TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

28 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

At this point, "we'll actually be open every day in June like we told everyone for months" would be a big announcement.

Or, is it a radio station promotion announcement?  Maybe they are giving away season tix or something.   It's probably not as big as they make it out to be.  I did radio for 10 years and the hype is usually overrated to draw listeners.... the FOMO!  It's real!

23 hours ago, Carrie said:

It really does sound like times have changed since I worked there.  That was in 93.  Back then, it is where college students flocked to..it was a HUGE social event for us.  We didn't get paid a ginormous amount of money and no OT (due to being seasonal), but as I said, it was a social thing and most college students didn't have car payments, car insurance, mortgages, etc....many had parents paying tuition, car insurance, etc so whatever they made, they pocketed it (aside from dorm rent and food).  I had a car there but many did not..... we had a decent night life (TGIFridays was at the entrance of the causeway) amongst other things that centered around the park/beaches/put in bay.  It was THE job to have back then.  It's different now.  I think mentality is a bit different.  My daughter is 16 and most of her friends don't work and have their parents supply everything for them.   Why would they want to work? I wouldn't want to!  It's unfortunate because the real world hits HARD when you step into it.  Mortgage, car insurance, health insurance...and you pay it or you don't have it.  Period.  I told my daughter when she gets old enough to go to Cedar Point to work to do it.  You can't argue that it isn't great experience.  You work your butt off but depending upon your position, you learn some valuable people-skills, money skills, customer service skills......oh wait.   That last one doesn't exist, anymore.   When school is out in a few weeks here, I told my daughter she WILL work or she won't drive (insurance/car), she won't be going to movies, etc with friends, etc and so on.  It's a hard lesson, but a very valuable one.   But, for $20/hour, I would flock there NOW to work!  $20/hr to  be a sweeper?? Yes, please.  No people to deal with.  You do your job and you are left alone (I dealt with people...front desk Sand Castle Suites Hotel).  But, i am not local and I have an age factor soooooooo.....but, maybe they wouldn't care at this point??? ;0) LOL

Well yeah, times did change. The cost of college has dramatically shifted, and the demands of employers to do things like unpaid work (internships in related fields, for example) has grown tremendously. There's no benefit to the majority of college or high school students to work at Cedar Point. In fact, working jobs like this generally gets you looked down on in professional or academic fields. It's a net negative. And then there's the whole "They're open when school is in session" conundrum that they never bothered to figure out when expanding the calendar beyond Labor Day 20+ years ago. This isn't new: Cedar Point's staffing has been abysmal for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS. 

• Like 3

That's for sure! Avg cost of in state tuition for public college in 1993: $3827. 2021: $25,000  ofc exact numbers will vary but the change is pretty accurate over time. As my student loans and surely others here can attest too :( 

And on top of the not good pay (though seems CP is really trying to rectify that out of necessity) people can correct me if wrong....working parks seems a brutal job tbh I know Cedar Point always relied heavily on intl workers (which ofc are not a thing right now) and besides that...I always had the feeling a good number were enthusiasts who do the job out of passion. Admirable, and honestly I admire all who work the parks for us to enjoy, esp rides and having to deal w people in general...seems like a rough job. Despite my love of parks, I have never once considered working at one. Esp in college, would never have been worth it. So yeah kudos to all who do it, and I hope by 2022 people can move freely and CP can again use intl workers, as clearly its hard to get enough people domestically, for reasons that are quite sensible. 

Any updates on people who got shafted w the schedule change getting refunds and etc? 

$20 is the highest starting wage in the industry, so I’m sure they’ll find the people they need at the expense of other businesses in Sandusky. 

1 hour ago, Jew said:

$20 is the highest starting wage in the industry, so I’m sure they’ll find the people they need at the expense of other businesses in Sandusky. 

So long as the Thirst Pony is not affected, so be it. :)

• Like 1

I wonder how many applicants they are going to get this week with their $20/hr announcement? I wonder if they'll get enough new hires out of this to reverse their closure dates for at least the last Tues/Wed in June. Starting at $20/hr is a game changer in the theme park industry, even if its just a seasonal job. Once they are able to get international workers again (probably 2022) if they keep this starting wage they'll have a lot less staffing issues going forward. 

