TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

@tndank Did that actually happen?! Bummer!

MF seemed to be up and down all day. I got in line for it around 6:30pm (after it had just reopened from being down), only for it to go down again as I approached the station. I finally got on after a 40 minute delay, but I was nervous the entire time that the empty test trains wouldn’t make it through the course given the relatively cold and windy weather.

Despite a similar experience with SV, I ultimately got to ride everything I wanted to, and I really enjoyed closing day 2021. It definitely beat the dreadful closing day 2020!

I can't brag enough about our trip on Friday the 29th. This was our first trip in 3 years. It was overcast and a light sprinkle all day. We were there at 9:45, walked in and were on the first train of MF of the day. Despite the slight rain ALL the coasters (except Gemini) were open all day. They only ran one train, but everything ran all day. 

We got to SV around 10:45 and it was still testing. Around 11:15 it opened and it was walk on. We rode in 3x, walk on, with only ONE TRAIN! Cedar Point surprised me. 

Ride ops who said they have worked there for 5 seasons told us they had never seen the park that dead before. In the first 90 minutes of us being in the park we had ridden MF 2x, Maverick 3x and SV 3x. It was awesome. 

The same ride op also told us they will run one train in the rain as long as it's not too hard. The one train prevents them from "bumping" if one slid through the brakes. Maverick was running 4 trains, so a "double" but they would not dispatch until all trains had stacked. Even with that, every line kept moving. Our longest wait was at the end of the day for MF, and that was about 30 minutes. 

Saturday the park was running 2-3 trains. SV was running all 3. Again, the ride ops were AMAZING, they were sprinting to get fast dispatch times at SV to keep the 3 trains rolling. I can't say enough how great the entire park felt, looked, and the experience we had. Well done CP! It was great to come back after 3 years and have one of my best ever visits to the park. 

• Like 5

Sad but true, Wicked Twister is a goner. It's not coming back as many of us had hoped at another Cedar Fair park. Some parts are being saved to support the other 2 rides like it at their other parks. At the end of the tweet from Tony (official), he pronounces it's death sentence.😭

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/our-winter-begins

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, boldikus said:

If this means Possessed (which is better than WT anyway) can run for a few more years I'm totally ok with it being scrapped.

Sorry I don't agree. Wicked Twister was the only one that spiraled backwards. I'd only ride it in the last or next to last row. When I was at Dorney this year, they had the reverse magnet holds turned off. So how is it better?

• Like 2

Personally, I prefer a straight over a twisted drop. It's a personal preference. I could care less about the holding brake or lack thereof.

Not to mention that WT had much, much more restrictive restraints than Possessed does, for reasons I've never quite understood. 

• Like 2

Never understood the restraint thing, either. Even at my skinniest, with plenty of room to spare anytime I rode Possessed, I wasn't even close when I tried to ride Wicked Twister. I'm sure it was a good ride to some, but after that it could die in a fire for all I cared.

In a move that probably surprises no one....

https://fox8.com/news/cedar-point-changes-skyfox-captures-something-missing-from-the-park/

SANDUSKY, Ohio (WJW) — Social media was aflutter Wednesday with reports that the Antique Cars ride in Frontier Town at Cedar Point was permanently being removed and demolition was already underway.

SkyFOX flew over the amusement park Wednesday afternoon and witnessed construction taking place in that area of the park (as seen in the video above).

When reached for comment, director of communications Tony Clark told FOX 8 News that “things are happening at the park,” but would not confirm anything else.

Click the link for flyover video and a still capture.

500 foot coaster that spans the entire park, from the old Wicked Twister spot to Frontier town, all but confirmed. :)

• Haha 2

My honest prediction is that they lay down sod (or put in a sitting area), keep the bridge and the cute little station and put a sitting area or something in there and then leave it as-is for years. They're probably much more interested in developing the Wicked Twister area, This was probably a cost-cutting move for a ride that they don't need that's always the first thing in the park to close for staffing anyway. I'm sure it will become something eventually, but I don't really see them plopping down 4 coasters in a row with zero flat rides between them so I'm not all that excited about it. This is going to save them a lot of money and barely anyone will care so what's the rush?

