TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Trains can handle alot more forces than the people riding can.

So I'm sure there is testing or training that can be done while they wait for the new track sections to be built.

Even if the g's are too hight in that zero G roll, running the trains is not going to cause any damage.

While the train can withstand more than a human, it also is being put under this stress every three to five minutes. That's about 150-175 runs in a day. Ride a coaster that much and tell me you don't feel sore.

While the train can withstand more than a human, it also is being put under this stress every three to five minutes. That's about 150-175 runs in a day. Ride a coaster that much and tell me you don't feel sore.

I'm a human. Machines don't exactly wear down in the same way.

Obviously the forces are not so high as to keep them from running trains.

Even without making the modifications I'm sure they can manage to run the trains and not have any affects.

Again, the trains can handle alot more force then what we can tollerate. For instance TTD could easilly launch at 130-140 mph. The trains could handle it no problem. The people would not.

Same idea with Maverick.

The trains could handle it for the time being, but obviously it couldn't handle it in longer terms.

I'm not saying the trains can't handle it. If my ipod can handle 16gs, then it's nothing for a train. But if you dropped an ipod 100 times and pulled 16gs, then eventually something is going to break. Same with a coaster. It's a mechanical device. EVERYTHING mechanical eventually breaks.

Just a tad off topic, well maybe a lot off topic but I've been wondering for a while now does Maverick have Anti Roll back dogs on the track? I've never seen them on the several photos that I've seen.

The LSMs on the lift only propel the train in one direction, they actually act as brakes if the train were to roll backwards, and since they're magnetic they'll work in the event of a power failure.

Just a tad off topic, well maybe a lot off topic but I've been wondering for a while now does Maverick have Anti Roll back dogs on the track? I've never seen them on the several photos that I've seen.

The LSMs on the lift only propel the train in one direction, they actually act as brakes if the train were to roll backwards, and since they're magnetic they'll work in the event of a power failure.

Pretty sure they don't work without electricity.

Pretty sure they don't work without electricity.

No, but magnetism doesn't need electricity to "work". That's what astat was saying. If the LSMs were to fail because of a power failure, the train would stop because of the magnets.

Actually I think Tony and Tyler once said in the blog that if the if the LSM's in the lift were to fail then the train would just slowly crawl to the bottom of the lift.

Exactly, because of the magnets. Same happens with TTD on a rollback, the magnets cause it to slow down whether there is power or not and slowly drift back into the launch position (unless they lower them below the track) because the track is slightly tilted upward.

Obviously that's not the same case for Superman The Escape because one time I rode it on the way back to the station, the magnets didn't slow the car down and we went flying through the station to the emergency brakes in the back.

I'd thought I'd throw my two sense in since everyone else is making this topic sad and pathetic and 30 freakin pages long!

As far as the reason for the replacement, I would have to say fabrication/installation error.

For what it's worth the special announcement on Cedar Point's web page says:

"Maverick will be delayed until early June to make modifications to the coaster's steel track."

"IntaRide has already started designing replacement track."

The fact that they're apparently back in the design phase suggests that the issue wasn't related to manufacturing or construction. Of course, this announcement is very vague. It's anyone's guess really.

Well, I highly doubt that any errors were made in the actual design of the ride, as the track is designed using force-vector calculus. Thus, if an Intamin engineer specified that the heartline roll would have x.x vertical g's and x.x lateral g's, the computer would design the track to have exactly those g forces.

The problem most likely came in the fabricators ability to match Intamin's specifications for the track pieces, which, knowing many Euopean engineering firms, probably allow for minimal margins of error. Simply put, Intamin specified track parameters that were not matched by the fabricators, so they are having to redesign that section of the track to allow for easier and more accurate fabrication.

It's just a matter of translating equations on a computer into a physical object. Even with computer aid in cutting and assembling track parts, there will be some margin of error caused by humans, no matter how precise the manufacturing process.

Actually I think Tony and Tyler once said in the blog that if the if the LSM's in the lift were to fail then the train would just slowly crawl to the bottom of the lift.

Exactly, because of the magnets. Same happens with TTD on a rollback, the magnets cause it to slow down whether there is power or not and slowly drift back into the launch position (unless they lower them below the track) because the track is slightly tilted upward.

Well see, that's the thing. Maverick is completely fail-safe because the magnets are attached to the bottom of the train and the stators don't move at all. They are always inside that magnetic field, and that slows the train down if nothing is going on.

On TTD, the brake fins can move up and down, thus the brake system is not permanently fail-safe, but it obviously works fine due to computers.

On TTD, the brake fins can move up and down, thus the brake system is not permanently fail-safe, but it obviously works fine due to computers.

The system on TTD is fail safe. The default position is up, they need to apply force to pull the brakes down.

So if the ride loses power, the brake fins will always return to the up position.

The system on TTD is fail safe. The default position is up, they need to apply force to pull the brakes down.

So if the ride loses power, the brake fins will always return to the up position.

Yep . . . true. Did anyone make it over to Cp for opening weekend? If so, how was it? I'm headed there later this week for my second ever CP trip.

^Maverick doesn't float in water...and they said the Titanic was UNSINKABLE, not fail-safe..?

I'm saying that in the case that the train is launching that very second, in which case the brakes will be down. But it can obvoiusly never happen because of backup power.

Yep . . . true. Did anyone make it over to Cp for opening weekend? If so, how was it? I'm headed there later this week for my second ever CP trip.

I will be going Thursday and Friday, when are you going?