TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Are we going to just gloss over the fact that this lunatic got a Mantis fastpass?

That lunatic is my husband! And yes....the lines USED to be insane for Mantis. They may even have been down to one train that day! And the ink NEVER came off! The worst part is you would forget, put your hands in your pockets, and stain your shorts for all eternity!

I went out to visit some American friends on Windseeker's opening year and they surprised me with a trip to Cedar Point. It was the middle of summer vacation (last week of July) and I remember Raptor had a 90-minute wait at opening and some of the rides at the end of the midway including Mantis had a 60-minute wait. Although we did both late afternoon after lunch and they were walk-ons when most of the crowd had moved on.

Speaking of lunch, is there some unspoken rule that coolers are sacred things not to be touched? I was warned multiple times that visiting America would be nothing like Japan/Korea and I couldn't leave anything unattended but everyone seemed to have packed unlocked coolers and reserved tables by placing them on the middle of tables in the picnic area next to the entrance and considering all the warnings I was surprised to see no-one touched or moved them all-day as people would leave the park to go eat and go back in.

No I wouldn't call them "sacred." Just a willing acceptable loss if someone were to take it/mess with it, in the name of being a dick and holding tables/chairs that you aren't using.

I wonder who they are gonna get to work there.

They already have a lot of staff hired, unforunately i don't think the overseas staff will be able to come this year (issues with visa's and cancellations).

With unemployment this high I'm sure they have a big enough pool for staffing.

They still need to get cleared by the State to open. That might come tomorrow but who really knows. Also do you have real proof that they have hired people?

They started hiring for the summer season starting January (and still hiring). Also managers and HR people have been on salary so They can open ASAP. They have people locally and across the nation awaiting a call from their managers to start work.

It's also possible that Cedar Point will open the accommodations and beach front first as that'll be ready before the park is.

Cedar point does most of its hiring in the winter/early spring. Many of this seasons employees were hired before all of the pandemic stuff was in full swing. They’ve been doing some trainings via Zoom the past few weeks.

Source: Used to work there, tons of friends still do.

Thanks!

Stay at home order is no longer in effect in Ohio, most other requirements that where mandated for businesses are voluntarily now. Cedar Point looks to be in a good position to reopen very soon.

Yes, but also no. The restriction on mass gatherings is still in place, until that's lifted there will most likely be no opening date for either park.

Stay at home order is no longer in effect in Ohio, most other requirements that where mandated for businesses are voluntarily now. Cedar Point looks to be in a good position to reopen very soon.

Yes, but also no. The restriction on mass gatherings is still in place, until that's lifted there will most likely be no opening date for either park.

It gives the parks more leeway with the staff, currently from my understanding no one is in the park to continue preparations for the park and no one is getting trained.

This order should hopefully allow Cedar Fair to get the staff in the parks, trained and ready to go.

Training doesn't take that long, less than a weekend honestly. Source: Former ride op here lol.

Bigger concern is the other preseason prep, test cycles, getting rides approved by the state (which laid off all state inspectors during the pandemic). There is more to it than just learning to operate a ride, deep fryer or POS system.

I know this is a month old but to me, no real training or prep will be going on till they have an opening date.

https://ir.cedarfair.com/news/news-details/2020/Cedar-Fair-Outlines-Measures-Taken-in-Response-to-COVID-19/default.aspx

Restrictions have been lifted significantly and other similar companies (Kalahari,Holiday World, Six Flags) are now preparing to reopen. They can now get the staff in the park and get it prepared for reopening.

I can foresee a lot of workers getting called this week and an opening scheduled around early/mid June with accomodations and beach access opening before hand.

They stay at home order has been changed so some rules guidelines still in place. They still need to get approval from the state before they can open. They have not publicly been given permission yet. The earliest, if that was given today, would be around the 4th of July.

Kalahari in Ohio I think is just opening the hotel and not the water park again still do not have permission from the state to open.

I will go read the Six flag pages to see if any open dates have come out or if it's just them saying you will have to make a reservation when the park opens.

Also Ohio has a much bigger issue with all the ride inspectors getting laid off.

Some events in Wildwood, NJ, for August and September were cancelled months ago. Some events just take a lot of planning and prep, and it would be simpler to just cancel out of an abundance of caution. I wouldn't read too much into it.