TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Exactly. And even high capacity rides like Millennium Force have rows blocked off, so the other person in your party will be 2 rows away and that pushes back the next party as well.

Hersheypark’s method was just “one party per row”. This makes the process go much faster.

^ YES! I wish the rule was just “one party per row” - maybe make an exception for Valravn. The set in stone blocked seats were adding insult to injury most of the time.

I was also told by a manager when I went earlier this month that the rides close every 30 minutes for cleaning, but I swear it was more like every 15-20 - just enough for each train to MAYBE get three cycles in before the line was standstill for the next 10-15 minutes. Maybe those 10-15 minutes count toward the signal of the next cleaning break But what others have said, don’t go expecting to ride much and try not to get super aggravated by the operations. Take some beer breaks and try to relax.

I also just kept reminding myself that I bought a Platinum pass this year solely because it was good for all of next year too. This year was really just a bonus for me, so whatever I was able to get in was all gravy.

Two Fridays ago, I was able to hit Steel Vengeance at 11, get a Maverick access pass, get a Millennium access pass, get a Dragster access pass, get a Steel Vengeance access pass (one of the last ones), and ride Steel Vengeance two more times with standby in the first hour. I was at Breakers, which allowed me to use the resort gate and be on one of the first Vengeance trains.

The return line for Maverick took us an hour at 12:15 and it only got longer. For us, the wait started at the enclosed part of the queue. Later in the day, I saw the queue spilled into the midway and the return wait time was listed at 2 hours.

Millennium's return line reached 90 minutes by the end of the day so that queue didn't reopen at 7. But on the bright side, they will still let 3 groups wait for the front so that was the shortest wait I've ever had for the front row midday upon reaching the station.

Steel Vengeance's return line was only 20-30 minutes from what I saw.

Gotta love how the webcams are changed during the season. Right now you've got a view of the Marina with Valravn, Raptor, and Blue Streak in the corner as well as a view of just the launch track of TTD with 75% of the Iron Dragon layout and a lot of Rougarou. Interesting choices.

Okay, so from all the feedback we're seeing we changed the plan because this seriously sounds like it sucks.

We're not going for a full day, we'll take a detour on Memorial Day and stop by for a few hours on the way home. Straight to Maverick, then Millennium and if we can get in the stand-by line too then awesome. I don't have the energy to bother with Steel Vengeance. Once we ride both rides we'll leave.

Obviously while waiting for our return times if we can ride Raptor then awesome.

Sound like a reasonable plan?

Labor day* -- yeah, I'm that guy.

For two rides I don't think you'll have any issues. Then again, I haven't visited this year... sooo... good luck! Avoiding Vengeance is probably a good idea all-around given the circumstances.

As you know, holiday Mondays are never really as bad as everyone always thinks they are gonna be.

Enjoy your trip!

Okay, so from all the feedback we're seeing we changed the plan because this seriously sounds like it sucks.

We're not going for a full day, we'll take a detour on Memorial Day and stop by for a few hours on the way home. Straight to Maverick, then Millennium and if we can get in the stand-by line too then awesome. I don't have the energy to bother with Steel Vengeance. Once we ride both rides we'll leave.

Obviously while waiting for our return times if we can ride Raptor then awesome.

Sound like a reasonable plan?

I'd save the money for FL+ at KI, since their FL+ seems to kick ass way more than others, for some reason.

Thanks for the tips guys! We didn't even get to ride Raptor and the park was a sh*tshow but with the right expectations we had a great time since we didn't really rush around or try all that hard to ride much. We got on Vengeance, Maverick and we got 3 rides on Millennium Force, 2 in the front and any day where I can ride Millennium Force 3 times is a f*cking great day.

Edited by coasterbill

any day where I can ride Millennium Force 3 times is a f*cking great day.

Agreed!!!!

We spent 2 days at the park and had a great time, still didn't ride everything because of the weather, but for what it was worth, we had a great visit with the proper expectations in place and still getting to ride Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance, Top Thrill Dragster and Maverick . Cedar Point, by far, had the best social distancing and enforcement of masks, and people generally distancing themselves. My best visits this year with compliance and just feeling safe at the parks was at Cedar Point and Universal Orlando (WDW was still closed when I went to Orlando).

Anyone hoping that the influx of employees from now-closed Cedar Fair parks would help them staff this place can let that dream die. This weekend is worse than last... so much worse.

Ride Availability Sept. 12 & 13, 2020

The following attractions will not operate (subject to change): Antique Cars, SlingShot, Frontier Fling, Forbidden Frontier on Adventure Island, Snake River Falls, Thunder Canyon, Power Tower, Corkscrew, Rougarou, WindSeeker, Wicked Twister, Sky Ride, Wave Swinger. Monster will not operate Sunday.

Link

Personally I would treat every ride that appears on this list as closed for the season and I would expect the list to grow every week until this season is finally put out of it's misery.

Covid is making this worse, but honestly this park has a major staffing problem and it seems to get perpetually worse every year. I know they're trying their best and it's easy for someone to get on a forum and be like "They need to magically find more people!" but seriously... they have to do something.

Instead though they'll be like "Hey, you know what would be a great idea? A boat ride where we have to have a live person spieling on every boat! I can't wait for that to go to Memorial Day to Labor Day only ops forever after season one.

Edited by coasterbill

For sure it's worse this year, with nearby colleges sending students home around March and no international employees.

I might be a little better next year but this year they had a much smaller pool to pull from. I thought more would of been closed when I went.

Is that list much longer than the normal Friday and Sunday halloweekends list over the past few years?

I figured boat ride would run Memorial Day to Labor Day just like Forbidden Frontier.

Is that list much longer than the normal Friday and Sunday halloweekends list over the past few years?

Friday, no but Sunday... absolutely and it's going to keep getting worse for 2 months.

This season is undoubtedly worse than any other but it's still a huge problem every year. While I'm not at all qualified to solve this problem it's hard not to think some of it is of their own making. Every ride that is open seems to have a needlessly massive crew and while I hate to praise this company ever I couldn't help but think "If this park were a Six Flags park everything would be open right now".

They had tons of rides closed for staffing on Saturday and Lake Erie Eagles had a 2 person crew and Iron Dragon has a greeter (some rides had 2 greeters). Like... what???

Edited by coasterbill

So I’ve been thinking. We know masks help and we know distancing helps too, as water droplets from your nose and mouth are what spreads the virus and they don’t travel more than 6 feet.

But if you’re on a roller coaster or any moving object really, you’re technically traveling through the breath of everyone who’s in front of you which completely cancels out the need to be six feet apart. The only way riders won’t be exposed to other riders water droplets is if only ONE group rode per train. Obviously, this isn’t feasible. But if the masks work and cases aren’t spreading from amusement parks, I wonder if they can just load ride units at full capacity anyway as long as everyone wears their mask.