TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Howdy knowledgeable Cedar Fair individuals!

First, I'm a teacher planning our family's first visit to Cedar Point (2 park days), and kings island (1park day). We purchased platinum passes for the trip, and I'm officially at the "time to plan and make reservations" stage. We're out of st. Louis, and I'm hoping to get there as early in the summer as possible (depending on snow days, first week of June??).

I don't want to be annoying, so if there's already a post that's easily accessible, I'll look there... but I know that I trust y'all, and there's literally thousands of posts so I don't know where to search.

Hoping to plan cedar point on weekdays to minimize the crowds, kings island will have to be whatever day fits around CP's schedule.

With platinum, I get the early entry (I think this is the case), so I'm considering NOT staying at Breakers (teacher salary plus family vacation equals pinching of pennies), but MAYBE breakers Express, or another suggested local hotel.

No idea where to stay at kings island.

Advice on early June crowds? Good hotels? Plan of attack in park (does steel vengeance run during early entry)? My daughter is nine, tall enough for EVERYTHING, and a budding enthusiast. Loves Time traveler, outlaw run, and goliath at great America. Seen the POVs of everything at CP, and is stoked. I'm usually hyper planned on these trips, but for some reason I'm flying a little blind on this one.

Sorry to be such a needy lurker, love to read a bunch on these forums, but often have little to contribute. I reached out once regarding getting a platinum pass, and loved/ respected the heck out of that input (and put that advice to good use).

Thanks!

You're on the right path with Platinum Passes. I would not target going the first week of June or before, since they may still be experiencing their typical early-season staffing issues.

My taste in hotels varies from most...when I'm on a coaster trip, I'm just looking for a place to sleep after the park and don't need anything fancy...just a bed with a room that locks and doesn't reek, so my recommendations will reflect that.

When I last visited CP in 2017, I stayed at the Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky, about a 5 minute drive from the park. Some here will tell you its a shithole but I did not have that experience, and when I stayed then the pool was open super-late, allowing you to take a dip to relax your muscles after the park. Everyone raves about Breakers but I just can't justify spending $300+ a night for a hotel when there's decent enough places 5-10 minutes away for under $100 a night.

As for Kings Island hotels, I stayed at the Super 8 Mason during my last trip there (October 2019) and in 2017. It's not fancy, but it is cheap and is almost across the street from the park. The pool here was also open super late.

Another theory that I employed to some success in my 2008 Ohio Coaster Trip was staying mid-way between the Cedar Point and Kings Island. Yes, you have a ~2 hour drive to and from each day, but it allows you some flexibility to account for the weather, since being so far away the chances of it being pouring in both locations at the same time is extremely slim. I stayed in Marion on that trip, which is an hour 40 minutes from CP and 2 hours 15 minutes from KI. We did two days at CP, split by a day a KI because it was supposed to pour the second day at CP. It does suck driving that far after a day at a park but it gives you options.

Crowds at CP mid-week should be manageable no matter when you go. With two full days, you probably won't need any particular plan of attack, but hitting SV early is always recommended. I'd also try to get on Dragster as soon as you can, since it can be finicky. If you can, budget for Fast Lane+, and you'll be guaranteed a great time so long as the weather works in your favor. I'd even skimp on the hotel to budget for it. Remember, with Platinum Passes you can get FL+ for the regular FL price, but only when purchased at the park.

Kings Island should also be manageable any day except Saturday. If you can possibly swing it, and you've never been there before, I'd try to add a second day, even partial. Night rides on Beast are mandatory, and Mystic Timbers also gives a decent night ride, and Orion is poised to offer some nice ones as well and with how late it'll be getting dark it'll be impossible to swing all three in one night. If you planned on doing most of what the waterpark has to offer, you'd need a second day for that anyway.

Howdy knowledgeable Cedar Fair individuals!

First, I'm a teacher planning our family's first visit to Cedar Point (2 park days), and kings island (1park day). We purchased platinum passes for the trip, and I'm officially at the "time to plan and make reservations" stage. We're out of st. Louis, and I'm hoping to get there as early in the summer as possible (depending on snow days, first week of June??).

I don't want to be annoying, so if there's already a post that's easily accessible, I'll look there... but I know that I trust y'all, and there's literally thousands of posts so I don't know where to search.

Hoping to plan cedar point on weekdays to minimize the crowds, kings island will have to be whatever day fits around CP's schedule.

