TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Gov Dewine just lifted a lot of the attendance restrictions for outdoor events, including allowing festivals again.  Now the guidance is just follow common sense and wear a mask...  so we're doomed.

Anywho, this means the parks should not have to worry about attendance restrictions this summer unless cases trend in a way that forces the restrictions to return.

^For sure, and in my opinion they should.  Because we are at a point now that we can trust humans to do the right thing and use common sense... 

But, the key take away is they will not be forced to at the time being as long as they are following more "universal" guidelines like mask usage enforcement, social distancing, etc.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:56 AM, tndank said:

I think crowds will be awful all year.  Hate to say it, but moving it to 2022 is probably for the best all around. 

Agreed on waiting for 2022. Wait an extra year and add a couple days onto the trip. Visit local this year.

If you don't have plans for vaccination, I would absolutely not consider traveling. It's only a matter of time before you're going to be required to show proof, at the very least for travel.

It's just not a good year to risk anything with long term plans, in my opinion. Things could go south in a matter of a few days. Also, if I were going to travel all that way, I wouldn't want a neutered experience.

Good luck with your decision.

20 hours ago, Alex Sutcliff said:

Okay I could swap out dorney for knoebals.

Yes. That's like saying, "I could swap out white bread for ice cream." 

Carrie Boldman Named Vice President & General Manager at Cedar Point

"SANDUSKY, Ohio (April 6, 2021) – Cedar Point today announced that Carrie Boldman has been named vice president and general manager of the park. She succeeds Jason McClure, who has been promoted to senior vice president, park operations, at Cedar Point’s parent company, Cedar Fair Entertainment Company.

Boldman previously served as Cedar Point’s vice president of merchandise and games, and brings 25 years of experience in strategic development, brand management and merchandising expertise to her new role. She spent 16 years as director of product development and design for Disney Parks and Resorts. She then spent two years as director of marketing and sales for The Chef’s Garden, a family-owned sustainable farm in Huron, Ohio, before joining the Cedar Fair team in 2013. Boldman will also make history as the first female general manager of the park in its 150 years of operation.

“Carrie is a talented leader with an impressive track record in product development and design,” said Tim Fisher, chief operating officer of Cedar Fair. “We are confident that her skills and experience will help build on Cedar Point’s rich legacy of creating memorable experiences for the millions of guests who visit the park each year.”   

“As a Huron native who grew up coming to Cedar Point and spent six years working here as a seasonal associate, I am tremendously proud to have the opportunity lead this talented team,” said Boldman, whose two daughters also work at the park. “The park has been a vital part of the Sandusky community for 150 years, and I look forward to forging even stronger connections with our guests through fun, immersive experiences.”    

In McClure’s new role, he will oversee operations at the following Cedar Fair parks: Canada’s Wonderland in Toronto; Cedar Point; Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon, Michigan; Dorney Park in Allentown, Pennsylvania; Kings Island near Cincinnati; and Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. He had served as vice president and general manager at Cedar Point since 2014, with responsibility for the day-to-day operations and financial performance of the 150-year-old amusement park. He began his Cedar Fair career in 2001 in the finance division of Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina. McClure earned his way up to vice president of finance and, in 2005, transitioned to the same role at Kings Island. In 2008, he became vice president and general manager of Dorney Park before taking the top role at Cedar Point. 

“Jason brings significant operations and finance experience to this senior leadership role, as well as a deep passion for delivering on our commitment to provide guests with fun, dynamic and memorable experiences they can share with their family and friends,” Fisher said.

“I am thrilled to take on this new role, leading several Cedar Fair parks in their mission to deliver great experiences and memories for our guests and associates,” said McClure. “Cedar Point is in great hands. Carrie is passionate about the park, its associates and their desire to continue the legacy of providing legendary fun, and I look forward to continue working with her and the Cedar Point team.”"

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/media-center/cedar-point-names-new-general-manager

• Like 1

The single best change that CP could possibly make would be to relax their atrocious rain policy. As it stands now, if you are unfortunate enough to visit the park and there is the slightest mist from the heavens, you'll be lucky to ride anything without major operational delays/removal of trains/flat out ride closures.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southpuddle said:

The single best change that CP could possibly make would be to relax their atrocious rain policy. As it stands now, if you are unfortunate enough to visit the park and there is the slightest mist from the heavens, you'll be lucky to ride anything without major operational delays/removal of trains/flat out ride closures.

