TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Someone posted this on Reddit today. From the looks, it appears on the left that all of the cables have been severed/removed from the control boxes that monitor and/or control launch brake fins. Pretty much confirms removal of the hydraulic launch.

j13zf592yvm91.jpg

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

Unless the launch cable is being reworked.

I'm curious how far CP will go with this. If they go the LIM route, and stop it there, you don't market that toward non-coaster people. No one will know the difference.

Worked for Six Flags.

X>X2 was new trains, a repaint, and flamethrowers and on-board audio that doesn't work most of the time. 

It was consider a success given the very next season is when Six Flags started to convert many of their rides to IP based themes.

Just like WT, IF they remove it, I won't lose any sleep over it. While I enjoy just about any launch coaster and enjoyed both of these, there were several visits where I skipped them both to ride what I considered the better coasters at the park.

It will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeve, regardless.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Unless the launch cable is being reworked.

I'm curious how far CP will go with this. If they go the LIM route, and stop it there, you don't market that toward non-coaster people. No one will know the difference.

The maintenance staff will.

It was cool to have a complicated launch system with the fins that come down for the train to pass and then rapidly come back up to stop a rolling back train from hitting the one on deck behind. But when you think about all of those sensors and actuators that all had to work outside through the hot summer sun and sit through the cold snowy winter, it is amazing that it lasted as long as it did. That is not even taking into account the actual hydraulic launch motors, cables and other stuff that all need to work together precisely to get it to just go over the top.

kudos to the mechanics that kept it going this long.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coasternut said:

Just a point of interest. I emailed Cedar Point to find out of we still get early entry during the Halloweekend days, and the answer is YES!

Yep, even on the nights they only open at night, if last year is anything to go by.

So I am currently at Cedar Point for night one of HalloWeekends.  Lines thus far: Steel Vengeance was a walk on at 6:15 pm for standby and FastLane, Maverick was 30 minutes stand by and walk on for FastLane, Mine Ride was a walk on, Millennium Force was about 10 minutes.  Looks like Raptor and GateKeeper are 10 minutes or less as well.  If you don’t mind eating hundreds of gnats, this is the way to go!  😃

oh and the wall is there…36780804-811B-4F14-BEFE-C0754A517354.thumb.jpeg.77566c2bdb7ae1b5bfdcb0a2430e3319.jpeg

Random thoughts from opening night of HalloWeekends:

- Every single employee I encountered was overly friendly and personable.  That hasn't happened on my visits in a long time.  Perhaps being knocked out of the Top 5 Parks in the Golden Ticket poll made them take notice.   Regardless, it was nice seeing the folks there having a good time and appearing to enjoy what they do. 

- Steel Vengeance.  I seem to take a while to come around to certain coasters.  For instance, when I first rode Maverick in 2007, I didn't quite understand why it was so hyped up.  As the years went on, I started to like the ride more and more.  And now, it ranks as my favorite coaster in the park.  Since opening in 2018, I have always thought Steel Vengeance was a good ride, but not the greatest ride ever like many have said.  I think I am finally getting it now.  The ride is glass smooth, maintains its speed through the whole course, and honestly tries to throw you from the train on almost every hill and inversion.  I still think the ride is a bit too long, but overall it has moved into my Top 10 and will be a must ride on any visit to the park.  Sorry for being slow to catch on!  

- Millennium Force still rocks.  I have always loved this coaster and it is still running beautifully.  Add in the fog from the nearby Cornstalkers 2.0 and Blood on the Bayou haunts and night rides take on a whole new level of awesomeness.  

- The new Farmhouse Grill looks like it has always been there on the former site of the Antique Cars.  The park did an incredible job with this space and despite the park being very uncrowded, the dining patio area was filled with folks enjoying the various food offerings.  Very nice addition to the park even though I was initially upset that the Antique Cars were being removed.  Looking forward to the Grand Pavilion in 2023.

- When did they add an animatronic character to the end of the Cedar Creek Mine Ride?  I don't recall seeing that before.  

- Even though it isn't designated as a Scare Zone, there were a few clown characters in the "Celebration Plaza" area scaring guests, including a sparking Slider Clown (who scared the bejeezus out of me since I had my guard down!).  

- This year's Midnight Syndicate show was unique.  While it's mostly more of the same, including repeats of songs they have previously performed live (the 2 remixes though are outstanding) and jump scare hijinks, the introduction of Mr. Midnight as an integral part of the show and the rather dark ending made for an entertaining show.  The guys from Chardon also have their own merch stand located in front of the Sky Ride station right outside the Jack Aldrich Theater too, leaving the tent for meet and greets after the show.  

Every ride that was listed as being open on Thursday nights was running, lines were mostly non-existent, and the park has REALLY stepped up the amount of HalloWeekends merch available.  They have shirts of the individual haunts, plenty of HW 25th Anniversary shirts, and of course, light-up items galore.  If all visits to CP were like this, I would have no complaints at all.  Looking forward to going back soon to check out the scare zones.  

