengthened. The problem is that it's not perfectly heartlined, especially vertically... Watch a video of Colossus at TP and compare the perfect heartline rolls to Maverick's current one, and you'll see how poorly done the original trackwork for Maverick is in that section. Maverick's track is barely heartlined vertically, so it probably causes a sudden uncomfortable g-spike.

I'd bet money that the new track pieces are primarily to heighten the middle of the roll so that the heartline works perfectly from now on.

Yeah, that's what I would assume. Would that mean that they have to put in a new support beam also?

I'm pissed....My CP trip is this Sunday & Monday...I was looking forward to riding Maverick. I don't even know if i'll be able to hit CP again this year...this blows major a**!

All I will say is, and don't take this the wrong way, if you read what Elissa and I always say about "going to a park for the opening of a new ride" our general rule is "don't."

Especially if it's something "new" or a new variation on technology.

One more thing I want to point out. It's very easy for us to "blame Intamin" because as we are all roller coaster enthusiasts that's what we see.

We have no idea if the reason these track pieces need to be replaced or modified could have nothing to do with Intamin. For example, could be stress fractures based on who was contracted to put the ride together or who poured the footers.

I have no more information than you all do about the delay I'm just saying don't be so quick to point the blame finger until there have been more details released.

--Robb

Lol, I just read this...>I didn't plan my trip to CP for the opening of Maverick...though I did want to ride itl.....I like CP in general and haven't been to since 2004, so I was going regardless and I did.... I had a blast...I never plan my trips around one ride....lol!!!!!!!

I didn't think it would be that hard to understand.

The point is that you can never say something is fail-safe. There is always, ALWAYS something that can go wrong.

Very true. Fail-safe is relative.

I think magnets have been proven to not suddenly, at any random point, lose their magnetism. Unless the stators rip off the track, the magnets fall off the bottom of the train, or the lims launch the train backwards, Maverick is fail-safe. That is the whole point of Engineering.........

How early June do you think it will be open? I will be there May 31st- June 3rd and are hoping it will be open by then. If its not, then so be it, but it looks pretty intense.

I would say you don't have much of a chance. If you really want to ride July or after would probably be the safest bet.

For the people asking about the suprise:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm

I still say single rider line (see my TR).

Not a bad guess -- Patriot at Worlds of Fun has a second, separate line, and while it's not indicated as single rider, it's there. Considering it's CF's next newest steel coaster, I wouldn't be surprised if they're starting a trend.