TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Posted in the KI thread too, but provides some input on when exactly the parks might open.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/06/cedar-point-kings-island-water-parks-can-reopen-june-19-says-ohio-gov-mike-dewine.html

However, just because Cedar Point can legally open on June 19 doesn’t mean that it will. According to sources, Kings Island may be able to open first, in as soon as two weeks, with Cedar Point following in late June or early July.

Richard Zimmerman, CEO of Cedar Point parent company Cedar Fair, has said that the parks need two to three weeks to get ready to open.

Two weeks is when they're allowed to open, the 19th; three is June 26th.

Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade a 2020 Carowinds gold pass to a platinum pass online? Can I do it at Cedar Point or will they not know what to do with it and what price I paid originally? Will I be able to make a reservation if I don't have the platinum pass number before reserving?

Does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade a 2020 Carowinds gold pass to a platinum pass online? Can I do it at Cedar Point or will they not know what to do with it and what price I paid originally? Will I be able to make a reservation if I don't have the platinum pass number before reserving?

1. Upgrades Online - No, must be done at the park or possibly over the phone. There is no mechanism to upgrade a pass of one type to another type other than at renewal.

2. Can be done at another park? No idea, but your theory of them not knowing how much was originally paid seems to lead to a sensible "no." Do you still have you receipt from the Carowinds transaction?

3. No one knows how the reservation system will work yet. Judging by what other parks are doing, the best answer anyone can give is "maybe." Technically, they haven't even formally said that there will be a reservation system, but it's very likely.

I wonder if this will pave the way for other parks to stand up to their respective states.

I would say it depends on the discrepancy between what's been cleared to reopen and what hasn't. In Ohio it was getting pretty ridiculous, with restaurants, bars, gyms, pools, etc. already opened back in May, plus the list published yesterday of places that could open June 10th, which excluded theme parks. The Health Director's order would have had parks allowed to open July 1st at the earliest, which was pretty unfair. Also, Indiana and Kentucky are starting to reopen as well, which could have pulled business away from Ohio.

Not sure how things compare in other states but hopefully we start to see a similar trend across the board.

I wonder if this will pave the way for other parks to stand up to their respective states.

I would say it depends on the discrepancy between what's been cleared to reopen and what hasn't.

Basically they should have taken the safe route and keep every type of business closed for the next four years, like Illinois. We're all about no conflicts here...

I would say it depends on the discrepancy between what's been cleared to reopen and what hasn't.

Basically they should have taken the safe route and keep every type of business closed for the next four years, like Illinois. We're all about no conflicts here...

The people on pointbuzz want everything closed indefinitely and will ban anyone supporting the park to reopen. There was even users on there predicting that they would reopen hotels in June before the park opened that got banned because they where not for the lockdowns. Too bad because I know a lot of employees or soon to be employees go to that website to get info and meet up and stuff.

It got pretty extreme on that site! I'm glad to see Theme Park Review is much more opened minded and more focus on the overall discussion of the parks.

I can’t speak to what’s going on over there and I can’t speak for Robb and Elissa but I don’t think anyone’s going to be getting banned from this site for their opinion on this unless they’re completely insane or rude to other members for what they decide to do.

It’s an uncomfortable conversation but everyone has a number of dead people that they consider acceptable at which point they would favor reopening theme parks and all other businesses. Nobody cares that parks in Florida, California, Minneapolis, New Jersey, Texas, Quebec City and elsewhere in North America operate all winter despite the flu killing up to 80,000 Americans in a bad year so the number seems to be somewhere between 80,000 and whatever the death toll from covid (which is worse, calm down keyboard warriors) ends up being and it’s arbitrary and different for everyone. There is also nothing unique about the method of spread either “It’s not about you, you might pass it to someone more vulnerable!”. Yeah, that’s how viruses work.

I don’t think it’s right to attack anyone for their viewpoint on this (as long as it’s realistic, the “zero deaths are acceptable” people are just lying to get likes) because it’s complex and it’s a difficult conversation to have. Plus, shutting down the country until this virus is eradicated will kill some people too. There’s no good choice and bad choice here, it’s between a bad choice and a slightly less bad choice.

At this point I feel like it comes down to personal responsibility. Do whatever you’re comfortable with doing and I’m not going to judge anyone else for their own personal decisions.

Me? I’d go to Cedar Point once they reopen unless it’s just an operational horror show of understaffing and closed rides which... probably.

Edited by coasterbill

I fully believe that the parks are way more low risk than a lot of other stuff that's open right now and as long as precautions are taken that it can be a nice safe diversion that we need from life right now. I wish CP the best and hope they can find a way to open that makes sense for everyone. Like Bill, I really worry about how they can operate a park that big in a seasonal town with no international workers.

I agree that parks are pretty low risk at this point, particularly with all that the CDC is saying about surfaces not being that dangerous. On the other hand I have never been a germaphobe and your personal predilections will probably have a lot more to do with your comfort level than anything anyone else or any government agency is saying.

