TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^I'm glad they're at least open! I'm more of a vodka drinker myself, unless it's Crown Peach, then f*ck me up. I remember like two years ago spending a while in Chickie's and Pete's during a big typical Lake Erie rain storm and having quite a few of their menu-item mixed drinks.

Also, maybe slightly off-topic/anecdotal but holy crap are car rentals pricy right now. I booked a 5-day rental at $390 out of CLE airport. Looking back at least year I only spent $179 on a 4-day rental. And after doing a few quick quotes online it seems to be that way everywhere, so definitely take that into consideration if considering booking a trip!

This makes me sad since my day in august had super low reservation, but I guess this will really not push too many more people to the park maybe so locals.

As for the retail car thing I had to go to Orlando a few weeks back for a family thing and retail cars seemed super cheap. Not sure what has changed.

As for the retail car thing I had to go to Orlando a few weeks back for a family thing and retail cars seemed super cheap. Not sure what has changed.

Maybe the dealerships are just better in Orlando. Sometimes in Ohio there are just so many dealer prep fees and other bogus fees that dealers like to tack on that you end up paying way above retail for your retail car. It's always good to shop around.

Very nice. How's the weather holding out? I was considering staying an extra day but saw 50+% chance of thunderstorms all day and didn't bother.

We sat down and buckled in on Maverick at 1235 and it opened up. Was down about 15 minutes and started rolling again. Only drizzle since.

Unpopular opinion: Melt was garbage. Fried mac and cheese bites were great but our entrees were blah.

You’re not the only one who thinks Melt sucks. I’ve never been a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to Cedar Point tonight at about 5:30 without a reservation. I visited on Sunday the 12th and had… a pretty awful day. In my 2.5 hours, I managed to ride Raptor, Gatekeeper (twice,) Power Tower, Magnum, Top Thrill Dragster, and Steel Vengeance (twice.) The only ride I waited for was Power Tower and that was about 10 minutes. Steel Vengeance, of all rides, was actually a walk-on. That is super rare. Staffing is getting better as they’re bringing in lots of people from other Cedar Fair parks to fill the gaps. So in the next few weeks, expect to see things go a little more smoothly.

I think it’s a little useless to run 3-trains on their B&M’s because they double stack every time. With Covid, ride hosts must dismiss riders to the exit gates row by row (or two at once, etc) to keep the exits from getting clogged with no social distancing. This doesn’t take long, but it means that dispatches are a little slower, which I understand. Just seems a little silly to be running 3 when there’s zero chance of that train not stacking. Throughput would be the same with 2.

Here’s what’s blowing my mind though. Steel Vengeance is known for having some pretty horrible dispatch times. Last year, the pouches ensured you were probably always going to double stack. The pouches are gone this year and dispatch times are WAY up. Now remember, they’re only loading every other row so there IS less seats to check, but since they’re dismissing riders row by row to the exit and not opening the queue gates right away, this kind of evens it out anyway. I was shocked to see them running all three trains and only stacking one behind the station for a brief moment. They were typically sending a train in the station when the train ahead was entering the block brake or just shortly after. I’ve NEVER seen Steel Vengeance do that with all three trains. Not once. So mad props to the crew for being efficient as hell on one of the worst rides in the park to work.

Didn’t have FastLane. I got to Steel Vengeance at 7:15 and the entrance host said they’re letting people into the line without access passes because there wasn’t a line at all. So I rode twice. Could’ve rode again but I was ready to head out. As I walked by Dragster, it was reopening from downtime. But because the park was closing soon, there weren’t a lot of people around. So it was also a walk on and we had to wait for more riders to show up.

I went to Cedar Point tonight at about 5:30 without a reservation. I visited on Sunday the 12th and had… a pretty awful day.

Uh oh, what happened?

In my 2.5 hours, I managed to ride Raptor, Gatekeeper (twice,) Power Tower, Magnum, Top Thrill Dragster, and Steel Vengeance (twice.)

Oh?

Should we expect greatness from every Cedar Point coaster? Ehhh... I don't hate it, it's just in a weird phase of life where it's not new, it was 'new', it's kinda old but not Vortex old..

This is exactly how I feel about Rougarou.

I wonder how long they will hold onto that coaster. It doesn't even compare to the park's other three B&Ms in terms of ridership. It sits on some nice land that, when combined with the former STR plot, could be some prime real estate for the park. But I also imagine it's relatively easy to maintain (when compared to the park's Intamins), and it's not a terrible ride either. It's just SO easy to ignore when it's literally across the midway from one of the world's greatest and most iconic coasters. It definitely is in an awkward phase of life right now.

Should we expect greatness from every Cedar Point coaster?

I don't think its unreasonable to expect every coaster be great at the self proclaimed Roller Coaster Capital of the World. (Or are we back to Americas Roller Coast? I can't keep up.)

Anyways, they're not far off. Vest restraints on Corkscrew would make a huge difference, a nice full-on retracking of Blue Streak and some new trains, and just rip that god awful mine train out and put in something awesome back there. Rest of the line-up is some variety of great, imo. (I'm partial to impulses, and yeah maybe Rougarou isn't OMFG GREAT but I enjoyed our ride last year and its certainly better than a fu*kin standup.)

Not to mention, perspective is everything. At 85% of parks Rougarou would be considered a top tier coaster, but its in the same park as 3 to 4 of the top ranked coasters the world over. Of course its not going to be seen as "great" when its sandwiched -literally- between Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster.

I feel like Rougarou is a perfectly middle-of-the-road floorless coaster. It’s not going anywhere, there’s nothing wrong with it. I get why people overlook it but it’s also an infinitely better ride than some crap like Corkscrew or maybe even Gemini when it’s not racing (which it won’t be).

Edited by coasterbill