The only thing is it still lists $15/hr as a starting wage on their website. They they just get around to updating it yet?

https://jobs.cedarfair.com/our-parks/cedar-point/

11 hours ago, JJLehto said:

That's for sure! Avg cost of in state tuition for public college in 1993: $3827. 2021: $25,000  ofc exact numbers will vary but the change is pretty accurate over time. As my student loans and surely others here can attest too :( 

And on top of the not good pay (though seems CP is really trying to rectify that out of necessity) people can correct me if wrong....working parks seems a brutal job tbh I know Cedar Point always relied heavily on intl workers (which ofc are not a thing right now) and besides that...I always had the feeling a good number were enthusiasts who do the job out of passion. Admirable, and honestly I admire all who work the parks for us to enjoy, esp rides and having to deal w people in general...seems like a rough job. Despite my love of parks, I have never once considered working at one. Esp in college, would never have been worth it. So yeah kudos to all who do it, and I hope by 2022 people can move freely and CP can again use intl workers, as clearly its hard to get enough people domestically, for reasons that are quite sensible. 

Any updates on people who got shafted w the schedule change getting refunds and etc? 

It's an awful job. And you know, back in 2001 or whatever, if you were an 18 year old coaster enthusiast, your one clear path to making it in the theme park industry was to work for a park. Now the ride firms are actively hiring fans. There's theme park and coaster design programs at major universities. And most importantly, there's YouTube, where you can monetize your hobby without ever having to do anything other than your hobby. Vastly different set of opportunities out there to do things with entire genres of attraction like escape game being basically invented since then. It's good to do if you want to grasp the operational side and what the practicality of running your attraction will resemble, but that's about it. You could probably just buy a season's pass, park yourself at ride entrance, and watch people's activity as an alternative while collecting a paycheck for R&D.

The park ended up granting me reservations for Sunday after I emailed them. Hoping to not buy Fastlane but if I do it would be Monday. Why the hell isn't the park open till 10pm on a holiday weekend?

I'm hopeful that this $20/hour thing goes over so well that the park is able to realize some actual value from paying the employees more and it results in drastically improved operations and in park spending.  After all, "with so many gold passes out there", you'd think they need to have people spending money as frequently as possible, which they can't do if they are in line for food for an hour at a time.  Wishful thinking...but I'd like to go that last scheduled full week of operations and hope the park isn't as much of a disaster by then.

• Like 1

To anyone else doing Coastermania, they have released the schedule and yall it's amazing. Morning ERT of MForce, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Valravn. That is great. 9-10 ERT has Wicked Twister (Im stoked) Blue Streak Iron Dragon. 

Night ERT includes Magnum, Skyhawk, Maverick, TTD, SV. That is a pretty damn brilliant event. Already planning the day. 
Do we know yet if SV has been/will be operating at 10 am? I only ask bc last time I went, this was 2019 ofc, it was never opening before noon. I also recall that weekdays SV isn't open for normal early access correct? Only asking bc I assume people will spend the full hour early access waiting for it to never open so I'll plan accordingly. Like try to time it right when those lines get in but before the masses hit, OR I'll just do maverick first and wait for night ERT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

To anyone else doing Coastermania, they have released the schedule and yall it's amazing. Morning ERT of MForce, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Valravn. That is great. 9-10 ERT has Wicked Twister (Im stoked) Blue Streak Iron Dragon. 

Night ERT includes Magnum, Skyhawk, Maverick, TTD, SV. That is a pretty damn brilliant event. Already planning the day. 
Do we know yet if SV has been/will be operating at 10 am? I only ask bc last time I went, this was 2019 ofc, it was never opening before noon. I also recall that weekdays SV isn't open for normal early access correct? Only asking bc I assume people will spend the full hour early access waiting for it to never open so I'll plan accordingly. Like try to time it right when those lines get in but before the masses hit, OR I'll just do maverick first and wait for night ERT

I'm going for the first time this year but from my understanding it is pretty standard that they pair Millennium Force with the B&M's. I believe in the past they paired Dragster with Magnum and Steel Vengeance with Maverick, but they are giving 2 hours for Steel Vengeance, Maverick, and Dragster at least. I'm glad those 3 are at night and the Millennium Force and B&M's are in the morning. 

