TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Gatekeeper opened last Sunday for part of the day and hasn’t opened since but it tests basically every afternoon.

I have no clue what’s wrong with it, but my gut says that it’s not that big of a deal since it keeps testing for long periods of time. 

On 7/23/2021 at 9:13 AM, Satans Hockey said:

Almost every major car rental company will rent a car to you, they will just charge an extra fee of like $20-30 a day for being under 25 so just browse the Cleveland Airport prices for rental cars and be sure to check their fees. Also if the prices are really high check out the rental prices at some rental locations not at the airport. Sometimes you can get a really good deal that makes it worth it to take an uber to another rental location. 

Personally I've been curious about Turo but never tried it cause some of the reviews I've read have made me eh about it, like some owners apparently can be super annoying and can keep contacting you and there are total miles / daily limits on some cars. Just has never seemed worth the hassle to me if I can get a similar priced car from a rental place. Personally I've always stuck with Budget and Enterprise because I've never had any issues with them. 

Interesting. Thanks (all) for the info.

I guess the reason I am hesitant about renting a car is because it will end up sitting in a parking lot for 2 days while I stay onsite. That just seems like throwing away money when I can just pay for a single ride to and from the airport. But that makes sense that getting back to CLE from CP is more difficult than the other way around. I guess renting a car has its advantages too, like being in control of your schedule and when you leave. I'll have to do some browsing. Perhaps I will wait until next summer when I can take a whole week off and lump it with other parks to make renting a car more worthwhile.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

There’s also an insane rental car shortage right now and prices are through the stratosphere in a lot of markets so factor that in too. Lol

THAT^^.   We are renting a car to to KI (keep the miles off of ours) and it's $100/day.   And has anyone seen local car dealership lots?  It's soooo weird seeing nearly empty lots.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

I guess the reason I am hesitant about renting a car is because it will end up sitting in a parking lot for 2 days while I stay onsite. That just seems like throwing away money when I can just pay for a single ride to and from the airport. But that makes sense that getting back to CLE from CP is more difficult than the other way around. I guess renting a car has its advantages too, like being in control of your schedule and when you leave. I'll have to do some browsing. Perhaps I will wait until next summer when I can take a whole week off and lump it with other parks to make renting a car more worthwhile.

Thanks guys.

having the car lets you go to Thirsty Pony (if you so desire) and more importantly, lets you make a trip over to CVS so you can stock up the mini fridge in Breakers.

you're already paying for Breakers, don't even blink twice at the cost of car rental! (even if it sits.. I just did that at Kings Island, where I rented and the car sat at hotel for 3 days. . but was nice to have when I wanted to run to Wendy's and the store)

2 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Thanks guys.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

There’s also an insane rental car shortage right now and prices are through the stratosphere in a lot of markets so factor that in too. Lol

https://www.uber.com/global/en/price-estimate/

know this just an estimate but plugging it now I was surprised that the prices were only around $70 each way for an uber. With it being that cheap I would just go with an uber at that point. The under 25 fee each day alone is basically the cost of 1 of the trips. You can always schedule a pickup time in advance with uber as well on the way back to Cleveland. Definitely cheaper than a rental car. 

You better check if you can do advance schedule with Uber in Sandusky. It is NOT available in all markets. Last time I checked Orlando had it but not for me at home in STL. I also vote to do the rental, at least Breakers let's you park for free.

• Like 1

^Oh, that is good to know! Thank you.

I guess it's a matter of cost vs. convenience, like most trip planning. I would already be staying at Breakers so it's not like this is a cheap/discount vacation to begin with. Guess I have some deciding to do. I probably wouldn't regret getting a rental car, but I could see myself regretting relying on Uber. I appreciate all the info everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Sounds like you got this figured out.

Yep. Just booked Breakers and flights. I'm gonna shop around for the cheapest rental car but I've decided that's the best (and most reliable) option, despite being $$$$.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm excited to finally come back and ride SV. Hopefully the park's operations and staffing are tolerable the last weekend in August. It's before Labor Day so I should expect most things to be open, right? lol

• Like 5

Steel Vengeance is insane. RMC pulled out so many stops for that thing. It really is New Texas Giant but on unnecessarily copious amounts of crack.

Got a once-in-a-lifetime front row Millennium Force ride on Saturday night. Some idiot kids kept on delaying the ride by messing with the gate, so a normal dusk ride became a pitch black, post-park-closing ride. Lake Erie transforms into the abyss. During the first overbank, we saw lightning in the distance, so me and my buddy ended up getting the last front row ride of the night. 

On a regular ride, Millennium Force has mystical healing properties for the heart and soul. During a night ride like that, it transcends that and brings you to another plane of existence where worries don’t exist. Just euphoria, ecstasy, and Lake Erie air blasting you in the face at 100mph in the dark.

I haven’t had the energy to update my dumb coaster enthusiast bs ranking spreadsheet since then but there is absolutely no way that any other ride could provide that experience. MF #1, GOATed. What else can I say? I love going fast.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, LiftThrill said:

On a regular ride, Millennium Force has mystical healing properties for the heart and soul. During a night ride like that, it transcends that and brings you to another plane of existence where worries don’t exist. Just euphoria, ecstasy, and Lake Erie air blasting you in the face at 100mph in the dark.

I haven’t had the energy to update my dumb coaster enthusiast bs ranking spreadsheet since then but there is absolutely no way that any other ride could provide that experience. MF #1, GOATed. What else can I say? I love going fast.

Even if I didn't had that special experience, Millennium Force is and will ever be the one coaster I'll be always thinking of if I try to rank, compare or define any coaster I am riding. It is just pure pleasure to me. We had four nights at Cedar Point in July 2017 and ended every day with binge riding Millennium Force. It's just such a wholesome feeling the darker it gets. I haven't had a comparable coaster experience yet. I rode better coasters. I rode more intense coasters. I rode faster coasters. I rode higher coasters. I rode steeper coasters. But no one gave me this complete, heart soothing enduring experience you have from entering the station to leaving it after a couple of laps while using the magic gate.

• Like 6

My husband and I are thinking of doing platinum passes for 2022 but we already have Gold Passes for Kings Island this year.  Do we want to upgrade them when next year's season passes go on sale (usually in August is the normal)? If we upgrade to Platinum should we be able to go to Cedar Point for Haunt this year?? I'm thinking we'd have to get them processed up there?? 

Thanks!

On 7/26/2021 at 4:03 AM, LiftThrill said:

I feel like I just read an advertisement for LSD...

• Haha 1

^ wow. . tho not surprising that word has gotten out that you NEED a FP to have a good day most times now, so of course they are gonna increase cost.

they gotta recoup lost 2020 $$ somehow.  :(

• Sad 1

I wonder if this happens more often than you realize if you're not checking the FT+ pricing regularly. When we went to Carowinds earlier this year about a month before our trip FL+ was around $70~ then a few weeks later it went up to like $100~. 

52 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Shit. They increased the FP price. Now $200 on weekends up from $160? Weekdays went up too about $30. Idk if that's enough to deter people and make FL more enjoyable. 

I'm showing $225.

image.thumb.png.f8e8366fa3295b1ca3a286c9e017af3f.png