TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That would be a cool spot for a log ride, but sadly rumors have been floating around for years that Cedar Creek Mine Ride will be the next coaster to leave Cedar point also do not see them building one with the disasters that were shot the rapids.

If they do something in that spot they would build some kind of new roller coaster. just my .02 cents

Shoot the Rapids wasn’t a flume. That was the problem. It was an overly-complex, boring boat ride that happened to have a couple drops that weren’t even in the right order (everyone knows the longest drop should be the last one on a flume). Everything about it was just wrong from the start, and had they just purchased a legit flume from Mack, the damn ride would still be there and half of the Cedar Point thread wouldn’t be everyone screaming for a flume

What gets me though, is the park obviously felt the need for a flume, built what they thought was going to be a flume, demolished it a few years later, and now... they don’t feel the need for a flume anymore? Don’t they, by their own logic, still have a hole in their lineup?

Edited by southpuddle

I wholly agree and I believe we all would. However, I think we are calling it a “flume” because it probably put such a bad taste in CP’s mouth that it may be the last, closest thing to a proper flume we’ll get for a little while ... which brings us back around to why we are lusting for another flume at CP in the first place. STR was such a disappointment to begin.

^ I enjoyed Shoot the Rapids, but it was definitely flawed compared to flumes at other parks. The drops were larger and the ride's strength, but the ride got you absolutely drenched. Usually the flume is the driest water ride, but Shoot the Rapids was worse than Thunder Canyon or Snake River Falls in my opinion. Also, it had a 48" height restriction if I remember correctly? Usually flumes are one of the few "big drop" rides young kids can ride.

What!?!? Cedar Point never totally removes charm and character for the sake of a new attraction.

Which is exactly why I wouldn't want a design like that to happen. I like that bridge/dock area.

I didn't infer that at all from the CF-wide announcements today, which, BTW, were all word-for-word the same except for the bulleted part in the middle and the name at the top.

I didn't infer that at all from the CF-wide announcements today, which, BTW, were all word-for-word the same except for the bulleted part in the middle and the name at the top.

Based on this video I think they plan on operating very soon. [fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

With zoos open in Utah, Six flags preparing for opening, and Cedar Point has managers and HR on salary and staff hired, I think they'll be open in June.

The shows and events being canceled makes sense to me. That takes staffing and training, so why waste that on a partial season? Other than that, the situation seems exactly the same.

There has been a lot of complete shooting from the hip on when parks will open and what they will offer. It reminds me of guessing how many marbles are in a jar.

They've also uploaded a YouTube video with Jason McClure basically reiterating what was said in that online update. I wouldn't say the odds favor either way right now, as no one knows how this is going to play out and everything is taken day by day at this point. They may or may not open this summer, but it sounds like they're hopeful they will and will be ready with a plan if that's the case.

I will guess 42.

Is that random or because it's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything

I took that announcement to mean they are still planning on having some sort of season albeit a somewhat amended/shortened one. Cutting out shows/parades/special events would be one way to save money on labor costs AND satisfy government rules on social distancing.

This past Thursday I took a drive out to Marblehead and on the way back I drove through Sandusky. It was weird to pass by the CP dorms and see no activity when normally it would be bustling.

I will guess 42.

Is that random or because it's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything

I may have read a Douglas Adams book or two.

Some more old pics this time from July 2004

Enjoy!

880161669_OhioJuly2004072.thumb.jpg.698372862e84e23d9f526c5dd1274565.jpg

Some shots from the Space Spiral

1844189052_OhioJuly2004073.thumb.jpg.d5bdd973b8f9818bc52fe2128b6b4fa3.jpg

1697809291_OhioJuly2004074.thumb.jpg.9c236c1e7ffa2dc23022d33536146595.jpg

79483578_OhioJuly2004078.thumb.jpg.9ededea7072a3b8bc748547b0cdef0e2.jpg

94362519_OhioJuly2004100.thumb.jpg.da114c3dcf5fb893331162fbd5dc52e2.jpg

The Wildcat

534290699_OhioJuly2004101.thumb.jpg.7603b289246573c921bc6878e9771483.jpg

When they used to stamp your hand for a "fast pass"

409022695_OhioJuly2004179.thumb.jpg.dd84d079bdc52b54850f87563897eb8b.jpg

500458436_OhioJuly2004180.thumb.jpg.c6d04242945d9bd74748e5509ea39c1d.jpg

1567661516_OhioJuly2004181.thumb.jpg.d8f81ba255146d5bb403a6b2bc258c0d.jpg

WOW. Crowded!

884353849_OhioJuly2004182.thumb.jpg.a67bd566dd20fa90cc533d7f45c7bc9b.jpg

1651216410_OhioJuly2004183.thumb.jpg.f5ad184817f50de9670d559128dfb02b.jpg

624667654_OhioJuly2004184.thumb.jpg.6fd0e16baa813dc04a9b2ad15a85fa9c.jpg

1632256148_OhioJuly2004185.thumb.jpg.452299af2a0a7b9b97f6ca2ae6c43cb3.jpg

1220017210_OhioJuly2004194.thumb.jpg.658cc0161c115c0b3cfd457a319f807b.jpg

The old entrance

Thanks for these, keep them coming! It’s amazing that Cedar Point just keeps improving the atmosphere and lineup year after year after already being so damn good.

Breakers and the new beach front were huge improvements last year over my first visit in 2009 and solidified CP as my favorite park. You just can’t replicate being on a beach with the world’s best collection of roller coasters around you.

EDIT: I take part of that back. They took out my baby, Demon Drop, but at least it still operates at Dorney.

I hate hand stamps, but I'd still take that system every day and twice on Sundays over the premium pay fast lane system.

Regarding the Mine Ride/Log Flume idea, I have a funny anecdote. I actually have an old souvenir park map, I believe it's the one from 1983, where the Mine Ride looks like it's a Log Flume on the Map. Just thought that was a funny error on the map. It did give me the interesting thought, however, of what Mine Ride might be like if it was converted to a Log Flume. Probably wouldn't work without some sort of booster system, but again, it was interesting to think about.

I hate hand stamps, but I'd still take that system every day and twice on Sundays over the premium pay fast lane system.

Regarding the Mine Ride/Log Flume idea, I have a funny anecdote. I actually have an old souvenir park map, I believe it's the one from 1983, where the Mine Ride looks like it's a Log Flume on the Map. Just thought that was a funny error on the map. It did give me the interesting thought, however, of what Mine Ride might be like if it was converted to a Log Flume. Probably wouldn't work without some sort of booster system, but again, it was interesting to think about.

I love the concept of tidying the area up a bit more and adding a themed log flume around Mine Ride. But I'm unsure Cedar Fair/Point has enough confidence in theming to do so.

But they have been upping theming in the past year with Forbidden Island and trying to appeal more towards family's, so who knows!

I also wish when they redid the entrance they woulda made it less bland. It's always been ugly. It needs some sort of fountain or nature element and something that represents the park history/identity and is elegant. The courtyard is more than big enough to accommodate something that's grand.

I like the new entrance - I don't think it's terrible. It's clean and Gatekeeper flying through it really does set the tone well. The plaza as soon as you enter could use a lot of work though - it's an awful hodgepodge of odd themes and old buildings

However, I think that the new one at Carowinds (built in a similar style) is awful and ugly as sin. It has no charm and doesn't fit the park at all (just another reason on my list why I don't like Carowinds much). Because I can't unassociate the style of the entrance with Cedar Point, it just seems forced. I wish they would've left the original.