TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I think the way to look at it is type of train wise. So I would say it was an AWESOME standup and now it's just an OK floorless.

My homepark is SFDK and Medusa is a really good floorless but thinking of it the way boldikus mentioned, that's because it IS the top-tier of that park. There are plenty other floorless coasters with similar layouts that just made the Rougarou transformation lack any attraction! The last stand-up that's over 100ft now is Riddlers at SFMM which means you gave up that stat to your competition.

I really think they should have just kept it a stand-up because becoming a floorless, in the end, didn't help its popularity.

We really liked Rougarou. Unless we aren't fans of these old B&M restraints and Sarah got some ear claps by the midcourse it's a good coaster. Nothing in the top quarter, but solid in the middle. Definitely underrated.

I feel like you get that on basically every floorless though, don't you? They're still regarded as being really smooth rides (except Patriot, f*ck Patriot).

I think the way to look at it is type of train wise. So I would say it was an AWESOME standup and now it's just an OK floorless.

Counterpoint: Even the best standup coaster is still a terrible piece of crap compared to a middle-of-the-road floorless coaster. I feel like that's like saying "I had the best Suzuki Forenza on the lot and now I just have an okay Lexus".

Personally, I'll take it.

Edited by coasterbill

Counterpoint: Even the best standup coaster is still a terrible piece of crap compared to a middle-of-the-road floorless coaster. I feel like that's like saying "I had the best Suzuki Forenza on the lot and now I just have an okay Lexus".

I much prefer the average B&M stand-up to the average B&M floorless. The only B&M stand-up I've hated is Apocalypse (haven't ridden it since the conversion). I found a way to ride them comfortably by jamming the OSTR against my shoulders which gets my head above the OSTR, eliminating headbanging.

I have not been able to jump on the gemini bandwagon. I agree with Bill I would take rougatis over it any day

I actually really, really like Gemini when it races and you can slap hands with the other train. It's a blast. Otherwise though... it's whatever.

I found a way to ride them comfortably by jamming the OSTR against my shoulders which gets my head above the OSTR, eliminating headbanging.

The best way to ride a floorless coaster comfortably is to sit down in your seat and ride it however you want.

But seriously yeah I sort of do that too and it makes them less bad but I still don't really like them.

Edited by coasterbill

I'd rather ride Rougaru over Mantis, but it kind of lost what made it more unique within Cedar Point. It is a shame the ride isn't more popular. It's a great looking coaster and the layout is beautiful. I also like its sinister sound that the old school B&M's had. In terms of how Rougaru rides, the best I can say is that I guess it's a decent one-and-done.

God knows I'm a fan of cars and car analogies!

I found a way to ride them comfortably by jamming the OSTR against my shoulders which gets my head above the OSTR, eliminating headbanging.

Assuming you meant stand-ups, that what works for me, also. My best attempt using that method was on Green Lantern, which I slightly enjoyed. However, it was my second ride of the day at SFGAdv, so I was still in a decent mood with no coaster coaster fatigue. We rode it right after Superman when we were getting the ones that made us uncomfortable or sick out of the way. It turned out to be the start of our miserably hot and humid mediocre park day, so I guess it's easier to remember the experience during an optimistic start...

Edited by prozach626

The best way to ride a floorless coaster comfortably is to sit down in your seat and ride it however you want.

But seriously yeah I sort of do that too and it makes them less bad but I still don't really like them.

Whoops that was meant to refer to stand-ups.

I've never had an issue with the floorless coasters.

Somehow Gemini finds a way to deliver not too light, not too strong airtime with those old Arrow trains and lap bars. The headchoppers throughout the ride never fail to make me wince, haha.

I do have a soft spot for that twister section at the end of Rougarou, and the old school pre-drop dip-turn, but I like Gemini more overall.

I think the only B&M Floorless I've been on is Hair Raiser at Ocean Park, and it wasn't smooth on my first trip to Hong Kong many years ago and after my latest ride a few years back, I'd rather ride Mantis for a couple of laps than one on that. Although people who've ridden many more than me tell me Hair Raiser is not the norm for how the floorless coasters usually ride.

Edited by Garet

Somehow Gemini finds a way to deliver not too light, not too strong airtime with those old Arrow trains and lap bars. The headchoppers throughout the ride never fail to make me wince, haha.

I do have a soft spot for that twister section at the end of Rougarou, and the old school pre-drop dip-turn, but I like Gemini more overall.

I know exactly what you're talking about with that snappy element on Rougaru. That's definitely a highlight of the ride.

Gemini is great when it races. Like Bill said, that never happens. Although, I still remember accidentally elbowing the crap out of Emily's face when we first went to the point in 07... That made it not so fun for her. I STILL feel bad about that.

Superman Krypton Coaster (SFFT) is an amazing B&M Floorless - but then again, that was designed as a floorless, not converted from a stand up.

Yeah. .I did NOT care for Rougarou either time I rode it (during two separate trips).

never was there when it was Mantis! (and purposely skipped Shockwave at KD, even tho it had been announced it was going to be leaving before our trip, I just couldn't do it. . and I also skipped the stand up at Carowinds.. . and, I always used to skip Batman at Astroworld). So I guess I too, just don't really care for stand-up coasters.

tho I'll say the best two I ever have been on were Georgia Scorcher (SFOG) - which I skip every time I go anyways - and the stand up at Yomiuriland (which is the same track that's either Stand-up or Sit Down. I found the Stand up version way better, even if the restraints are uncomfortable. not that I would go to that ride in the park, when/if I get to go back to Japan (not when there's the cup o noodles rapids ride in the same park!).

back to CP tho. . . .I love Gemini. . . but really the only coasters I don't really bother with in the park would be: Corkscrew, Rougarou, and Blue Streak (I only rode SV that one time, and I wasn't in 100% great shape, so would have to try it again, before deciding if I love it or it's skippable)

I also like its sinister sound that the old school B&M's had.

It really is super loud and nasty sounding. Almost have to yell while talking to someone on the midway.

Is Apollo's Chariot not considered floorless?

I also like its sinister sound that the old school B&M's had.

It really is super loud and nasty sounding. Almost have to yell while talking to someone on the midway.

Is Apollo's Chariot not considered floorless?

Apollo's Chariot is a hyper coaster. The trains while highly elevated have a floor. Something like Medusa the train has no floor

I think a lot of Rougarou hate comes from the headbanging in the corkscrew. I’ve ridden the ride hundreds of times so I’ve always braced for that section by keeping my head forward. I know not everyone is a fan of having to ride an attraction a certain way to be able to enjoy it, but it significantly improved my rides on it. If you ride in row 7 or 8, seat furthest on the right, you get some fantastic pops of airtime on the s-curves. Rougarou actually has a small fan base and they’ll all tell you to sit there to get the best ride. However, Rougarou will be opening soon and in row 8, the outside seats will be unavailable. In row 7, the inside seats will be unavailable. This is for social distancing.

^I'm a fan of Mantis/Rougarou but I understand why it's not universally loved. It's one of the more intense coasters in the park, and something about the layout still intimidates.

While I am stuck at work in North Carolina, at least I can enjoy the web cams and hope people are having fun on SV and Millennium.

Quite interesting, first the park removes the reservation requirement, and in mid August dramatically reduced (3 days a week) operation days. My guess is nobody is going. Not sure how they can make any money with those limitations. Glad I wasn't planning a visit.

Hm...I felt the park was plenty busy on the three days I was there last week. (July 13-15, Monday-Wednesday)

Edited by Mike240SX