TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Enthusiasts should be happy if a park is still in existence next year and not bummed that they aren’t adding a new coaster. Also, it’s Cedar Point - they could not add a new coaster for a decade and probably still have the most incredibly stacked coaster lineup in the world.

This park received Gatekeeper, Valravn, and Steel Vengeance all within the last seven years. Even if there wasn't a global pandemic simultaneously ravaging public health and the economy - chill ya biscuits.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think that Top Thrill Dragster and WindSeeker should be relocated to other Cedar Fair properties or dismantled at some point if they can't function in high winds since Cedar Point will have a lot of windy days every season solely based on its location. Also, I didn't realize Valravn had small storage bins in the station.

So we are at CP right now. SV was down all day. Something apparently happened during testing but no one was spilling the beans. They shut it down and cleared the line before 11 and never handed out the ride passes.

We had no trouble getting an early standby ride on Maverick and then passes for Mav,MF,and TTD. TTD did go down for a short time but they then did not hand out the afternoon passes and instead honored all the morning passes at any time.

Gemini was indeed racing and hand slapping was in full force.

Rougarou and WT were operational, in fact I believe all the coaster were running other than SV. A few long lines due to reduced capacity but definitely quieter than a normal July day.

Parking lot at the Breakers half full. They did open the resort gate by ten so you could get in line for one of the big 4 and get a standby ride first thing. You will get a big advantage of you can swing staying on property with the early resort gate opening. Also if you stay on property they will do your health and temp check when you check in and give you a wristband, so no wasting time getting in the resort gate. And I agree with Zach that the Breakers is worth it. It's not about the room, it's about location and amenities.

Be fairly warned, they shut the park down immediately at 8, not just rides but stores and restaurants too.

I did spend some time sleuthing and chatting up some employees. Apparently the rumor going around is that there will be Halloweekends but that they might do it earlier. Not sure what advantage that would provide.....take that with a grain of salt. I was also told that the Carpet ds employees were going home in a couple weeks. I'm assuming about the time they go to weekends only.

Overall it was a lot more normal than I thought but definitely a diminished experience. Missed the flower beds and living wall. But of course operations are more important.

No indication whatsoever that they plan on selling g fastpasses.

We'll be here tomorrow as well and will post more soon as I can.

I was at the park today as well - they actually did get Steel Vengeance open shortly after 7 pm. By the time I had reached the entrance (around 7:20), they had it closed off, but I showed them the receipt for my locker and they were happy to let me enter as the very last rider in the standby line. Major kudos to the staff - that was really nice of them

Good luck tomorrow - hopefully everything stays open!

Good to know, we were up by GK during the last hour so obviously missed it, bit gives us hope that it will be up tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that we did see many employees cleaning rides and sanitizing queue railings.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think that Top Thrill Dragster and WindSeeker should be relocated to other Cedar Fair properties or dismantled at some point if they can't function in high winds since Cedar Point will have a lot of windy days every season solely based on its location. Also, I didn't realize Valravn had small storage bins in the station.

Top Thrill Dragster will go nowhere untils it's broken beyond reasonable thinking. It may stay even longer.

Windseeker will be crappy in winds anywhere outside any bulding.

I was also told that the Carpet ds employees were going home in a couple weeks. I'm assuming about the time they go to weekends only.

You made me look up the "living wall," and that's pretty cool! I'll have to check it out if it comes back in the future.

You bet Bert!

The boy was able to get in 5 rides on SV between 11-12 when they then would only accept access passes. The other 3 coasters looked about the same. So if you get to the gate (especially the resort gate) early, get right in at 10.....you can get at least a few rides in on one of the coasters and then get in line for an access pass.

Take away a Cedar Point staple and send it to Dorney?

Haha they would have to dig a 200+ foot ditch to put Dragster in just to get around Lehigh County's height limit. Fun Fact: That's why Steel Force is built where it is.

Somebody asked for advice on Facebook, and since my 2016 map is now outdated and thankfully another Rodeway Inn/crack house in Sandusky is no longer there, I created an updated "Choice Hotels" map.

Choose wisely.

2df4c4178df51a9e717aa4b0b7033991.jpg

Don't expect a 4 star hotel, or a good breakfast, but it's clean, some rooms are really strange (maybe just the suite?), and it's more then acceptable especially for the price.

Don't forget, imaginary friends and quiet kids stay free!

IMG_20180828_150034.thumb.jpg.0fc4e6a516f6b6e632793b8bd2133290.jpg

Like I said I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion, but when you have a marquee attraction like Top Thrill Dragster (which isn't as unique anymore because of Kingda Ka) and people are traveling multiple hours across a number of states and paying a lot of money to come to Cedar Point for what might be just one day, it looks pretty bad to not open it with high winds as an excuse. This is especially the case considering that there's going to be A LOT of windy days based on the location of the park, and I never witnessed one rollback while I was at the park.

On another note, here are the rides I made it on in order including wait times when I was at the park this past week:

Grabbed Steel Vengeance (12-1) Maverick (1-2) and Millennium Force (12-1) access passes before riding any coasters

Rougarou (less than 10 minutes)

Iron Dragon (less than 10 minutes)

Valravn (20-40 minutes)

Steel Vengeance (50-70 minutes) (included a brief maintenance delay)

Maverick (20-40 minutes)

Cedar Creek Mine Ride (less than 10 minutes)

Millennium Force (30-40 minutes) (got in line after my designated time frame but they didn't check)

Magnum XL-200 (10-20 minutes)

Gemini (10-20 minutes)

Power Tower (20-40 minutes)

Wicked Twister (10-20 minutes)

GateKeeper (20-40 minutes)

Raptor (20-40 minutes)

Every coaster was open while we were there on Thurs, Fri, and Sat morning with the exception of SV on Thurs but that was some sort of maintenance issue. Of the non access pass coasters, Valravn seemed to have the most consistent longer lines.

We actually have plans to go back the first weekend of October for Halloweekends, planned before the extent of the shutdown was realized. Now just waiting to hear if I will need to cancel that or not.

We actually have plans to go back the first weekend of October for Halloweekends, planned before the extent of the shutdown was realized. Now just waiting to hear if I will need to cancel that or not.

What shut down? did i miss something

Also do they not start giving ride passes out till 11?

I mean THE shutdown, we booked the Halloweekends trip before I realized it was going to be more than a few weeks delayed start to the season. Unless you are being sarcastic then, lol, I can't tell.

No they do not start giving out ride passes til 11. You can get in at 10 and on the big 4 there will be two lines, one standby that they will shut down after a certain number are in and one line pass that last until the tickets are given out. And they will only give one line pass per person so no getting in line for the group. Our experience was that you could get in the standby line and get a ride, or sometimes 3-4 rides in, and then get in the pass line to get a pass for later in the day. Also, they do a second pass handout at 3:30 for evening times.