It was interesting reading your review. I'm originally from Cleveland (don't hold that against me), so this was my home park. I'm glad to hear things have gotten better with the staff's attitudes. I'm going this weekend, so I hope to encounter the same. This trip wasn't my idea, but the Kings Island's hours are just so bad. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

Little sidenote. Not sure if anyone else has been watching the webcams the last couple of minutes but it's been funny watching them chase down a random drone flyer that decided to start flying over the Boardwalk construction site. Found the drone, followed it and ended up finding the guy on the east side of the parking lot by the residences over there. Within seconds, CP Police rushed him. Funny to watch.

New Dragster update as of Thursday night 9/22. I was at the park this evening, and what I saw was amazing! There is a large crane near the "launch area" / Christmas tree area now. As I viewed it from power tower, a large amount of track has been removed from the ride. All of it is gone from the station and up to the "launch area." Track has been removed from the return brake run too. I don't see it stored anywhere nearby, but it was getting dark this evening. I'll be back for the next few days, and if I see more I'll post it here.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad for the future of Dragster. They're definitely moving forward with this new project what ever it turns out to be. I'm leaning towards an LSM launch with this track removal.

I visited CP again last night and while it wasn't quite as empty as it was on my first Thursday visit 2 weeks ago, crowds were still light by Cedar Point standards.  Between 5:45 and 8:30, I was able to ride Valravn, GateKeeper, Matterhorn, Millennium Force, Rougarou, Iron Dragon, Cedar Downs, Tiki Twirl, Troika, Lake Erie Eagles, and Steel Vengeance, all without FastLane.  Maverick (which I did not ride) seemed to have a long wait (30-45 minutes) again, but everything else was either a 1 train/cycle wait or a walk on.  And again, I did not encounter a single unfriendly employee.  They called me by name at the parking booth and entrance, the girl (name tag said her name was 'Z') on Rougarou was super nice, and a woman at the Pagoda Gift Shop was so nice I could have talked to her for hours.  I don't expect to be treated like a king at a theme park, but it does make for a much more pleasant time when your interactions with staff leave a positive impact.  Now onto some more random thoughts.

- Steel Vengeance at night is insane.  I had never had a night ride on this before and I am so glad I did.  Posted wait was about 30 minutes and they were actually asking for single riders, so I cut about 10 minutes off my wait by being called up.  In any case, the darkness just makes the ride so much more disorienting.  The barrel rolls seem to last longer.  The airtime hills seem more pronounced, and speeding through the structure at the end felt like sheer chaos.  If you have a chance to ride this at night, I highly recommend it.  Best ride I've ever had on SV.

- Valravn rocks.  While I still think Yukon Striker is a better overall experience, this ride is just so smooth, the view from the top is perhaps the best in the park and that first drop is crazy, no matter what row you're in.  

- GateKeeper felt like it had square wheels on.  I don't know if it was just the seat I was in (row 3, outer left) or what, but the usual smooth, flying sensation felt like I was off-roading.  Ugh.

- Rode Tiki Twirl for the first time in years.  I don't remember it going as fast as it did.  Probably won't be riding again anytime soon!  

- Now I know Rougarou isn't a favorite of many.  It wasn't really a favorite of mine either.  Not sure what it was, but wow.  What a ride.  Airtime, positive forces and dare I say a smooth ride made me re-think why I usually avoid it.  

- Seeing Top Thrill Dragster from Iron Dragon was unique as I didn't realize so much track had been removed.  Whatever they are doing is definitely interesting.

- And to keep this short since I could go on and on about how great Thursday nights are, but I'd like to compliment the scare actors in the Harvest Fear and Tombstone Terrortory zones.  No one was safe from their antics and even better, they were doing some tremendous tag-team scares where one monster would come up in front of you or walk slowly along side you without saying anything... then out of nowhere, someone would scream at you from behind.  I'm easy to jump scare so they got me good!  

I'm hoping Thursdays stay like this for the rest of the season, but I have a feeling people are realizing this is a great time to visit.  Anyhow, it was another great night at America's Roller Coast. Now if I can only find a day to get down to Mason for KI's Haunt...

• Like 1

What are the chances that we get the full details on the project on January 9th, 2023... The 20th anniversary of the original TTD announcement.

I couldn't imagine a better date to put the details out, since they seem to be following the "you can see it but you don't know" scheme that they did originally with TTD, even if it is a 2024 re-opening.

1 hour ago, _s3_ said:

What are the chances that we get the full details on the project on January 9th, 2023... The 20th anniversary of the original TTD announcement.

I couldn't imagine a better date to put the details out, since they seem to be following the "you can see it but you don't know" scheme that they did originally with TTD, even if it is a 2024 re-opening.

Wouldn't then it also make sense for them to follow a "you can see it but you don't know" thing this time around?

I would be very surprised if they announced anything prior to the end of summer 2023.  They're marketing the new Boardwalk stuff, and a "new Dragster" would make good driver for 2024 pass sales.

• Like 1

This is a pretty typical construction start timeline for a spring opening and the crews look like they're hustling. Otherwise, why not just wait until November to start work when the park is closed, if they're aiming for 2024?

We're all marketing experts here, but the best marketing strategy isn't always convenient with unforeseen circumstances like Dragster's. Something had to be done fairly quickly, regardless of what other 2023 plans were already in the works.

I'm betting Spring 2023.