TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That's unfortunate! I was planning on going sometime the week of the 17th when I had off work, but it's no biggie, I can just go that Sunday or the following Friday. I'm still undecided on using the FastLane+ that I'm sitting on, or if it's more worth it to just save it until next year.

We had 2 days of tickets but only used one. We rode everything that was open (no TTD) and the masks were a sufficient nuisance to say we'll save the other day for later this year or next year.

That's unfortunate! I was planning on going sometime the week of the 17th when I had off work, but it's no biggie, I can just go that Sunday or the following Friday. I'm still undecided on using the FastLane+ that I'm sitting on, or if it's more worth it to just save it until next year.

Use it now and buy another one during sales on Black Friday / Prez Day Sale / etc. Fairly unique time where you can marathon SV, Maverick and TTD over and over.

SO since the park is so empty that they are reducing capacity, are they still using the access pass thing? Or have they done away with that too?

I was planning a two day trip where I'd get to the park at like 2:30 and stay til close and then go the next day from like 11-2 the next day. Would that be enough time to hit up the big rides?

If I were a guessing man, I would say another reason to close M-Th starting the last 2 weeks of August has not only to do with lower attendance, but staffing. They are struggling as it is. Any employees they've borrowed from parks that have not yet opened or abroad may need to return home to go back to their normal day jobs, schools, lives, etc. Also, while the event still appears on their event page, I don't think HalloWeekends looks promising, at least not in its usual form. I know there are teasers in the park, and I've seen employees who work the event say, "It's going to be as scary as usual," things change day-to-day. Look at Universal Studios as an example, who had already been constructing their houses, put up lighting/spotlights like normal and were doing auditions and even hired scare actors already, only to cancel both coasts (I had seen that USH had began deconstruction of theirs before the announcement).

SO since the park is so empty that they are reducing capacity, are they still using the access pass thing? Or have they done away with that too?

I was planning a two day trip where I'd get to the park at like 2:30 and stay til close and then go the next day from like 11-2 the next day. Would that be enough time to hit up the big rides?

They are not selling Fast Lane/Fast Lane plus. Only those who had pre-purchased it before the season or have all season Fast Lane are able to utilize it at the moment.

Considering the park closes at 8pm, I don't see getting much done in that time frame if the park is busy with many rides closed. They have been using return tickets for Millennium Force, Steel Vengeance and Maverick, with little hope of getting a second ride on any of those, unless they open for standby later in the day (for those three). They will also close down lines as early as an hour before park closure if the queue reaches a certain capacity, so that the park can close on time and give their team members, many who are quite overworked this season, a break.

Quite interesting, first the park removes the reservation requirement, and in mid August dramatically reduced (3 days a week) operation days. My guess is nobody is going. Not sure how they can make any money with those limitations. Glad I wasn't planning a visit.

The same way they make money during their Halloween event.

I visited Cedar Point today for just a few hours (10:30-3:00) and had a nice time, even if I only got on three different coasters. Since I'm a Cedar Fair passholder this year and next, I figured that I would focus on Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force and not worry about getting on Steel Vengeance or Maverick. I got the MF access pass then rode it without one in the back row. At around 11:45, I walked over to TTD and got a 2-3 pass. I checked on Maverick and SV at 11:50, but access passes were gone, and they weren't letting people in standby. Do a lot of people go to this standby early in the morning?

I rode the train through Boneville (what a neat touch ) and rode Millennium Force again. My two rides were fun but not as awesome as I remembered it being last year. (This was only my second ever CP visit.) I got a ride on Magnum next in the back. Props to the crew for not stacking as much as the other rides in the park even with the requirement of unloading one row at a time!

Following this, I walked over to TTD and was surprised to see an empty queue. I joined the line... and it broke down for a half-hour. This was kind of annoying because my dad wanted to leave by not long after three, and TTD had been down on my visit last year, so I really wanted to ride it for the first time! Luckily, though, the downtime wasn't long, and I soon boarded the back row of the train. Now, I had sort of zoned out in the queue due to my lack of hydration, so I completely forgot to adjust my mask or hold it onto my face during the launch. I was NOT expecting it to be so intense! Wow, it was much better than I thought it would be! My mask flew off and into oblivion. Even when I walked along the launch track, it was nowhere in sight. Luckily, I had an extra in my pocket that I put on as soon as we hit the brakes. I didn't realize what was "off" until the launch was nearly over, but once I did it somewhat hampered my enjoyment of the last (five seconds) of ride time. Anyhow, this makes this ride something to remember! I got a lime Fanta and hobbled out of the park.

The takeaway from this day is to just get as many passes as you can early in the day and not worry about the standby queue (though that's probably not reasonable on a Saturday). From what I saw, those standby queues are longer than when you return with a pass. Safety-wise, CP had many more hand sanitizing stations than KI, (which I visited earlier this week - update coming soon) and I don't remember KI running empty trains after cleanings either. I missed out on lots of the coasters today, but I'm on the fence about a second visit later in the season. I guess I'll just see how things go. If they start selling Fastlane (say, just on August weekdays), I might come back.

So with new protocols and all how have the ops been here? The crowds?

Worth a fast pass?

The lines were quite short at Hershey but ops and most rides negated that. BTW no complaints at all just wanna know so I can plan. Though I plan to go in late Aug/early Sept (schedule dependent) and ideally a weekday so hopefully fast pass won't be needed. But just looking to find out and things change these days...I may end up going during the summer

Sorry I've been crap w following....I hear something about admit tickets for rides. How does it work/the best way to do it?

wow...no FL?

Though they arent limiting people per day and are going soon to weekend only?

CP....I thought ya were here to squeeze our pockets lol

That said thank you... gotta look up some scheduling lookup and perhaps bump the trip up.

wow...no FL?

Kinda, they are honoring ones already sold, so the fast lanes are open and people are using them. But they are not selling more, due to ride capacity, at least at Cedar Point. Other parks like Kings Island are selling fast lane.

Note that KI also started out not selling new Fast Lanes, and then changed course, so there is a possibility that CP may do the same.

Well we're in a rain delay here at CP right now. Crowds are so light they have given up on access passes for the big 4 coasters. But that is not even the biggest surprise.

I don't know why, I don't know how, I really don't know WHY?

Gemini is racing today. (Sorry for the bad pic but I figured I needed proof.)

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200727142918865_COVER.thumb.jpg.3f88a4140949e026daedc55fcc2ee644.jpg

When did the racing become a rarity? Granted my visit was Windseeker's opening year but it was always racing on our visit.

Gemini has always raced for me if I visit during peak season (between late May and early September) in normal years. But I have seen it only running one side if I visit outside that window and crowds are extremely light. I found only one side of Gemini running last year when I visited the week before Memorial Day.

Just wanted to refresh my memory. Which coasters require a locker to store personal belongings? I'm trying to bring stuff that can fit in buttoned up pockets so I'm not constantly paying for lockers but I am aware of the Steel Vengeance situation. Also, is Wicked Twister the only coaster not operating as of now?

That's insane.

Are people slapping hands or are they being super paranoid and lame?

Nitrile gloves are provided before loading and hand sanitizer in the exit. Feel free to slap as much as ya like.

When did the racing become a rarity? Granted my visit was Windseeker's opening year but it was always racing on our visit.

It always races in the summer (in normal years), they just have no staff at this park and racing Gemini is usually one of the first things to get cut so in shoulder season and for Haunt it's rare in a normal year and this year they're just historically short-staffed all the time.