TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sounds like the staffing is even worse than previous years now… which is really bad.

I remember ~10 or so years ago where there was no phased opening of rides in the morning, no closed food stands, and they’d run the big guys late into the night for those final night riders. Seemed like a lot of efficient European workers at the time. Coming from my home park of Paramount-era Carowinds I couldn’t believe how clean the park was and how great the staff were. 

It’s way harder for me to justify travel expenses, a room at Breakers, fast passes for the weekend, and all the other costs when the park can’t even open itself properly. There’s no excuse at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, i305isdaddy said:

There’s no excuse at this point.

Wait. What?

I have friends who are talking about big travel plans, including trips overseas. This still isn't the year. It's going to take a long time for the workforce to recover, and operations to get back to normal. Many travel and recreational experiences are going to be filtered in one way or another, and amusement parks are absolutely no exception given the size of their operations. Things may get closer to being back to normal as the season goes on, but I wouldn't expect things to be back to how they were in 2019, until maybe next year.

Hopefully I misinterpreted your post, but it's unreasonable to think otherwise. Cedar Point always has staffing difficulties, but if you were to ever cut them some slack, now would be the time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, i305isdaddy said:

Seemed like a lot of efficient European workers at the time.

Yeah I wonder what prevented parks from being able to hire certain overseas workers this year? I hate to pile on the negativity against this post but come on dude. 

• Like 3

11 days out and the calendar still shows this...

Screenshot_20210521-101751.thumb.png.b3b5934b63253e621995d9167f34fdc2.png

Between flight, car, hotels, and passes I paid almost $1400 for my wife and I for this trip. And yet here we are 9 days away from leaving and 11 days away from the CP portion of the trip totally sitting in the dark. And the park won't answer ANY questions about June.

I get that they're short staffed and it's early season, I really do. I would understand it if I got there and half the rides were closed and like 2 restaurants were open in the whole park. But this is WAY too late for them to pull the plug on entire days that they still have showing as open on the calendar. If theyre really planning on doing this, then stop hiding it so that people who planned on being there can change things up before it's too late for hotel refunds and stuff.

8 minutes ago, Zand said:

Between flight, car, hotels, and passes I paid almost $1400 for my wife and I for this trip. And yet here we are 9 days away from leaving and 11 days away from the CP portion of the trip totally sitting in the dark. And the park won't answer ANY questions about June.

I get that they're short staffed and it's early season, I really do. I would understand it if I got there and half the rides were closed and like 2 restaurants were open in the whole park. But this is WAY too late for them to pull the plug on entire days that they still have showing as open on the calendar. If theyre really planning on doing this, then stop hiding it so that people who planned on being there can change things up before it's too late for hotel refunds and stuff.

O M G.   It was grayed out yesterday!  

10 minutes ago, Zand said:

A432DFD0-C291-4DA0-9379-86A3044D8C7A.png

Other options would be to go east.  Kennywood, Hershey, Waldameer, Knoebels, etc.

Cedar Point is a sh*t show at the moment.  Hate to see someone in your position having to guess if the park is going to be open.  Their communication is poor at the moment.

2 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

Yeah, watch them fall back on the fine print on their calendar page...

Looks like the Indians are at home from 5/30 thru 6/2, maybe that could be a backup option?

image.thumb.png.777de89e9eda9c12fc1c41af0d64dd8a.png

My backup plan is to do the trip in reverse...CP Sunday/Monday and KI Tuesday/Wednesday. Didnt want to do it that way but that's what it's looking like. CP will be a sh*tshow of epic proportions on Memorial Day weekend and Fastlane is like $40 more than at KI (plus by all accounts, will still have massive lines). Plus one of the bonuses of being at KI on the holiday weekend was 10PM closings and night rides. Won't get that on Tue/Wed.

Funny part is on CP's Twitter, other people have caught on that they're totally ignoring questions about the June calendar. And Tony Clark's latest post has all replies blocked. I dont understand why they need to hide this apparent plan for June. Just announce it and get it over with.

The park calendar has always shown them as open but the reservation calendar has shown them as full for those days, which they're obviously not. They've now restricted all hotels for those days also, though they haven't shut off campgrounds for the moment.

Untitled.jpg

14 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I'm only 35 years young. I'm already battling with mid-day park fatigue, and I have to account for a full day of recovery after drinking a few beers and eating shit food.

13 hours ago, disownedpear said:

I'm in my 20s and find it possible but unpleasant to spend an entire day at a park, usually I'll go back to my hotel or an off site restaurant during peak hours.

You young'uns are lightweights, I'm 53 and I can make it all day. Although I do feel it the next day. And you two don't even have to deal with the aggravation and potential physical pain of keeping the "girls" in place on rides; which gets a lot harder as you age and costs a lot more money   #sportsbrasareexpensive

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The feeling rough the day after isn't a fitness thing. We love being active. It has to do with what I eat and drink. The midday power naps just help me stay refreshed before the unhealthiness begins.

2 hours ago, Zand said:

It's unfortunate, but you took a gamble when you booked the trip. Any plans in 2021 are still gambles. As for the lack of communication, there are probably no plans at this point. Maybe they're waiting for an answer before they reply. I bet they're inundated. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

You young'uns are lightweights, I'm 53 and I can make it all day. Although I do feel it the next day. And you two don't even have to deal with the aggravation and potential physical pain of keeping the "girls" in place on rides; which gets a lot harder as you age and costs a lot more money   #sportsbrasareexpensive

LOL I'm close to you...,but have zero chest to speak of!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zand said:

My backup plan is to do the trip in reverse...CP Sunday/Monday and KI Tuesday/Wednesday. Didnt want to do it that way but that's what it's looking like. CP will be a sh*tshow of epic proportions on Memorial Day weekend and Fastlane is like $40 more than at KI (plus by all accounts, will still have massive lines). Plus one of the bonuses of being at KI on the holiday weekend was 10PM closings and night rides. Won't get that on Tue/Wed.

Funny part is on CP's Twitter, other people have caught on that they're totally ignoring questions about the June calendar. And Tony Clark's latest post has all replies blocked. I dont understand why they need to hide this apparent plan for June. Just announce it and get it over with.

I saw a Twitter post where an apparent "employee" of CP stated they are grayed out because the days are full in capacity.  LOL I'm thinking , "and the Saturdays are not?".   YEA.  Right. 

1 hour ago, grsupercity said:

In my career I am used to standing all day and eating fast food lol. 

Yeah I spend all day with 7th graders. There is no theme park day that is as painful as that, I don't care how long it is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It takes talent to become worse than Six Flags at customer satisfaction and general operations, but Cedar Point has blown the doors off that conversation this year.

Edit: They put a post up on Twitter and shut off replies 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

How it started:

"When I look at where we are, based on the calendar we've put out there, we've got sufficient labor to meet that demand...

... I think we have what we need to provide the high-quality guest experience our guests have come to expect."

- Investor Call 2 Weeks Ago

How it's going:

Untitled.jpg.8e643e9d0bf41eb045c63c855ae9b5f5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2