TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Same here. And I also hit up some reddit and Facebook people that were unhappy CP wouldn't refund their tickets. I was happy to help them out.

And after using them for a weekend, I planned another trip 2 weeks later. I'm 8 hrs away.

Just to echo what's already been said, I also had FL+ while at the park yesterday, and it's definitely worth it for anyone that can snag a legit pass. Everything is walk-on with it. Surprisingly, I also didn't see a single breakdown all day yesterday either. As far as I know, TTD, SV, MF, Maverick, etc., all ran consistently all day long. By far the best day I've had at the park in years, pandemic or not.

With my 1000th post, I do declare that my initial assessment of Steel Vengeance from a month ago was faulty. I think I got stapled on my back-row ride then, because on this trip I've gotten two back-row rides with some space between me and the lap bar and holy shit, this thing is awesome! Felt like I was out of my seat for half the ride. That said, and after some not-3-years-ago rides on the rest, my new CP existant-ride rankings are as follows (all changes noted in bold):

1. Maverick (back)

2. Steel Vengeance (back)

3. Millennium Force (front)

4. Raptor (back)

5. Top Thrill Dragster (front)

6. Gatekeeper (back)

7. Iron Dragon (back)

{substantial drop)

8. Rougarou (back)

9. Magnum XL-200 (front or any non-wheel seat)

10. Gemini (any non-wheel seat)

11. Valravn (front)

12. Cedar Creek Mine Ride (any non-wheel seat)

13. Wicked Twister (back)

{substantial drop}

14. Corkscrew (die in a fire)

15. Blue Streak (di in a fire)

Not ranked: Kiddie Coasters since they're kiddie coasters and Pipe Scream because its not a coaster, and defunct coasters.

My complete report from this trip is forthcoming.

Edited by Mike240SX

I wasn't going to post about it, for a couple of reasons, but since the discussion is taking place... I went to the park Friday 7/31. I took the chance and bought fastlane + entry tickets for me and a friend from ebay. I chose a seller with very good ratings and that had a couple reviews at least saying that the tickets worked. We both have platinum passes anyway, so if it didnt work, we were just out the money, but we were doing basically a 1 day from St. Louis and wanted it to be as "worth the trip" as possible.

The tickets worked flawlessly and we were actually riding rides from about 1 to 7 and in that time we got on:

I was happy with that "production" over the course of 6 hours. Happy enough that I want to do it again and didn't post anything because I didn't want people buying up the rest of the tickets "my guy" has available.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Not only did you buy FL from an unauthorized reseller, you were so proud of your success that you didn't want to draw attention to it for fear that others might grab them all before you could get more? Wow … that's some pretty flexible ethics there.

Just for the record, the park itself does NOT condone selling of tickets or FastLane on the internet. See below:

mo4m4bz.jpg

You understand correctly. Flexible ethics lol. I have no clue how many combo tickets this guy bought for the specific purpose of reselling but yeah, I thought I would like to take friends back for the experience. And if the park was selling fast lanes for 150 I'd be more than happy to pay them for it.

I read that the park doesn’t start handing out the access passes until noon. So is that when those coasters open or can you get on them before noon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first passes handed out are for 12-1. The first hour is open to standby riders. Your best bet is to get one for SV and Maverick right off the bat and then get MF or TTD, whichever one you get 4th you should also ride standby so you get 2 rides. Switch up the order as you see fit but SV usually runs out first.

^ I believe it is like Kings Island. During my visit a few weeks ago, the last time they were giving out for Millie was 6-7. Steel Vengeance was closed most of the day when I visited, but they did get it open shortly after 7. By the time I reached the entrance (around 7:20), they had closed off the line, but I showed them the receipt for my locker and they let me in as the very last rider in the standby line.

We were told by a couple employees that if you miss your return time during the day, you’ll be let in with your expired access pass after 7:00, but be warned that they will close the line down earlier than 8:00 if it’s long to try to send the last train right at closing.

