TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

19 minutes ago, gardyloo! said:

Sucks when the actual wait is 45 min, fastlane plus is only 15 mij shorter. I heard millenium has the same “issue”. Seems like fastlaneplus’ bang for your buck isn’t as strong as at most other parks. Thankfully maverick’s fastlane line does get you to the station a lot faster right?

Maverick's puts you in the station.  Yeah, CP's Fast Lane implementation is less than idea, but its still mandatory (especially on weekends) if you ask me, unless you have several days at the park.

Be aware, I've seen Maverick have some of the longest FL+ lines at any park outside of a Halloween event. It will overflow outside of the entrance, occasionally. When that happens, SKIP IT. It may be empty an hour later, and it commonly has no FL+ line near the end of the day.

15-20 minutes is only possible, in my experience from last year (I haven't been this year yet) if all of the following are met:

-FL-Merge-Person lets FL people through right away so it doesn't back up.
-Locker-spieler is on their game.
-Locker area doesn't get backed up.
-Post-locker metal detector persons are on their game.
-Grouper at the top of the stairs is pulling equally from both stairwells.
-Actual operations don't get held up for any reason.

I don't budget any less than an hour for SV, even with FL, unless the line is so short that you can breeze right past the locker area.  Your experience is atypical, unless they've gone back to one stairwell being for FL and one being for non.

I'll just budget for it and see on the spot how the lines are. My group has planned two days (monday 22nd & tuesday 23rd of August). We got early entry so we wanna hit Millenium first (wanna get on one of the first trains cause I've heard the line for the front takes an extra 45 min or something?), then hit maverick at opening. Not sure of that's a good strategy?

On 7/22/2022 at 4:30 AM, TopThrill182 said:

The left metal detector path is shorter than the right one (physically).

noted! thanks

On 7/22/2022 at 9:11 PM, AmyUD06 said:

unless the line is so short that you can breeze right past the locker area.

Would it be advisable to just stuff all our stuff in a locker before getting in line so we don't have to go through the metal detectors a 2nd time?

58 minutes ago, gardyloo! said:

I'll just budget for it and see on the spot how the lines are. My group has planned two days (monday 22nd & tuesday 23rd of August). We got early entry so we wanna hit Millenium first (wanna get on one of the first trains cause I've heard the line for the front takes an extra 45 min or something?), then hit maverick at opening. Not sure of that's a good strategy?

Your strategy seems sound.  I'd recommend grabbing a quick ride on Iron Dragon on the way to Millie, since it's not on FL but is on Early Entry.

The front row of Millie does not take an extra 45 minutes.  Maybe an extra 15 at the most.

58 minutes ago, gardyloo! said:

Would it be advisable to just stuff all our stuff in a locker before getting in line so we don't have to go through the metal detectors a 2nd time?

I do.  I don't even mess with the stupid locker system in the queue anymore.  Yeah, it's not free, but its worth it to avoid the hassle IMHO.

6 PM on a Tuesday.

IMG_20220726_180059113.thumb.jpg.d35dbaea0b64bb69624e9643b003c378.jpgIMG_20220726_181018058.thumb.jpg.8e2759ba98924e67a78a3817a43cea74.jpgIMG_20220726_181213301.thumb.jpg.8120dde59521872ecf83d400aed1cd5a.jpg

Edit: And the FL+ line for Maverick at 7 pm (Edit edit-this only took 8 minutes to get through):

IMG_20220726_190352217.thumb.jpg.6990ca084652820de0d623e977c20140.jpg

2 hours ago, _s3_ said:

I believe (and I might be wrong) that Dragster's trains haven't been on transfer/storage all season.

Oops... Well it was news to me haha. 

2 hours ago, coasternut said:

^^ You can kiss that baby goodbye! 😢

Now that I've seen it in person this year, more and more I think you're right. There is all kinds of gunk built up on the hydraulics of the launch brakes like they're not taking care of the ride at all. 

That gunk is just grease which is normally part of any hydraulic system. As it sits it "clouds" instead of appearing more viscous or not at all.

The trains not being on the transfer track isn't an indication of anything as there is no need to have the trains exposed to the elements sitting stationary for no reason. Better to have them off and in longer term storage where there is more control over the environments and elements, let alone if there is anything additional being done to them.

If the ride is going to be modified in any way (like with the wild rumors of changing it to a different type of launch), then the trains are likely needing modifications done to them anyways.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agreed. The trains off of the track means nothing, as it definitely makes complete sense. They have already announced the closure for the season, so it wouldn't make sense to leave them there.

Whatever they do, I hope it pisses a lot of people off. Can you say, "World largest super loop coaster?" Bring it.

• Like 1

a swing launch with lsm's would be interesting. Have the train enter a transfer track where it enters the launch area. LSM's do a slow launch forward, a faster launch backwards up a spike and then up the final speed forwards! 

The trains weren't there in May either.  As others have said, there's no need to bring them out only to just put them back in storage without running it all year.  Or they're in the process of being taken to the great Breakers Express field in the sky.

17 hours ago, haydn12 said:

All the ride needs is something erected to block debris from hitting people in the queue.  

Some CFO and their assistants will tell you that it also needs to be way more reliable and way cheaper in operations for being further a part of the Cedar Fair coaster lineup. Especially in times when power sources are getting more and more expensive and said ride is - outside of the coaster geek community - constantly making negative news in terms of accidents and downtime.

Don't get me wrong, I'm terribly in love with TTD. But I see why there is a big chance I will never ride it again, even if it's going to be open again some day.

• Like 1

See, I feel like the ride is totally reopening with as-few changes as possible. I feel like they’ll change almost nothing and just check the flag plates more often /  change some small thing about how they’re affixed and just let everyone think that they spent a year and a half working around the clock on a bunch of major changes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pedrinho said:

said ride is - outside of the coaster geek community - constantly making negative news in terms of accidents and downtime.

Every normal person I know who visited the park always talks about "That one roller coaster that launches you over 100 mph and has a 400 foot drop." Top Thrill is a one trick pony that people love. It's crazy to ride, and crazy to watch. It's a highly visible icon of the park. One recent major story doesn't mean it's "constantly" in the news. You may pay attention to every story, but the majority of people don't care.

I long to be, "That one coaster" guy again. "That one coaster" guy the park caters to. I promise, "That one coaster" guy usually doesn't know about the negative press, or the accident. "That one coaster" guy also doesn't give a shit. "That one coaster" guy has a family and knows the odds of anyone getting hurt are slim-to-none, and that risk is outweighed by the reward of giving his family a kickass trip with "That one coaster" stories for years to come.

• Like 3

I heard they are modifying it to extend over Lake Erie, adding a world record breaking lift hill, a record 37 inversions and a record breaking drop track. 

Can't wait to ride Steel Dragsters Revenge when it opens😁

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2022 at 6:29 AM, Pedrinho said:

Some CFO and their assistants will tell you that it also needs to be way more reliable and way cheaper in operations for being further a part of the Cedar Fair coaster lineup. Especially in times when power sources are getting more and more expensive...

I've wondered how much does it cost to dispatch a train. I'm not counting the man power, hourly wage, but the electrical and mechanical cost every time they dispatch a train on TTD or Maverick, or the late great WT? Anyone have an answer?

This is just a curiosity thing.