Without getting into an opinion on the masks, I THINK it will be relatively short lived as long as no big upward trends start to happen. We are now two weeks out from the infamous Ozarks pool party here and nothing bad has happened so...... Not too say that anyone has the right to harass another person if they choose to wear a mask once it becomes optional, they aren't hurting you; and equally annoying is berating the park for requiring them as they open back up. I'm sure most of the parks had to do that to get permission to open, if it's an issue just wait to go until they aren't required anymore.

We do hope to get to CP later in the summer, not sure if we will, not because of anything other than we are running out of time before school starts, in whatever form that might be.

We are going to SDC on 6/17 and my son will be reporting back to work at SFSTL very soon (yes I am sure of that, no I'm not telling you how I know) I will report in those respective threads how operations, masks, crowds etc etc are for each which will hopefully give everyone a little insight as to how this goes. Yes, I know each park is different but still any info will hopefully help people decide what they individually want to do.

I can’t speak to what’s going on over there and I can’t speak for Robb and Elissa but I don’t think anyone’s going to be getting banned from this site for their opinion on this unless they’re completely insane or rude to other members for what they decide to do.

:snipped for brevity:

Just a few things I want to point out here since I've been entirely absent from this thread: We don't actually know how the flu spreads either and have hypotheses only. Same with SARS. This almost certainly spreads the same ways as those. Reproducability of the virus is going to be much lower in America because we live in more spread out households and are much more likely to drive our own cars to work than use subways or buses with recirculating air conditioning. Case study after case study that's been published shows that outdoor transmission is rare and indoor close quarters transmission is overwhelmingly prevalent. The one place where we've seen outdoor transmission to any notable degree was a single football game in Italy and it's believed that it transmitted so much there because people were cheering and singing songs, thus spreading the disease as an aerosol. That's it.

My concern about outdoor attractions like roller coasters, especially if people are wearing masks, is basically nonexistent. There's no real evidence suggesting it could transmit that way. Indoor rides are a different story, and honestly I have no idea how something like Rise of the Resistance cools itself. I'm happy to let others try it out first and see what happens. In the meantime, you'll see breakouts in the next few weeks and I'll bet anyone here money that when they trace, they'll find churches as the primary common denominator. Singing, hugging, shaking hands, passing around objects, elderly people, and recirculating air conditioning in the summer: it's got all the elements. It'll take as much effort to get megachurches with arena seating to close their doors and stop taking money even as their parishoners start to die than it was to open up amusement parks where, by the time the reviews are published, will have nearly no spread related to their operation. Just watch.

I booked myself in at Breakers for a weekend in July: Can't wait. Even if it's an operational disaster, I'll take it over nothing right now.

I hope your trip goes well. Maybe it will turn out better than expected.

I've read a couple trip reports from Universal. As far as that park goes, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I'm assuming other experiences with similar restrictions will be the same, if not worse. I'm really curious how CP's restrictions will stack up against a park that obviously has a lot more resources to make it flow more smoothly, but is still having difficulties.

I'll probably abstain from visiting any parks outside of a few hours at SFSTL, until these drastic measures are reduced. I'm not discouraging the safety precautions like masks, electronic queuing, etc. But, I'm not going to waste my time traveling somewhere for an experience that limits comfort and fun. The strategy defies my purpose of being able to completely cut loose in a stress free environment.

I'm undoubtedly a "glass half empty" person. There's no changing that. Hopefully by the time Halloween events start some of these restrictions will be lifted. It would be depressing to miss out on our KI Haunt Drunkfest two years in a row.

Noticed on the Cedar Point website (and on other Cedar Fair websites) that Fast Lane is currently listed as “Not Available”, this includes one-day and all-season passes. Seems like we could possibly be looking at no Fast Lane for Cedar Fair parks this season. I’d been wondering if that might happen since ride capacities will likely be significantly reduced.

BC54813F-7D1F-4901-9D08-22A6C6B3B0AD.thumb.jpeg.c2e9cd2734c9c98354ef29b3112341ab.jpeg

I think the 80,000 deaths from the flu include Covid for 2019-2020. This is the highest number recorded in the past 40 years.

Here are the numbers for 2018-2019: CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 2012–2013 influenza season1.

The average deaths from the flu is between 12,000 and 62,000. So at 112,000 right now for Covid since February, this is no regular flu! We have only 2 million infected right now so the death rate is running over 5%. Some countries are running over 10% death rates. I'm in the age bracket that has a 13% death rate right now. That is sort of scary.

I'm in Arizona and are new cases have skyrocketed this past week. People refuse to wear face masks going to restaurants, stores, bars, etc. At the rate we are going, they may have to close the state down again.

Jim

Nope, not gonna take the bait.

EDIT: Better judgement tells me my initial reaction of non-response was best.

Edited by Mike240SX

Not to mention that case numbers are not the issue, its hospitalizations that are the problem. Case numbers will always go up, but if none of the new cases need hospitalization then its just a routine illness.

^That's just not possible at the moment, Bill. It's like when someone posts a picture of an ordinary tree on Facebook and the comments inevitably turn into arguments about either COVID or BLM.