TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

1 hour ago, coasternut said:

Cedar Point took down both of the video feeds from the park earlier this week. Not sure what this is all about???

They are down, they didn't "take them down" for certain.  The only way to know that for certain would be if the display was removed from the website.

Probably just a glitch.  Don't get worked up.

Wierd to see a grassed area, with picnic tables, where the Stadium used to be. (I was last there, with Bert, in 2017)

Great full TR of your visits there.

And I think grabbing an all-round "Fast Pass" for coasters and rides is necessary for us out-of-towners. During these times.

16 minutes ago, Nrthwnd said:

Wierd to see a grassed area, with picnic tables, where the Stadium used to be. (I was last there, with Bert, in 2017)

Great full TR of your visits there.

And I think grabbing an all-round "Fast Pass" for coasters and rides is necessary for us out-of-towners. During these times.

Thanks!

And yeah, Fast Lane is absolutely necessary unless you visit on one of those random low-crowd weekdays or a majorly overcast day.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:29 PM, Mike240SX said:

Thanks!

And yeah, Fast Lane is absolutely necessary unless you visit on one of those random low-crowd weekdays or a majorly overcast day.

Funny, how I have the ability to ALWAYS go on "random, low-crowd weekdays"... Perhaps they aren't so random after all... 😉

Totally regret not going yesterday. I like everyone else saw the forecast for rain all day and said nope. Shoulda trusted my gut and went. Didn't even rain from what I saw the entire operating day. SV and MF were walkon or nearly walkon from what I saw photos of and read about. That means practically everything else was too. This is the second time I've done this. We wanted to go because it would be the first time we could do scare zones on a Sunday in history, but were afraid if it rained they wouldn't be out anyways. Bah.

6 hours ago, anonymouscactus said:

Totally regret not going yesterday. I like everyone else saw the forecast for rain all day and said nope. Shoulda trusted my gut and went. Didn't even rain from what I saw the entire operating day. SV and MF were walkon or nearly walkon from what I saw photos of and read about. That means practically everything else was too. This is the second time I've done this. We wanted to go because it would be the first time we could do scare zones on a Sunday in history, but were afraid if it rained they wouldn't be out anyways. Bah.

Well I don’t blame you. 14 years of shutting down the entire park for the slightest drizzle, and anyone who has ever visited on a day like that will never want to visit again if there’s even a chance of rain. I know a lot of our forum members are too young to remember, but Cedar Point used to run most rides in heavy rain (so long as it wasn’t accompanied by lightning) until the accident on Magnum in 2007 that they blamed on “the rain” 🙄

I'll say it again that during my 4 day visit, they were running Maverick and SV in the rain. It was a steady rain that wasn't soaking, but hey the coasters were still running. I was astounded and the SV ops just said 'it'll run in light rain' so that seemed encouraging to me. 

4 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I'll say it again that during my 4 day visit, they were running Maverick and SV in the rain. It was a steady rain that wasn't soaking, but hey the coasters were still running. I was astounded and the SV ops just said 'it'll run in light rain' so that seemed encouraging to me. 

It’s definitely a move in the right direction, but it’s going to take a long time to undo the damage done. 

• Like 1

Six Flags over Georgia shuts everything down when it rains and it takes forever to open the rides back up once the rain is gone.  I have never had that happen at Cedar Point.  There are always a few coasters running in the rain.

Was flipping channels tonight and Dinner Impossible with Robert Irvine on the food network was doing a show at the park for the 150th anniversary. He rode a few rides and they had some nice footage of the park and rides during it. I'm sure there will be a few replays if anyone is interested. 

20 hours ago, haydn12 said:

Six Flags over Georgia shuts everything down when it rains and it takes forever to open the rides back up once the rain is gone.  I have never had that happen at Cedar Point.  There are always a few coasters running in the rain.

