TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

3 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

Legitimate question: What's the difference between a junior coaster and a kiddie coaster?

I dunno if there's anything official. . but here's my take.

as Bill said:  Junior pretty much any age from 2-3 and up can ride, and they are designed with seats large enough to fit parents.   Kiddie, they are meant for the much littler kiddos, maybe barely walking age?

another difference is that a Kiddie coaster doesn't tend to do much more than go in a small figure 8 (if that), but a Junior coaster has tracks that mimic the Adult rides, just at a smaller scale.

just my take.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

More rides for you and others! I will comfortably pass :)

Honestly, it was a Real Surprise to those who had been to CM! before. CP had never offered Wilderness Run before, during past CM! weekends.

So of course, those who knew we had a chance to ride the thing, went for it, LOL. And some shamefully failed....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nrthwnd said:

Honestly, it was a Real Surprise to those who had been to CM! before. CP had never offered Wilderness Run before, during past CM! weekends.

So of course, those who knew we had a chance to ride the thing, went for it, LOL. And some shamefully failed....

Eh for real, to each their own :) I've gotten flak for loving MForce, as well as Wicked Twister (someone was once making fun of me...weird bc they kept tagging along w/o asking and I was like Im already being nice by not telling you to leave, now you keep mocking what I wanna do? bruh lol) so yeah I dont judge, just not something I have any interest in. 

Oh hope no one thinks the comfortably was a pun. It wasn't, I promise I'm not that clever. Covid + New England winter did me bad. Prob worst shape I've been in and it shows. Been losing the flab and good thing, I almost didn't fit in Intimidator and had to do some flab suck in. First time that's happened. Though it may have been that ride, I wasn't even close to having an issue in any of the other rides in 3 parks I did. Still, CP had some tight fits I recall. Deff gunna shed my travel bloat and crash diet for the next week and a half to be safe! 

By the way, that "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!111!!!!" from the local radio station posted on the last page?  Yeah, it's that the station is giving away one of the Ticket of a Lifetime packages.  Told you all not to get excited.abc.jpg.bfb00fe3a74aabf29a99ba6ff5c3f27c.jpg

• Haha 1

For comparison. . here's the official POV for Wilderness Run
(and note they refer to it as a kiddie coaster in the description)

Let the kids take a virtual ride on Wilderness Run! Sit back, relax and enjoy this POV on this popular kiddie coaster.

and here's Woodstock Express, which is a Junior coaster, and is described thusly:

Woodstock Express is the perfect ride for your roller-coaster-riders in training! Sit back and enjoy the speedy bends and hills.

it's interesting that they are right across the walkway (maybe 20 feet) from each other.

• Like 2

My son Joel got a ride on Wilderness Run when he was 16. The ride op wasn't thrilled but let him do it, can't remember if it was just slow that day or he was technically still a kid or what. Thankfully for him he is super skinny so no issues getting the click.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jew said:

This is an uncomfortable amount of kiddie coaster discussion.

but Wilderness Run goes around twice! 

does it therefore count as TWO credits?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I recall SV isn't opening with early access on weekdays? Is this correct? Just to help w planning, I'll try to hit Maverick right at 9 to beat the early access crowds in that case and not even worry about SV. Esp since people will likely just spend the whole hour waiting for it to open.

As much as most people here will harp on the "benefits" of staying at Breakers to get early access, if you only have X dollars to spend, you will undoubtedly get more bang for the buck from the FL+ option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SingleRiderCam said:

As an Admissions Associate, I can confirm that Steel Vengeance is only open for early access on the weekend.

Excellent thanks! Don't mind btw just wanted to make sure that was correct so I can plan for it :)

13 minutes ago, Mikxy said:

Would it be better to stay at cp and do early access on a weekend or stay nearby and enter at standard time w/ FL+ on a weekday, guessing the latter

Is it your first time going? BC staying on site and all for your first visit IS an experience. 

That said, depending on when you plan to go....a weekday with FL+ is likely "better". I only go on weekdays early or late season, and historically crowds aren't too bad. For what lines there are, that is where FL comes in handy. That said it's still a lot...if you wanna save some $ but still want early access there is always breakers express. But if you really wanna save $ yeah I agree, FL+ on a weekday is likely more productive.

