TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

OK a few comments now that I actually watched the videos on the CP site.

* why do some of you insist that the ride is being themed well? I watched the overview and it doesn't look to be any more themed than, say Hydra or Talon. It looks well-landscaped - but to me, some fountains, trees and rocks don't constitute a theme job. As I know at least one person on this site can attest to.. I LOVE Dorney's mulch, but that to me doesn't mean they have "themed" their rides.. all my opinion of course. I mean even Disaster Transport at least seems more "themed" than Maverick to me...

* the second launch seems too much for me. Originally, I thought "cool, a ride that will be enjoyed by all, kinda like Powder Keg" but now I'm thinking... 70mph? Three inversions? A vertical drop? Will it REALLY be enjoyed by all? A question that I'm sure we will find out, but, thats not neccessarily a bad thing if you allow me to be greedy a bit

* Did anyone watch the "action shots" video? WOW that heartline roll will be taken fast, I am already feeling the pain. I'm not sure if the banked turns will be much better either after riding Storm Runner

So, after kinda thinking about it, I still think it looks fun and will be a nice addition, but I'm maybe not as excited as I was a day ago

- Joe

* why do some of you insist that the ride is being themed well? I watched the overview and it doesn't look to be any more themed than, say Hydra or Talon. It looks well-landscaped - but to me, some fountains, trees and rocks don't constitute a theme job. As I know at least one person on this site can attest to.. I LOVE Dorney's mulch, but that to me doesn't mean they have "themed" their rides.. all my opinion of course. I mean even Disaster Transport at least seems more "themed" than Maverick to me...

Yes it's not up to par with Disney's themeing ,but it beats the hell out of Talon and Hydra. Talon has a generic station and some nice landscaping so does Hydra.

On Maverick the Rocks, the wood walls and the coal schute will provide some neat head-choppers that wouldn't be there otherwise. The waterspout over the barrel-roll will provide a neat effect, how you spin around it. The trains are steam era styled and are the colors of mined metals. But yeah, it's not Disney Quality but it will add alot more to the ride.

Yes it's not up to par with Disney's themeing ,but it beats the hell out of Talon and Hydra. Talon has a generic station and some nice landscaping so does Hydra.

On Maverick the Rocks, the wood walls and the coal schute will provide some neat head-choppers that wouldn't be there otherwise. The waterspout over the barrel-roll will provide a neat effect, how you spin around it. The trains are steam era styled and are the colors of mined metals. But yeah, it's not Disney Quality but it will add alot more to the ride.

Don't think anyone really expect "Disney" quality, in fact, I'm not even sure why people would ever draw the comparison, not even "Universal" theming would be fair.

Compare it to something more on par like, let's say Roadrunner Express at SFFT, or even Italian Job or Tomb Raider and see how it stacks up. To me, this is more like Xcelerator's theming - you've got some themed trains, the station and the surrounding buildings has some theming, and there are random car parts littered throughout the course. There's really not much more than that.

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal out of the theming here when other new for 2007 coasters like Mystery Mine look to have more theming or landscaping than Maverick does.

--Robb

THe only ride that its up to par with, theming wise, is anything you can find in the paradise pier area. Although its a little better. Although the western town does look pretty good. But ride-wise, I'd still say no simply because there is not story to the ride. (yea, I read thier story, and thats not a real story behind the ride. You don't really experience, or see the story affect the ride really) But for a CF park, I'm very impressed with it.

* Did anyone watch the "action shots" video? WOW that heartline roll will be taken fast, I am already feeling the pain. I'm not sure if the banked turns will be much better either after riding Storm Runner

Notice also that promo renderings and animationa are not always completely realistic. Kingda Ka's video didn't have brakes at the top and the launch was much shorter than in real life.

I really don't understand why people are making a big deal out of the theming here when other new for 2007 coasters like Mystery Mine look to have more theming or landscaping than Maverick does.

--Robb

OK... I don't think anyone is debating that Mystery Mine is going to be themed worse than Maverick. I'm sure Mystery Mine will be themed much better than Maverick. But are you saying that Maverick can no way be considered good from a theming standpoint cause there is something better themed being built elsewhere?

Back to Maverick; since this is it's thread, I think the theming looks very good. In the videos anyway. They really look like they are going to "try" and provide a decent themed ride for once.

I'm making a big deal about this because I think that speaks volumes about the parks willingness to change and alter the typical game plan of the past twenty years; "we build big, fast and intense coasters and don't EVER expect much more than that". Cause that's the exact rap that park has garnered.

I really, really, really like the theming and the subsequent message they are going for on this. Plastic rocks and all.

--Robb

Because... CP has so many fanboys... I mean it IS the best park on the planet, duh! Golden Ticket Awards don't lie!

Golden Ticket Awards don't lie!

Or you could just go by park attendance.

Hey... no need to take a stab at me, I like CP as much as the next guy! And I plan on visiting in '07 to check out your Notquatrax!

No stab intended... I meant that more to point out clarity to Robb's statement as to why so many people make a fuss over anything the park does and equating that to the millions upon millions that frequent CP each year. So naturally the countries largest/most popular thrill park will have people commenting out of the woodwork if they did something as minor as installing new water fountains let alone a new roller coaster.

I should have included Robb's portion of the quote to make my response more clear. I appoligize for my lack of clarity on that one.

--Robb

OK... I don't think anyone is debating that Mystery Mine is going to be themed worse than Maverick. I'm sure Mystery Mine will be themed much better than Maverick. But are you saying that Maverick can no way be considered good from a theming standpoint cause there is something better themed being built elsewhere?

No, not at all. I just think people shouldn't compare it to a "Disney" ride that's all. I'm sure it will be totally on par with Xcelerator, Stealth, Italian Job, Borg, etc....all rides at parks that don't have that much theming on their coasters, but have done a pretty good job with said ride.

--Robb

One thing you have to keep in mind is that CP is an AMUSEMENT park and parks like Disney and Universal are THEME parks. Amusement parks usuially dont have highly themed rides to a certain show/charector/place (like SUF and B:TR) but theme to areas of the park (TTD, Goliath SFOG, Tatsu, and Montu). Because theme parks want to fit with the theme of the area that the ride is, it usuially has a some decent themeing and an endorser name to it. Amusement parks build their coasters and theme them individually and give them origional names and sometimes but not always theme them to the surrounding area, which isnt endorsed by any companies. Maverick is on par with those highly themed "stand alone themeing" rides mostly because it is at an amusement park. I hope that makes any sence!!!

Colin C

Ok this is a little late. I've been at work and all of a sudden there are 10 more pages in here. Anyway...

I have a question about the LSMs. If I understand how they work right, would it be safe to say that when they are moving the train up the lift they are actually pulling AND pushing it up as opposed to a chain that just pulls it up? In other words the LSM in front of the train attracts or 'pulls' it, and as the train passes over it, that LSM then repels or 'pushes' it.

Don't think anyone really expect "Disney" quality, in fact, I'm not even sure why people would ever draw the comparison, not even "Universal" theming would be fair.

--Robb

Some people have said that it is not themed well. To me it looks it is decently themed for an amusement park. At least part of it is with the canyons, rocks and the western theme it has. It's just if you say it is not themed well, what is your comparison too? How high are your theme standards? So to me saying it is not themed well gives me the thought of their standard of theming is high and comparing it to Disney or Universal! Sure it is no BTMR!

If you just look at it for what it is without comparing it to anything. It would seem odd to say that it is not themed well when in fact it has theming if the video holds true to what it is actually going to look like.

But if we are going to compare. To me the theming is almost like Adventure Express with its hit and miss theming spots!