That happened to me at Cedar Point earlier this year in June.  Anything more than 30 seconds of rain (sometimes even mixed in with sun at the same time) shut down 90%+ of the park when I was there.  This happened a few times, and there was even one instance where they were still in the process of shutting everything down when the rain had already stopped, cleared away, and the sun was shining.  Yet they still proceeded to stand around waiting in the sun for however many minutes until the SOP said it was safe to resume again.  I'm glad to see them adjusting their policy a bit to be less strict with a little bit of rain. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've dumped on this park a TON this year but I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality where the park is open from 11 to Midnight on a Friday in mid-October and the only rides in the entire park that are closed are either down for mechanical reasons and seasonal rides minus Gemeni and Pipe Scream which may be mechanical and will probably open later. Aside from that, only the second unnecessary car ride is closed.

I mean... Windseeker AND Sky Ride are open on Friday, October 15th. That's wild. Good job, Cedar Point.

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I've dumped on this park a TON this year but I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality where the park is open from 11 to Midnight on a Friday in mid-October and the only rides in the entire park that are closed are either down for mechanical reasons and seasonal rides minus Gemeni and Pipe Scream which may be mechanical and will probably open later. Aside from that, only the second unnecessary car ride is closed.

I mean... Windseeker AND Sky Ride are open on Friday, October 15th. That's wild. Good job, Cedar Point.

You think that's crazy?  After a summer of 7PM weekday and 9 PM weekend closings, KD is open until midnight on Friday/Saturday nights, and until 10PM on Sundays, AND is doing all of the Haunt stuff on Sundays with everything running and 20-30 actors per haunt maze.  Even KI doesn't do Haunt on Sundays and has less than half of the shows on Friday/Saturday.

• Like 1

So I went to the park yesterday (Sunday 10/17) and here is a quick rundown. We got there about 2:30 pm since we tried out Chett and Matt's for lunch since everyone talks about it (pizza was just "ok", prices were good, but service was horrible) and also we stopped at harneys market nearby to pick up some sweet sweet ciderboys hard cider (we can't get it locally in Buffalo and it's our favorite brand so we always stop in and stock up whenever we go to CP.)

ANYWAYS... raptor had at least a 90 min wait when we arrived, FL+ took me about 10 min. Man I love this ride, unfortunately I always have to ride the same row for the big boy seats. Boo Streak (yes) had almost a full queue but no line for FL. Excellent. Ride was really fun on it in the back row. Millennium Force had at least an hour wait, FL+ was about 10-15 min (they were actually staggering the ramp and not allowing it to fill all the way to the bottom, however, there was no grouper so the station was a bit flooded with people so it took a bit longer than normal. I'm starting to love MF the more that I ride it. But still not the greatest thing ever. Maverick was about a 15 min wait, with a full queue on the regular line. Rode again at night at while the almost full queue was still there, the ride was a walk-on for FL+!! Holy crap this ride at night in the pitch black tunnel, and having all the fog around during the ride, was my best ride ever on that thing. I love Maverick so much.

Valravn broke down as I was about to get on. The FLP line for Steel Vengeance was the longest I've ever seen it. All the FL queue was full (and this is with the new layout). I waited about 10 min and never moved so I bailed. Had to be at least 45-60 min and I wasnt going to wait that long in a FL line when I've gone other times during the season and don't have to deal with that.

Now here's where things get a little crazy.... so, typically we would go the first weekend of halloweekends in September as "tradition" however, it didn't work out for us this year. We thought for once we would go in October to finally experience the outdoor stuff (blood on the bayou, scare zones, cornstalkers, cut through cove) but holy crap was it busy. Not the Sundays we are used to where almost  all haunts are a walk-in and rides in the front are a walk on. I knew it would be a lot busier than our normal Sunday, but, damn. We got through everything, but just some general comments.