I will say though even with early access....you may not get as much done as you think. With Maverick I could squeeze 2, maybe 3 in, SV pretty much one... so even if you went w early access, you may wanna cave and get a FL+ anyway ESP being a weekend. If you are doing just one day, you prob shouldn't try CP without FL if you wanna get the most done you can. 

1 minute ago, JJLehto said:

Excellent thanks! Don't mind btw just wanted to make sure that was correct so I can plan for it :)

Is it your first time going? BC staying on site and all for your first visit IS an experience. 

That said, depending on when you plan to go....a weekday with FL+ is likely "better". I only go on weekdays early or late season, and historically crowds aren't too bad. For what lines there are, that is where FL comes in handy. That said it's still a lot...if you wanna save some $ but still want early access there is always breakers express. I won't lie I've never gone to CP w/o early access. I still am inclined to say the weekday w FL is better BUT 1: if its your first time I'd cave and do on site, if you can, 2 Id really look into breakers express. 3 hate to say...FL+ is probably always necessary. Even with early access....you may not get as much done as you think. With Maverick I could squeeze 2, maybe 3 in, SV pretty much one...  tldr you may wanna get FL+ regardless of what you do.

I've been a couple times before, never without fastlane+, so I'll just stick to the weekday and probably save some money by staying at a crappy place offsight. Going from MN to CP, hitting Mt. Olympus on the way, spending night and going to park early next day, at least 1 full day at cp, maybe 2, but probably just one. Then thinking of going to Kennywood, Hershey, Dorney, KD, Carowinds, and hitting KI on the way back to MN. Free admission/parking at CF parks, anybody else think a different plan might be better? Going to be weird trying to figure out which parks to do on weekend vs weekday with limited days open for a lot of places, might trim a couple parks but probably not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikxy said:

I've been a couple times before, never without fastlane+, so I'll just stick to the weekday and probably save some money by staying at a crappy place offsight. Going from MN to CP, hitting Mt. Olympus on the way, spending night and going to park early next day, at least 1 full day at cp, maybe 2, but probably just one. Then thinking of going to Kennywood, Hershey, Dorney, KD, Carowinds, and hitting KI on the way back to MN. Free admission/parking at CF parks, anybody else think a different plan might be better? Going to be weird trying to figure out which parks to do on weekend vs weekday with limited days open for a lot of places, might trim a couple parks but probably not.

Go to Knoebels instead of, or in addition to, Dorney.  Unless you're big on water parks, you can bang Dorney Park's unique adult rides out in like 2 hours.

Driving from PA down to Carowinds, you will pass right by Kings Dominion, which is a much more time-worthy stop than Dorney.

• Like 3

Just now, Mike240SX said:

Go to Knoebels instead of, or in addition to, Dorney.  Unless you're big on water parks, you can bang Dorney Park's unique adult rides out in like 2 hours.

Driving from PA down to Carowinds, you will pass right by Kings Dominion, which is a much more time-worthy stop than Dorney.

Will probably do both Knoebels and Dorney in the same day, honestly there's only like 4-6 rides total between the two I'm interested in riding. King's Dominion looks very promising, wish V:TBC was still there tho. Heard I:305 is down but will still absolutely go, not sure if BGW is worth the $$$ to just try and and squeeze the coasters in and not experience the whole park.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mikxy said:

Ah, yeah in this case I would agree/do the same myself. Also damn that's a helluva trip! 

Since you got a platinum pass and going all the way to Carowinds, might as well squeeze in KD it'll be free for ya as well and should be along the way. IDK When you plan on going but hopefully I305 will be up by then. Also while in PA try to squeeze in Knoebels, you'll be in the area and its a small but wonderful park. Shouldn't need much time to knock it out. Its even feasible to do it an Dorney on the same day if so inclined, but yeah I'd try to get that in some way! 

Edit: Seems like you're into this idea. Sounds like you're doing a trip along my lines: Just hit those coasters. In that case yeah deff do both. You can indeed speed through Dorney, and Knoebels for that matter. Hit the necessities and move on!

4 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Ah, yeah in this case I would agree/do the same myself. Also damn that's a helluva trip! 

