TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Enjoy everyone!

Maverick - the park's 17th roller coaster - announced

Cedar Point has once again set itself apart from the rest of the amusement park industry -- and named its new, one-of-kind coaster accordingly.

After nearly one year of speculation, the park revealed early this morning that Maverick -- a $21 million terrain-hugging coaster that whips passengers dangerously close to the ground -- is the mystery ride being build in the northwestern corner of the peninsula. The Western-themed roller coaster will open in May 2007.

Maverick -- which means independent in thought and action -- will carry riders along the 4,450-foot-long course by way of steam-era styled trains.

Linear synchronous motors will propel the train to the top of a 105-foot-tall first hill. From there, it's more than straight down.

Maverick will take riders down at a 95-degree angle at speeds up to 57 mph to within a few feet of the ground, deceiving the riders into thinking they are going to hit the rocks.

In comparison, former record-breaking roller coasters, Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster, have angles of 80 and 90 degrees.

"A lot of this coaster is going to be close to the ground," said park spokesman Bryan Edwards. "This will be a very themed coaster. There will be rock formations and valleys."

While Edwards acknowledges some people may have been expecting a 500-foot-tall coaster, some were expecting something as unique as the Maverick -- an original ride and design that no other park has, he said.

"This is a different ride experience," Edwards said. "We have been building taller and faster, and taller and faster doesn't always equal more fun, according to the guests," Edwards said. "We are going in a different direction. There are people who look at Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster and say, 'No Way.'"

What Maverick offers that is more special is that just when riders think it's over, it's not, Edwards said.

Throughout the two-minute, 30-second ride, passengers will also experience eight airtime-filled hills, three inversions and a second launch through a dark tunnel while reaching speeds of 70 mph.

"This will be the most heavily themed coaster we have ever done," Edwards said.

Being built on 5.5 acres between the Mean Streak roller coaster and Thunder Canyon water ride in Frontiertown, Maverick will be Cedar Point's 17th roller coaster -- more than any other place in the world, Edwards said. The addition of Maverick will also bring Cedar Point's arsenal of rides to 69.

"As a coaster enthusiast, I can't wait to ride Maverick," said Carole Sanderson, president of American Coaster Enthusiasts, in a Cedar Point press release issued at midnight. "I believe Maverick will delight riders with many surprising elements, including its compact layout and staggered launches."

Why is this on Experience the Point and not CP's website? If this is the actual press release, this has been the worst way of keeping a ride under wraps before the official announcement I've ever seen.

Edit: What the heck is going on? Robb posted in this thread doubting the user's because of the address registered to the name, and then the massive thread was closed with me having the last post. Haha.

DIE THREAD DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

I would think Screaming Squirrels would have the record for steepest drop. Or do saxaphones not count for some reason?

And even then, don't a few of the Eurofighters have 95 degree drops?

This so-called announcement doesn't say anything about this being the steepest drop. So what is the "most of" this ride has? I'm not seeing it in the announcement, unless my previous guess of the most theming on a Cedar Fair ride is it.

This so-called announcement doesn't say anything about this being the steepest drop. So what is the "most of" this ride has? I'm not seeing it in the announcement, unless my previous guess of the most theming on a Cedar Fair ride is it.

"This will be the most heavily themed coaster we have ever done," Edwards said.

I would think Screaming Squirrels would have the record for steepest drop. Or do saxaphones not count for some reason?

And even then, don't a few of the Eurofighters have 95 degree drops?

Right, I was confused by their tricky, deceiving language:

Maverick will take riders down at a 95-degree angle at speeds up to 57 mph to within a few feet of the ground, deceiving the riders into thinking they are going to hit the rocks.

In comparison, former record-breaking roller coasters, Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster, have angles of 80 and 90 degrees.

Right. Like either of those coasters had a record breaking drop angle.

Anyway, it looks fun. I'll hit it up someday, money willing.

They are claiming the "most coasters in one park" record again, at least according to the Sandusky Register/Plain Dealer articles. Which I feel is legitimate, SFMM hasn't been openly claiming the most coasters lately, and I think both parks don't really consider Flashback as something that counts anymore.

I'd like to know the stuff that really matters, like how many trains, and what the height requirement will be.

To me, it looks a lot like Powder Keg. It will be great for the park if it has a 48'' height restriction; but with Cedar Fair I'm doubting it.

As for the Aquatrax thing...ahh, that was so much fun!

Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride Maverick.

^ from Funcoast.