You understand correctly. Flexible ethics lol. I have no clue how many combo tickets this guy bought for the specific purpose of reselling but yeah, I thought I would like to take friends back for the experience. And if the park was selling fast lanes for 150 I'd be more than happy to pay them for it.

God damnit. Don't call attention to the internet ethics police.

Sounds like too much trouble and not worth it.

It's really not. I had great success using the following system each day both during my July trip and the one I just got back from:

1. Be there for gate opening, 10:00. This requires arrival at the park at 9:30-9:45 to allow time to go through the temperature screening.

2. Casually stroll back to Steel Vengeance. Even without running, you should be within the first 50 people in line for an Access Pass (hereafter referred to as AP). This Sunday and Monday I was in the 6th group and 1st group respectively, and believe me I was definitely strolling, and stopped for a bathroom break each day.

3. At 11:00 (or slightly before, as I noticed), collect your SV AP...it will definitely be for the noon-1:00 timeslot.

4. Casually stroll to Millennium Force.

5. By the time you arrive, the line should be shorter than it was at 11:00. When you get to the front, show them your Noon SV AP and they should give you a 1:00-2:00 AP for Millennium.

From here, it depends whether your visiting on a Saturday or Sunday/weekday.

If it's a Sunday or weekday,

6A. Loop around to Dragster, and show them your two previously acquired APs to get one for 2:00-3:00.

7A. Make you way back up to Maverick, and show them your three previously acquired APs to get one for 3:00-4:00.

8A. By this time, it should be around 11:45, and you're right back up near SV to get in line for the Noon AP group.

9A. From there, go about your day as you see fit.

If it's a Saturday:

6B. Decide which is more important to you, Maverick or Dragster, and go there and get a pass, again showing your previously acquired passes.

7B. Try to go to the other one and get a pass. Note that they may be all out, in which case you'll need to carefully plan the rest of your day to be back in the area of that ride around 2:45 (when the lines start forming for the 3:30 distribution).

Using that system, you're guaranteed a ride on each AP-coaster per day. It works, and really isn't that much of a hassle at all. Depending on other lines, you can try to squeeze some other rides in between your pass times, or just focus on being there at the time for the pass and then do other stuff at the park afterwards.

Note that on this past Sunday, Dragster did not have enough of a crowd at some points to require AP use - they were still handing them out, but at both 11:00 and around 1:00 they were not requiring passes to get in line.

EDIT: I see now that you're the guy who but doesn't believe a trip to Kennywood is worth it because Steel Curtain isn't operating, and have made similar other "debbie downer" posts, so there probably isn't any changing your mind.

Edited by Mike240SX

I know this is the Cedar Point thread, but I was at Kings Island for the past 5 days and they never used the access pass for Orion at all. Just wanted to make that clear.

I was at KI both Friday and Saturday and can vouch for that. That said, CP is still pretty strict about it for the big 3, and less so for Dragster.

Sounds like too much trouble and not worth it.

It's really not. I had great success using the following system each day both during my July trip and the one I just got back from:

1. Be there for gate opening, 10:00. This requires arrival at the park at 9:30-9:45 to allow time to go through the temperature screening.

2. Casually stroll back to Steel Vengeance. Even without running, you should be within the first 50 people in line for an Access Pass (hereafter referred to as AP). This Sunday and Monday I was in the 6th group and 1st group respectively, and believe me I was definitely strolling, and stopped for a bathroom break each day.

3. At 11:00 (or slightly before, as I noticed), collect your SV AP...it will definitely be for the noon-1:00 timeslot.

4. Casually stroll to Millennium Force.

5. By the time you arrive, the line should be shorter than it was at 11:00. When you get to the front, show them your Noon SV AP and they should give you a 1:00-2:00 AP for Millennium.

From here, it depends whether your visiting on a Saturday or Sunday/weekday.

If it's a Sunday or weekday,

6A. Loop around to Dragster, and show them your two previously acquired APs to get one for 2:00-3:00.

7A. Make you way back up to Maverick, and show them your three previously acquired APs to get one for 3:00-4:00.

