TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I am definitely intrigued by the TTD mystery.    Based on what we know now, it's looking like a conversion to LSM launch?

My guess is that they will be keeping the launch track and tower track (otherwise why go through the effort of first removing the brake fins and hardware, but leaving the launch track in place -- wouldn't you just take off the track as a whole and remove the hardware on the ground?).  I'm not entirely sure why they are moving the station unless the train dimensions are changing significantly or the launch needs to be lengthened (but I thought I read convincing math on TTD having plenty of launch length).

I am secretly hoping that they will do a dual track loading station to TRY to get a train in place to hit the launch window on time -- given the likely small trains, hitting a 45 second or so launch cycle is key for capacity.

Anyway, eager to see what they come up with.....

14 minutes ago, _s3_ said:

^ All of the track other than the tower has been removed and is sitting stacked back by maintenance now. Definitely done neatly compared to normal removal to not be reusing it.

I'm gonna die laughing if they start taking down the tower next, and destroy every fanboys/fangirls convoluted theory about what's happening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, TurnOfTheCentury said:

I am definitely intrigued by the TTD mystery.    Based on what we know now, it's looking like a conversion to LSM launch?

I would love to see the worlds tallest weight drop launch from the old schwarzkopf shuttle loops. 

• Like 1

What's stumping me about this "renovation" is that Dragster's biggest problem was reliability. So whatever Cedar Point is doing to the ride... I imagine reliability and operational consistency is at the top of their mind. An LSM conversion would be cool, and still probably more reliable than hydraulic, but there's no saying that will suddenly make it a reliable coaster. In my opinion this is also what's ruling out some of those other crazy ideas like extending the height, adding a switch track with a spike, etc. I think Cedar Fair is very much going to "stay in the box" for this project rather than do some out-there idea, because that's what got them the original Dragster in the first place.

This will be super interesting to follow...

46 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

Since when have magnetic launch systems ever been considered unreliable?

Lightning Rod has entered the chat. 

(I know, more on the structure and whatnot than the launch system itself, but I couldn't resist...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

Batman & Robin: The Chiller.

• Like 1

LIM launches are a lot less reliable and power hungry than LSMs, but both are more reliable than the hydraulic launches have been.

During the investigation into the accident, it was reported that CP / CF spent upwards of $2mil per year in maintenance on the ride. Regardless of the actual uptime reliability of LSMs, I would imagine that alone is the main contributing factor into replacing the old hydraulic launch, without any other modifications to the layout.

6 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I am confused again due to your knack for sarcasm. You live in the STL area, you frequent SFStL, you KNOW this is absurd! If Freeze doesn’t break down during my visit at least once I am wondering if I’ll be struck by lightning next. 

Am I the only one who thinks a straight vertical dive is more exciting than the twisting track?

Since everyone is throwing wild modifications out there mine would be to put the new launch where the brakes were and vice versa and market it as the worlds biggest vertical drop.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, CP_RULES said:

I am confused again due to your knack for sarcasm.

I'd go with your gut.

22 hours ago, Garet said:

Since everyone is throwing wild modifications out there mine would be to put the new launch where the brakes were and vice versa and market it as the worlds biggest vertical drop.

ok cool thanks

16 hours ago, John Peck said:

New Dragster re-theme coming??? SCREAM! East????  (Picture taken yesterday 10/2) 

No worries... there are more of these Progressive signs around the park. New sponsor maybe?

IMG_8009.JPG

To be fair, Top Thrill Dragster did make an amazing case for why it's important to have great insurance.

• Haha 5

^ When I went on September 16th, they were charging the FL price for FL+ if you were a Platinum Pass holder... not sure if that has changed as on my visit last week I didn't need it and I didn't notice anyone in the Point Plaza gift shop purchasing it (the main FL booth at the front gate was closed on both of my Thursday visits).  I'd go and ask just to be sure.  Worst they can say is no!  :)   

• Like 1

Just keep in mind, that you will need a big crane in order to remove more track from the tower. As long as the season is not over they can’t install a high crane which takes a couple days in order to get it set up.

Plus that area would be closed then and nobody could take that route to the back of the park.