TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Agreed every park (and business) is taking a risk, but so is every person who visits and where is that line drawn? If a person voluntarily visits a park, gets COVID-19 and ultimately dies, should the park be held responsible? I personally don't believe so, but you know, in our society people will sue. People always sue.

^Agreed every park (and business) is taking a risk, but so is every person who visits and where is that line drawn? If a person voluntarily visits a park, gets COVID-19 and ultimately dies, should the park be held responsible? I personally don't believe so, but you know, in our society people will sue. People always sue.

I completely agree. Eventually, people just need to take individual responsibility and not rely on the park to protect them. Just as it has always been before this virus came around. Frequently wash your hands, don't touch your face, and watch how your actions affect others.

If someone has health issues or is high-risk for the virus, or any virus, then they shouldn't go! If somebody isn't comfortable going for ANY reason, then they shouldn't go! There is ALWAYS a risk with going out in public, and there always will be, and I hope people will eventually assess their individual situations and decide what they should and shouldn't do and not rely on the park to place them in a bubble and protect them.

But like you said, given our sue-happy society, I can see somebody catching the sickness and suing the park for "not doing enough to protect them."

Would you be willing to sign a waiver saying you know the risk and entering at your own risk?

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200416005890/en/Cedar-Fair-Outlines-Measures-Response-COVID-19

That is what I was talking about not hiring. So thinks might have changed over the last few weeks but they did more layoffs then hiring.

Honestly? For me personally I will have to see what is in place before deciding if I am going to visit this season or not. With the season pass extended through Dec 2021 I am in no rush. If I personally feel I am low risk and the park has done it's best to protect it's employees and guests within reason then I may, just to get out and enjoy some sun. But, again I will have to see what the restrictions are, safety measures in place, and if I feel comfortable. It'll be a personal choice lol.

Smaller parks I may feel more comfortable with, Waldameer, Indiana Beach, KK...

But if part of the parks policy to handle this is to have guests sign waivers I would be comfortable doing it personally.

I completely agree. Eventually, people just need to take individual responsibility and not rely on the park to protect them. Just as it has always been before this virus came around. Frequently wash your hands, don't touch your face, and watch how your actions affect others.

If someone has health issues or is high-risk for the virus, or any virus, then they shouldn't go! If somebody isn't comfortable going for ANY reason, then they shouldn't go! There is ALWAYS a risk with going out in public, and there always will be, and I hope people will eventually assess their individual situations and decide what they should and shouldn't do and not rely on the park to place them in a bubble and protect them.

But like you said, given our sue-happy society, I can see somebody catching the sickness and suing the park for "not doing enough to protect them."

Individual responsibility relies on people having the proper information to base their decisions on. The amount of misinformation around Covid, both intentional and unintentional, is such that at this time I would not expect anyone to be equipped to protect themselves.

I do not believe that would hold up in court. You voluntarily chose to enter the park. The only way I think you could bring a successful lawsuit would be to prove the park knowingly withheld information pertaining to your safety. I think most parks are lawyered up enough to cover that.

On the other hand I can totally see them having the waivers as a just in case. Which I personally would have no problem signing. And I have watched droves of parents sign waivers for their children for things like zip lining, white water rafting, virtual reality, ropes courses, snow skiing and tubing, and other number of activities that could cause impending death. If you are willing to plan a trip, the waiver probably won't stop you.

I am sure along with the copious amounts of hand sanitizer stations around the parks; there will be lots of new signage with instructions about social distancing, hand washing, not touching your face, etc etc. Which will serve the same purpose as all those signs in every ride line about not riding with certain health conditions that are complete overkill. They are there way more for protection of the park than for the consumer.

If we get to the point where you can sue a business because you think that you got a contagious illness from someone who was there I'm leaving and moving to Sweden. The flu kills 60,000 Americans every year, if you set that precedent then all businesses would need to close from September to May every year forever.

If we get to the point where you can sue a business because you think that you got a contagious illness from someone who was there I'm leaving and moving to Sweden. The flu kills 60,000 Americans every year, if you set that precedent then all businesses would need to close from September to May every year forever.