Wasn’t this policy out in place after both Magnum and Millennium trains slipped through their brake runs, hitting the train in front of them during wet conditions?? 

1 hour ago, DoinItForTheFame said:

Wasn’t this policy out in place after both Magnum and Millennium trains slipped through their brake runs, hitting the train in front of them during wet conditions?? 

I’m not sure what incident you’re referring to with MF, but the Magnum accident happened in 2007 -  after 18 seasons of operating in torrential downpours with no issue. Either the rain was especially wet that day or it was a maintenance issue that was conveniently blamed on the rain.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, southpuddle said:

I feel this

20190806_134349.jpg

20190806_134527.jpg

8 hours ago, southpuddle said:

Either the rain was especially wet that day or it was a maintenance issue that was conveniently blamed on the rain.

I've always felt that was the case. A ride with those trims still has enough speed to "slip" through brakes because they are wet? Ok.

I recently asked about Traveling to CP from the UK for the first time and after seeking advice I decided the best option was to wait for next year to visit.....

...but I couldn't wait and went ahead and booked a trip for this year instead... Soo.

We are traveling for the first time to CP and will have three days there from the 3rd September. We are interested mostly in the rollercoasters but will sample the other attractions if we have time. I'd like to know the best plan of attack for the time that we have there. Sorry, this must have been asked a million times. Maybe there is a good reference guide for what to do when somewhere but any pointers are appreciated.

• Like 2

Nobody knows the answer to these questions since nobody knows if they'll sell Fastlane or if you'll need to spend hours of your day walking around trying to get boarding passes. The only thing I can tell you is that you should make your reservations for the park itself early since they'll probably hit capacity all of those days since it's a holiday weekend.

43 minutes ago, Alex Sutcliff said:

I recently asked about Traveling to CP from the UK for the first time and after seeking advice I decided the best option was to wait for next year to visit.....

...but I couldn't wait and went ahead and booked a trip for this year instead... Soo.

We are traveling for the first time to CP and will have three days there from the 3rd September. We are interested mostly in the rollercoasters but will sample the other attractions if we have time. I'd like to know the best plan of attack for the time that we have there. Sorry, this must have been asked a million times. Maybe there is a good reference guide for what to do when somewhere but any pointers are appreciated.

You'll prob be fine. 3 days is plenty. I've done everything I've wanted at CP w/o fast lane in 2 days. No real plan of attack/pointers that aren't pretty obvious: I assume you are getting early access? If not......I hope you haven't booked lodging yet/can change it because you will need that. Get to the park early, make sure you are at the gate for early access. Take advantage of it. In the past my group has used each day's early access to do a particular ride (Maverick, TTD) and get it out of the way. Besides that, just be aware it's Cedar Point and this year is kinda whacky... Sept it usually quiet but thats around labor day and again lots is still up in the air. 

So yeah, take advantage of early access, be aware of info (like I think SV is only opening early access on weekends, so keep that in mind) and yeah, that's about it. I think you'll be fine, and just remember its CP...it can get gnarly, expect S V and Maverick to be swamped basically all day . Again assuming there's no Fast Lane I'd prob want to get those ASAP upon early access and unless you're willing to wait may not get more than 2 rides. Enjoy! It can be a lot but there's nothing like the first trip to Cedar Point. And it gets shat on (partly sincere partly bc coaster enthusiasts are the most dour lot of people I've seen given its a hobby about fun lol) but Cedar Point is a great experience. Not the "nicest" and deff not most beautiful park but can't beat its quantity and quality of rides and there are far worse parks that also offer much less, (and likewise while I love a small park enthusiasts do seem to fetishize them, I mean there's a reason CP is expensive and bustling and (place) with like 4 coasters and total 15 rides isn't lol) so just remember to enjoy!!

• Like 1

I mean, others will provide input but I dont think there's any way you can do CP without having the early access... quite easy, just book any of the Cedar Point hotels! They are of course pricier, but yeah unless you're a local IDK anyone who's ever gone and not had it, including myself. There's breakers express which is a few minute drive, but it is cheaper and still grants you early access. On site hotels tend to be a good bit pricier but you are right there. 
In late Aug/early ish Sept Ive generally found the park not too crowded (again excluding S V and Maverick). Though it's been a while since I've been at that time of year, not sure what others feel.