Just hoping for good weather.

my one Coastermania , the evening ERT had longer lines than thruout the day.    The folks lined up waiting for Maverick ERT was so nuts, we just went over and got a ride on Wilderness Run- it was being offered, and it was a chance to ride a rare coaster (1st Intamin that usually adults can't get on)

• Like 1

Oof sorry to hear. Can only vouch for the two times I went but deff wasn't the case. Night ERT was great esp for SV, was deff shorter than the line for the day even with FL (which was consistently like 40ish mins and while people reassured me it will die down near park close, it did not lol). Yeah I recall last time lots of people did line up to wait for Maverick to open but ya know, once the line was flowing it wasnt bad. If such a thing happens then yeah I'd duck away to something else and come back once its moving. 

Wilderness Run is indeed on ERT as well. Epic for people that will be there with their kids though I will continue to not have that credit and do Gemini, Magnum and esp Skyhawk instead. I love that ride too much :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

my one Coastermania , the evening ERT had longer lines than thruout the day.    The folks lined up waiting for Maverick ERT was so nuts, we just went over and got a ride on Wilderness Run- it was being offered, and it was a chance to ride a rare coaster (1st Intamin that usually adults can't get on)

I think adults can ride it during normal hours if they go to town hall/guest relations and get a card stating they're an enthusiast.

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

Oof sorry to hear. Can only vouch for the two times I went but deff wasn't the case. Night ERT was great esp for SV, was deff shorter than the line for the day even with FL (which was consistently like 40ish mins and while people reassured me it will die down near park close, it did not lol). Yeah I recall last time lots of people did line up to wait for Maverick to open but ya know, once the line was flowing it wasnt bad. If such a thing happens then yeah I'd duck away to something else and come back once its moving. 

Wilderness Run is indeed on ERT as well. Epic for people that will be there with their kids though I will continue to not have that credit and do Gemini, Magnum and esp Skyhawk instead. I love that ride too much :)

yeah, it died down later.

you should ride WR, just for the history. . and that usually adults aren't allowed on it at all.

they ran it with only 4 adults total on the train - to ensure it makes it up the 1st lift, I'd assume.

BUT you still have to be able to get that teeny tiny seatbelt to click. . LOL. .we saw many walks of shame from Wilderness Run.
(it got a decent line too)

IMG_1942.thumb.JPG.c19c5e16854103d2eccc7025815bf81f.JPGIMG_1941.thumb.JPG.3ec158da9c8c9977a90bbc5abc660f20.JPGIMG_1939.thumb.JPG.8694fa15dd0749bad330f6c6b98f66df.JPG

• Like 1

Not the day I went :( Everyone here said it would happen and I'm sure generally it does! But least that day....nope right till park closing fast lane for SV was still like 45 mins. Guess it was bad luck but with night ERT wasn't really a big deal. Thank goodness for that! 

Eh nah, to each their own and I've spun the broken record enough I wont repeat but its not my cup o tea, and yeah...for that line I'll just go do skyhawk personally. But yeah I'm excited now that the schedule is out, it feels "real" and I'm stoked. I feel bad for the public that park is closing at 8 but I'm pretty glad, I always needed a break and felt like hell the next day when it would run till like 1:30 AM. I'm really glad it'll be done by 11. 

I mean... I'm pretty big into fitness, but I don't think I could cast judgement on someone who couldn't fit into a junior coaster. Any of us could probably be one bad binge season away from a walk of shame on Woodstock Express, considering it looks like your knees can slam the headrest of the car in front of you.

^ Dude in the green was probably in a leg cast the next day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

it's not even a junior coaster. . Wilderness Run really is a kiddie coaster. . but it was the 1st Intamin, so why not ride it :)

the seat belt is designed for toddlers. . . but you had to be able to click it.    I BARELY fit on Wilderness Run. .it was tight.    So not making fun of anyone, just noting, lots of walks that night.

(the Woodstock Express , which IS a Junior coaster, we fit in just fine and they were encouraging adults to ride during the day.  It was pretty fun too).

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1877a.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bert425 said:

it's not even a junior coaster. . Wilderness Run really is a kiddie coaster. . but it was the 1st Intamin, so why not ride it :)

Can't agree more here.  It's historic.  Must ride.

^ My guess.....

Junior Coaster = Parents can ride with their kids.

Kiddie Coaster = The Kids are On Their Own.

IMG_3814.JPG.a1df0ca6d58d34cfb87f20f89c272cc5.JPG

And yes, Wilderness Run had it's share of walks-of-shames. She loved it. CoasterMANIA! June 02/2017.