Amen.

I wanted to leave the country after Erin Andrews got over 100-million dollars for her bruised dignity from a hotel because they didn't know their peepholes could be reversed by someone carrying tools. Why is a rich person's dignity worth a 100-million?

I agree with you Bill, you cannot sue a business because you leave the house and catch an infectious disease. It was your choice. That would never stand in court, most lawyers will tell you so, and that is why it doesn't happen every year with flu, colds, whatever.

He's simply stating the company isn't liable if you go in and get sick. How is that an issue? Enter at your own risk or stay home. That's all.

Thank you. People hear “flu” now and their heads explode. You don’t even have to compare the epidemics, all you need to do now is state that it exists. It’s crazy...

That was also just one example. If you apply that logic to coronavirus you can apply it to every contagious disease. That’s my point (including the flu, because the vaccine usually only stops around half of the cases, though everyone should still get it).

This virus has (like everything) become politicized now and having any discussion about it seems almost pointless. I just keep most of it to myself.

Edited by coasterbill

Found some more old Cedar Point pics.

Enjoy!

Avalanche86.jpg.a80c0bd649a52b95f75208731dc918aa.jpg

Avalanche Run 1986

BlueStreak89.jpg.7beee30e725457caecf7d9973f0f4c34.jpg

Earthquake86-1.jpg.05eb74b58d0cdc82c88acbeb859c0ce7.jpg

Earthquake Ride 1986

Earthquake86-2.jpg.82b8a32cc65de68ce6e8a9e166c58c47.jpg

Earthquake Ride 1986

FlowerBedMagnum89.jpg.970eb224d1c27081930e457f53d13f37.jpg

Magnum Flower Bed 1989

FlowerBedStamp89.jpg.cda20dc9cd90363f4dcf4060b470f3ae.jpg

ALso 1989

FrontierCarousel84.jpg.b8d2680a41641d7aaead88f35dc72e7c.jpg

Frontier Carousel 1984

IronDragon89.jpg.bd3068e1a673588308a13747807d1423.jpg

MagnumJan89.jpg.686d77e4a1892a069500a2a80ff819aa.jpg

Cedar Point January 1989

MagnumJan892.jpg.459af1aca5e3d93d8169394aac0b9e55.jpg

Magnum under construction January 1989

MagnumJan893.jpg.5613175371732aad39de7827b560317b.jpg

MagnumJan894.jpg.85db7826cb51ee73a82a2c264908c85c.jpg

MillRace86.jpg.5ba81fd4bff933436a32a157d19ee179.jpg

The Mill Race 1986

PreMagnum88.jpg.d7b9911dc7397d115dabbb6128ee2c90.jpg

Sign88.jpg.d6ea0a259367b4f47fd17aeef469e61c.jpg

WWL86.jpg.bc35643fb2eb875accd26073b24e7663.jpg

White Water Landing 1986

bansheebutton.jpg.5f76f22dcbdae3df3881a67cd353a8b7.jpg

corkscrew1986.jpg.8fbbe50780ab1c6efe5cebd61a1dc3eb.jpg

Corkscrew pre Dragster, Magnum, Etc!

millrace1986.jpg.a3e91ab4045c9818776943de36d3d4ed.jpg

Mill Race 1986

westercruise86.jpg.64dab37c2077928c29b0091fcb393a15.jpg

Western Cruise 1986

Thanks for the photos, particularly the Magnum construction ones!

Banshee was going to be the name for Mantis, right? I never knew they got as far as designing a logo for it, and I definitely didn't realise that the King's Island logo design was basically an updated version. What a nice touch.

Thanks for the photos, particularly the Magnum construction ones!

Banshee was going to be the name for Mantis, right? I never knew they got as far as designing a logo for it, and I definitely didn't realise that the King's Island logo design was basically an updated version. What a nice touch.

Cedar Fair actually retooled the logo that was going to be used for Cedar Point's Banshee/Mantis and used it for Dorney Park's Steel Force.