TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Found some more old Cedar Point pics.

Enjoy!

WOW!!! Thanks for those! It's crazy to see how much the park has changed over time! - I never knew there were so many trees where TTD sits now...

Most of Sandusky already looks like a pandemic hit back in the 80's, I can't imagine how they recover from this if they can't get CP open by July 4th.

IMHO, the movie Tommy Boy sums up what Sandusky would likely be like with no Cedar Point

I wanted to leave the country after Erin Andrews got over 100-million dollars for her bruised dignity from a hotel because they didn't know their peepholes could be reversed by someone carrying tools. Why is a rich person's dignity worth a 100-million?

It was actually like 50 something million and the stalker and the hotels were both found responsible for about half that amount match each but it's not like that stalker will ever be able to pay anywhere near close to the full amount. The hotels were giving her stalker the dates she was staying there as well as a room right next to hers with absolutely no questions asked, that's certainly a bit more than the hotels just not being aware that their peepholes could be reversed.

I do agree that a celeb shouldn't be treated any differently though and that anyone should be able to sue for that much if they had this happen to them.

Great photos! Man, Cedar Point needs a log flume. That one they used to have looks really fun.

Preach!

Been saying this for YEARS!

Especially when Knotts has the BEST log flume in the world! Cedar Point could make their own version of that and put in on Frontier Trail or Frontiertown.

PLEASE! Not everyone wants to get SOAKED and walk around with wet shoes all day!

Looks like Ohio has extended their "Say at Home Order" until May 29th.

Dr. Amy Acton, Director of the Ohio Department of Health, signed the extension late Thursday.

The order now goes through May 29 at 11:59 p.m. The previous order was set to expire on May 1.

Acton said the extension was to “prevent the spread of COVID-19 into the State of Ohio.” Fox 8 News

I'm really looking forward to making our yearly trip in August, but I am curious what changes will be in place.

I'm glad several states like Florida are allowing the theme parks to determine their own reopening dates, for when THOSE parks feel it is safe. All of these parks want to get open, but I'm glad they are being cautious and showing love to their guests.

Also, remember in 2018 when we were all outraged we couldn't see construction pictures of SV? What a simpler time.

I do miss the log flumes. Mill Race was the smaller of the two. It was removed in 1993 to make room for Raptor. White Water landing was much bigger, it was removed in 2005 to make room for Maverick. I love the coasters that replaced them, but I do have great memories with my family on the flumes. Thankfully I have Waldameer not too far away for a flume fix.

It stinks that Shoot the Rapids was such a dud. A good flume ride would have been a welcome addition and lasted for years I feel.

Flume rides at parks always seem to hold a line and they're great for families. I wish CP hadn't over complicated it. It's nice to see that parks like Knotts and BGW have made decisions to focus on preserving their flumes, instead of getting rid of them. BGW put a lot of grading and refurbishment into LeScoot. They could have just as easily added a new attraction.

Especially when Knotts has the BEST log flume in the world! Cedar Point could make their own version of that and put in on Frontier Trail or Frontiertown.

I can’t think of a better addition for CP at this point. (Yes, they still need a dark ride...)

It looks like Mack still makes classic-style log flumes. Something like Timber Mountain Log Ride would be a fantastic family addition and such a crowd pleaser. I’m afraid the failure of Shoot the Rapids might have killed this dream, though.

I wonder how much a modern flume would cost. I just saw that Disneyland’s Splash Mountain cost $75 million in 1987. Holy cow.

I am surprised S&S never took arrows old flumes designs and modernized them

I've heard that S&S's interest in Arrow was mostly for the 4D concept, which makes sense if true as they are the only Arrow designs they've continued. X2 was a marketing success despite the early mechanical issues, and S&S mostly resolved them before building the next two.

Count me in as one who'd like to see a modern flume come to Cedar Point. The problem is I can only see one logical place to put it without removing another ride ... and that's the spot of the last one (it would have to head more towards MF's airtime hills this time as most of the old plot is occupied.)

What's the old STR station even used for anymore, and why is it connected to the queue of the skycoaster? Isn't the old STR Outpost on the Frontier Trail side of the railroad tracks used for the skycoaster?

Alternatively, if Cedar Point doesn't get a classic log flume, I suppose I could see them getting a Mack water coaster (not a Power Splash, but that would technically count as well) if they ever tear out Snake River Falls. It's not as family friendly, but it would add to their coaster count. Just food for thought.

However, I think before we get a new flume at CP (after the failure of STR) we are more likely to get a Mack Splash Battle. It would fall right in line with the target of Forbidden Frontier and would fit nicely somewhere on the island.

I just saw that Disneyland’s Splash Mountain cost $75 million in 1987. Holy cow.

That is Splash Mountain after all ... it wouldn't have to be anywhere near that price tag.

Edited by RollerManic

The only ones I’ve ever seen have always been busy. Even the surrounding areas were always occupied by guests spraying each other with the guns along the side the course. I would have thought this would be the perfect type of ride for Forbidden Frontier and I’ve never heard of them being unpopular.

Somehow I had no idea SFGAM has one.

Edited by RollerManic

Are splash battles still popular? I've only seen a few, but their queues were empty.

SDC's ALWAYS seems to have a line when we visit on hot days. Seems like families LOVE it. It's a great addition to the park, and I know we always have a blast on it, and it's a super hot day we will ride it several times.

Are splash battles still popular? I've only seen a few, but their queues were empty.

The one at Legoland never seemed to have much of a que but the area always felt pretty busy with people interacting with the boats and water cannons and such. Then again not much at Legoland has lines typically anyways.

I think they could build a great one around Cedar Creek Mine Ride. Weave the two together. Add mine buildings, a small mountain/rock work. There is enough space around the ride to have enough elements: high, low, lifts and drops. To save a little space have an elevator lift, like ascending a mine shaft.

It could also interact with the water and the train! Not only would it be a great ride, it would really add to the CCMR experience.

Based on the picture, it could be about a 1,400' long ride. Timber Mountain being only around 1,200'.

Anyone else for a makeover AND addition?

cpflume.jpg.79cd334379c17ebec270b51fe59e8e89.jpg

I mean that would be amazing, and if done properly would create such a cool area. However, I have zero faith that Cedar Point would weave a new ride around an old one and maintain the trees and landscaping that make that area so nice. They’re much more likely to demolish Mine Ride, clearcut every tree that’s within even 100 feet of the new flume, and backfill the lagoon for good measure.

Thanks for those old photos, John!

Definitely a blast from the past seeing Mill Race, Earthquake and White Water Landing.

I remember waiting two hours in line for Avalanche Run during it's opening year and then my sister and her BF waiting two hours for it when they converted it to Disaster Transport. Talk about a ride that was just never a very good fit for the area. While a lot of people don't care for Gatekeeper, it's definitely better (and more aesthetic) than its predecessor.

And yes, I would be all for a new log flume ride back in Frontiertown too!