- Cornstalkers (2.0)... wow, of all the Cedar Fair parks this is BY FAR the worst. Like. Not even close. You literally walk on a boardwalk barely the width of a wheelchair just about the ENTIRE time and it's just corn the whole way. There is literally not a single prop other than corn in this maze. There are a few times where an actor is squeezed in with the corn or behind the corn, but man, this was terrible. The line was absolutely insane insane insane (easily an hour and a half but I don't know for sure) luckily we didn't have to wait in it.
- meat meat meat typical slaughterhouse this hasn't changed over the years. The estate, hexed, freak show, same old same old but decent. Deprivation I enjoyed a lot more than I normally do. Regular lines were long. No way you can do everything without fright lane.
- blood on the bayou... so.. you literally walk 10 min to get to it.... it is laid out sooooo poorly. Not very long. Don't go when it initially opens with the hoards of people because the walkthrough will be really bad and you can't get any scares because they're are just too many people walking through it. Then after it's done you need to walk back on the same 10 min path fighting traffic going the other way. No bueno. All the kids and multiple people at the end were all like "that's it?". Sets were OK.
- Cut through cove was neat being under Maverick. It was decent as well and since it's an outdoor walkthrough there is no line for this either. Thankfully.

Anyways, despite the negative, we still had fun, but I would not be caught dead in those lines, for rides or haunts. Not worth paying for Fright Lane because the haunted stuff just aren't very good. (then again we are blessed to have gone to places like Reapers Revenge, hotel of horror, halls of horror, among many other unique haunts around the country) so the Cedar Fair ones just don't cut it anymore and not worth paying extra for.

So in summary, Sunday was crowded and would definitely not recommend without FL+/Fright Lane 😛

I didn't get home until 3am and I ended up calling in to work today, where the whole point of doing Sunday is so I don't need to call in.... If I knew I was going to do that, I would have taken a Thursday off of work to go when there is no crowds and I could walk on to Steel Vengeance all night lol

Amidst all the CP/rain closing reports, thought I'd drop in to share a quick story.

Back in 92/93 I worked on the near-perfect out and back Blue Streak.  All manual operation and we were expected to do 1,250 riders and hour (they do 700-800 per hour now, on a good day I'm told.)  If the rain was past a drizzle, we would go down to one train.  Pretty good for a ride with manual skid brakes.  We would run that until the train started shooting the station; if we couldn't stop it IN the station we had to close.  At least twice we couldn't stop a train and unloaded everyone from the base of the lift.

I always say this, cuz well... it's true.  People were more practical then, respectful and not as wimpy.  Anyway, things are different now.  What was once a perfect ride that really sailed over the hills has become a chunky bumpy mess due to the extra weight added to the trains (restraint gear, including under the train and heavier brakes).  All these changes that happened to wooden coaster trains in the 90s wiped out many of the best - and classic - coasters ever.  The track and structures weren't meant to take that much weight.  Ok, enough of that.  Ride the handful of classics while you still can (extending to Schwarzkopf coasters and their trains <RIP Mind Bender>).

And the one time I fell through the Blue Streak brake run in the rain.  Ouch!  We had privelege, sometimes had minor bumps and bruises, but stayed on our shifts.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

It’s been raining here all afternoon, but pretty much everything is still open. Only coaster that hasn’t operated today is Gemini. 

The park tends to do fine as long as it's not any lightning forecasted. With a poncho and some warm clothes I'm sure today was absolutely amazing for those that risked it. We did the same thing at Kings Island 2 years ago during a rainy day/night. Did everything we wanted 20 times over and it's honestly one of my favorite days I've had at any park. Doing the indoor haunts as the only people walking through, the night ride marathons, we stayed until closing and I would take it over a mob of people. Going through a haunt full of actors as the only people in it is always ten times more terrifying than the typical conga lines.

• Like 1

My wife and I are breaking in our 2021-2022 Gold passes tomorrow. Let's hope the rain and crowds are light. 

I looked back over the posts, but any MUST haunts? We've gone to the park for years, but first time at Halloweekend. 

1 minute ago, MartinU said:

My wife and I are breaking in our 2021-2022 Gold passes tomorrow. Let's hope the rain and crowds are light. 

I looked back over the posts, but any MUST haunts? We've gone to the park for years, but first time at Halloweekend. 

Hexed and the Fearground Freakshow were both very very good, and the Eerie Estate wasn't bad either.  Cornstalkers and Slaughter House both can be safely skipped unless you're really into the themes.  Don't miss the Cut Throat Cove maze-but-not-a-maze between Maverick and the train either.