12 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

My honest prediction is that they lay down sod (or put in a sitting area), keep the bridge and the cute little station and put a sitting area or something in there and then leave it as-is for years. They're probably much more interested in developing the Wicked Twister area, This was probably a cost-cutting move for a ride that they don't need that's always the first thing in the park to close for staffing anyway. I'm sure it will become something eventually, but I don't really see them plopping down 4 coasters in a row with zero flat rides between them so I'm not all that excited about it. This is going to save them a lot of money and barely anyone will care so what's the rush?

isn't this the same area that they use for Sleepovers during the "stay in the park" event?  (can't recall the name . but I remember reading a Trip Report (from Prozach?) about staying overnight in the park, and they camped in the Antique Cars area).

so yeah. . agreed..will probably become a "rest area"

• Like 1

I've posted this many times before, so why not once more!
What the park REALLY needs is a traditional log ride. The other water rides in the park (Snake River Falls and Thunder Canyon) get you soaked.
A no-brainer: build a replica of Knott's Timber Mountain Log Ride.
1) Great ride and has been for 50+ years
2) Perfect theming which would fit in with FrontierTown
3) Small footprint would fit perfectly in the empty space

DO IT!!

KnottsLogRide.png

KnottsLogRide2.jpeg

• Like 4

I doubt any park, outside of Disney and universal, will build anything remotely on the scale of Timber Mountain in america these days.  It's just not worth it when they can get away with so many barebones attractions and rides now.

How about they just copy the layout of Timber Mountain but just leave it unthemed? Solves both the cost and log flume problems!

Seriously though I agree a modern log flume at Cedar Point of any kind would be awesome. Kinda bummed about the Antique Cars though, hope that doesn't become a trend chain wide.

6 minutes ago, swfan1988 said:

How about they just copy the layout of Timber Mountain but just leave it unthemed? Solves both the cost and log flume problems!

Seriously though I agree a modern log flume at Cedar Point of any kind would be awesome. Kinda bummed about the Antique Cars though, hope that doesn't become a trend chain wide.

Remember that CP still has the vastly superior Cadillac Cars drive-em attraction at the front of the park as well.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, pianojohn said:

What the park REALLY needs is a traditional log ride. The other water rides in the park (Snake River Falls and Thunder Canyon) get you soaked.

I don't see a themed log flume happening here, but if Cedar Point ever went that route, Hopkins made one for Everland that has all the drops based around one tower of turntables. Despite what the ponchos would suggest, you really don't get very wet, it's not too big a footprint, and you could get away with a small mountain with some theming on the one turntable tower with some indoor scenes around each turntable for the inside.

P1180194.thumb.jpg.02fd5372a4aee5cf88d59914f2a01831.jpgP1180169.thumb.jpg.5b41b7b453d5a6566957518872e66267.jpgP1180176.thumb.jpg.8aff69e7529e4a25d645b63cb8fa7459.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, swfan1988 said:

considering how much time and effort Kings Island just spent refurbishing theirs?

yeah. .I don't see that being a trend.

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bert425 said:

isn't this the same area that they use for Sleepovers during the "stay in the park" event?  (can't recall the name . but I remember reading a Trip Report (from Prozach?) about staying overnight in the park, and they camped in the Antique Cars area).

so yeah. . agreed..will probably become a "rest area"

Yeah. It was a great spot, aside from that fucking hillbilly fortune telling machine talking shit all night.

• Like 1

Not to derail some of these ideas, but that plot of land will more than likely be used for the location of the chef-inspired restaurant that was mentioned here.

In addition, the park’s Frontier Town will introduce a new chef-inspired signature restaurant that is sure to delight guests throughout the season.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

Problem with most log flumes is they require staffing around the whole ride 

Do they still have to be in the USA? Most of the one's I've ridden lately in Asia, even the ones without lap bars, man just the station. Pretty much all the places people would have been are just replaced with CCTV cameras and loud speakers reminding people to not stand up or even just a single sign at the top of the drops.