Since you got a platinum pass and going all the way to Carowinds, might as well squeeze in KD it'll be free for ya as well and should be along the way. IDK When you plan on going but hopefully I305 will be up by then. Also while in PA try to squeeze in Knoebels, you'll be in the area and its a small but wonderful park. Shouldn't need much time to knock it out. Its even feasible to do it an Dorney on the same day if so inclined, but yeah I'd try to get that in some way! 

Edit: Seems like you're into this idea. Sounds like you're doing a trip along my lines: Just hit those coasters. In that case yeah deff do both. You can indeed speed through Dorney, and Knoebels for that matter. Hit the necessities and move on!

Haha don't have the platinum pass, just work at VF and need to finally be able to say I've visited over 50% of the chain ;) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

As much as most people here will harp on the "benefits" of staying at Breakers to get early access, if you only have X dollars to spend, you will undoubtedly get more bang for the buck from the FL+ option.

very very few would say the reason to stay at Breakers is to get the early access.

but what most all of us WILL say is stay at Breakers for the Convenience - you can walk back to the room to take a break, drop stuff off at the room, get food from the fridge.
the early entry is just an added plus, but certainly not the main reason to stay there.

hell. . the times I've stayed at Breakers, I've done FL+ on top of it anyways.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mikxy said:

Will probably do both Knoebels and Dorney in the same day, honestly there's only like 4-6 rides total between the two I'm interested in riding. King's Dominion looks very promising, wish V:TBC was still there tho. Heard I:305 is down but will still absolutely go, not sure if BGW is worth the $$$ to just try and and squeeze the coasters in and not experience the whole park.

Knoebels will surprise you.  Aside from the big three woodies (Phoenix, Twister, and Flying Turns - which hasn't yet operated this year and possibly won't), there is Impulse, a surprisingly smooth Zierer, and Black Diamond (an incredible rebuild of a historic ride) for coasters, and a ton of awesome historic flats, including:
-A whip that runs close to its original speed.
-Bumper cars that run at an insane speed
-A great Haunted Mansion ride-through haunted house.
-Looper, which if you have a partner for this trip, is something to be experienced.
-Cosmotron, an indoor Musik Express-style ride with an actual DJ and light show
-A great log flume
-A classic carosel with the ability to grab brass rings!
-A hillarious drive-'em boat ride.
-Paratrooper, Roto Jets, Satellite, and Round-Up, four classics that are tougher and tougher to find.
-A nutty drop tower that, while not that tall, doesn't brake until like the last 10 feet.

It is really not a place to be trifled with, and if you end up there on a Saturday you can easily spend the whole operating day there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mikxy said:

Haha don't have the platinum pass, just work at VF and need to finally be able to say I've visited over 50% of the chain ;) 

Damn even better!! Paid to have free access to all CF parks, now that's the life! 

But yeah as it's been said, since you've been to CP a few times and seem to be doing a coasters trip vs an experiences trip, a weekday and FL+ is prob way to go, as someone said "most bang for your buck" and you've been so you aren't missing out. Though as all have said you really can't do CP without it regardless even with early access. Yeah deff squeeze in Knoebels. Its true you can spend all day there, but even if you just wanna do a "hit and run" its deff worth it, some solid coasters! And yeah hit KD along the way/from Carowinds since you're going down there, I mean if its for free :) If you wanna put faith in an employee...they told me there was no cable snap and they don't think the I305 issue is major, so I'd bank on it and Twisted Timbers is also damn glorious. Like it exceeded my expectations, which were already quite high! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mikxy said:

if you've never been to Knoebels before, I'd strongly suggest you plan for more than just a partial day there.

the place really is pretty incredible, and you're going to want multiple rides on both Phoenix and Twister.   (and flats you may think you have no interest in?  run incredible programs at Knoebels and are worth riding.  That's not even mentioning the food, playing a game (or several dozen) of Fascination, or wandering thru the mining museum).    

if you do end up trying to do Dorney & Knobels on the same day, do Knoebels 1st. . so that way when you decide you want to stay longer, you can just blow off Dorney :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bert425 said:

LOL. . @Mike240SX. . I basically said the same thing about Knoebels you did. . LOL

(was typing when you posted it!)

I try.  Knoebels is just this magical place that you can't properly experience in a short run.  I'll admit I was disappointed my first trip, but my second and third were incredible.