8A. By this time, it should be around 11:45, and you're right back up near SV to get in line for the Noon AP group.

9A. From there, go about your day as you see fit.

If it's a Saturday:

6B. Decide which is more important to you, Maverick or Dragster, and go there and get a pass, again showing your previously acquired passes.

7B. Try to go to the other one and get a pass. Note that they may be all out, in which case you'll need to carefully plan the rest of your day to be back in the area of that ride around 2:45 (when the lines start forming for the 3:30 distribution).

Using that system, you're guaranteed a ride on each AP-coaster per day. It works, and really isn't that much of a hassle at all. Depending on other lines, you can try to squeeze some other rides in between your pass times, or just focus on being there at the time for the pass and then do other stuff at the park afterwards.

Note that on this past Sunday, Dragster did not have enough of a crowd at some points to require AP use - they were still handing them out, but at both 11:00 and around 1:00 they were not requiring passes to get in line.

EDIT: I see now that you're the guy who but doesn't believe a trip to Kennywood is worth it because Steel Curtain isn't operating, and have made similar other "debbie downer" posts, so there probably isn't any changing your mind.

Just curious, would it make sense to line up at 10 to instead be the first riders of the day for Steel Vengeance when it opens at 11 rather than queue up for the access pass? I figure I could grab a Steel Vengeance pass afterwards or if they run out that quickly, get one at 3:30.

Only if you run and get on the first train or three. I found that by leisurely strolling back there, by the time I got there, there was already 30-50 people in the standby line (basically everyone that will run past you after the gate opens). Remember with the reduced capacity there's only a maximum of 12 people per train, and that's if there's no odd-number groups (say 1 or 3 people). The 20-30 minute delay of getting on the ride could negatively affect your ability to get the other passes in the initial drop, which was always my goal.

If you do run and get on SV in the first few trains from the initial standby queue, you probaly won't get an AP for it - the line will still be back near the split to go left to Gemini or right to CCMR. If you take 25 minutes to get on and off the ride, you definitely won't get an access pass for it. Don't forget taking time to grab your stuff out of a locker afterwards, fighting the crowds in the locker area.

I personally never wanted to have to rely on the second batch, but your mileage may vary. There are approximately 25% less passes given out in the second wave (4-5, 5-6, and 6-7, as opposed to the morning batch of 12-1, 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4). Also remember that if you do manage to grab a pass or two for the other 3 AP rides in the first drop, by the time you get them it will probably be a 2-3 and/or 3-4, right at the time you need to be lining up for the second drop.

If you don't care about two of the other 4 rides, or are willing to interrupt your day for the second batch of passes, sure, but for me I'd rather not risk it. It just made more sense to me to grab all four passes early, get on those rides, and then take care of the rest of the park without having to worry about being in the right place at the right time.

^ Thanks, that makes sense. Since I'm staying at Breakers, I'd have the advantage of the hotel gate to try and beat the crowd back there.

I figured Steel Vengeance's access passes would run out quickly, but I didn't realize they'd be gone in 20-25 minutes.

Didn't even factor in the Resort Gate. Yeah, if you can be at the head of that line and make a brisk jog, that system might work for you....ride SV, then go get the APs for the other rides.

Didn't even factor in the Resort Gate. Yeah, if you can be at the head of that line and make a brisk jog, that system might work for you....ride SV, then go get the APs for the other rides.

Thanks! It seems like the biggest risk with this approach is if Steel Vengeance doesn't open with the park.

This past Saturday I was roughly 4th in line for TTD passes at 11am. After collecting those, we walked around the back and got SV passes without an issue. Stood in line and got Maverick (they still had fairly decent stacks for a couple time slots). Then, we walked down to MF and got passes there without any issue. Later in the day we handed those passes out to randoms and helped some people out.

Getting them wasn't really a problem or struggle if you are in the park at 10.

Could have gotten straight into TTD dragster instead of passes but figured we'd collect all passes just in case before we started riding.