With platinum, I get the early entry (I think this is the case), so I'm considering NOT staying at Breakers (teacher salary plus family vacation equals pinching of pennies), but MAYBE breakers Express, or another suggested local hotel.

No idea where to stay at kings island.

Advice on early June crowds? Good hotels? Plan of attack in park (does steel vengeance run during early entry)? My daughter is nine, tall enough for EVERYTHING, and a budding enthusiast. Loves Time traveler, outlaw run, and goliath at great America. Seen the POVs of everything at CP, and is stoked. I'm usually hyper planned on these trips, but for some reason I'm flying a little blind on this one.

Sorry to be such a needy lurker, love to read a bunch on these forums, but often have little to contribute. I reached out once regarding getting a platinum pass, and loved/ respected the heck out of that input (and put that advice to good use).

Thanks!

If I were you I would stay at the Econo Lodge North. It's located right down the street from breakers express. It's a nice place to stay if you're looking for something clean but not fancy.

Early June on weekdays is usually very manageable, especially if you have early entry. But with this being the 150th celebration and everyone and their brother having those gold passes I'm thinking the crowds will be a lot busier than usual.

But with that said, I visit the park 15-20 times per year and my plan of attack usually gets me on all the major coasters in one day before 5PM without fast lane. I will use early entry and enter through the resort gate located right next to Magnum XL 200. I walk (yes walk, I've never been one of those crazy runners, plus it's against park rules...) to Steel Vengeance, hit that first, then Maverick next. After Maverick I walk down the frontier trail to Millennium Force. Depending on operations I can usually knock those 3 out before early entry is over.

Now this is where some will disagree with me, but after Millennium Force I will hit Valravn, then Top Thrill Dragster. Others will argue to hit Top Thrill Dragster first. But since SV was built, Dragster has only been a 15 minute wait or less before 11:30. Sometimes it has been a complete walk on. So I hit Valravn first while that line is still short and then usually have a short wait for Dragster. One day in particular I was able to ride Dragster like 7 times in a row without anything more than a station wait.

After Dragster, Corkscrew is right next door, hit that, then Magnum, and Gemini. After Gemini I would hit all the other rides on the Gemini midway and in Frontier Town that you want, like Pipe Scream, the new boat ride, the train, Skyhawk, the water rides, and the Mine Ride.

Then walk towards the front of the park down the frontier trail again. Check out the Forbidden Frontier if you want. Or take the train from frontier town to the midway station right by Millennium Force. Then you can ride Rougarou and Iron Dragon. Jump on the sky ride toward the front of the park and hit Raptor then Gatekeeper and Wicked Twister. You would also be right by the Ferris wheel and Windseeker if you have time.

That's usually my plan of attack when I want to ride all the major coasters by 5. But I skip Corkscrew, Mine Ride, Pipe scream, Iron Dragon, and water rides. But that would be my plan of attack if I were you.

Have fun!

EDIT: I didn't see that you are planning on 2 days at Cedar Point. As long as the weather is good and none of the rides are down for any long time you should be fine without a serious plan of attack. I would still start each day the way I planned through Top Thrill Dragster because that gets you on all the best/ major coasters before 11:30 without much of a wait for anything.

I second Econo Lodge North as well, as they usually have rates under $100 per night. It's a pretty basic hotel and doesn't have the most amenities, but if you just need a place to crash for the night, Econo Lodge will work.

Crowds on weekdays in June last year weren't that crowded compared to July and August, usually with less than an hour wait for most major coasters, though there were handful of days that were a lot busier than normal, typically due to school groups. I would budget for Fast Lane Plus just in case you run into a busy weekday, but hopefully you won't need it.

I suggest getting to the park for the beginning of early entry and riding Steel Vengeance and Maverick right away, as they can build a 2+ hour line quickly. Would also recommend hitting Dragster and Valravn early on. Save Raptor and Gatekeeper for later in the day. Aside from those six rides or so, the rest of the park can generally be taken at your leisure.

On another note, the price for Gold Passes has been raised to $129.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/tickets-passes/season-passes

CPGP2020.thumb.JPG.9a894b583993a78f745161f0afa53a8c.JPG

I would double check rates at Cedar Point Express Hotel (Formerly Breakers Express). With Platinum Passes you will receive a discounted rate, which depending on time of year I've seen as low as $70/night. Just something to double check before booking elsewhere. In fact, you will receive a discount at any CF owned hotel, so not knowing your budget you could double check a Breakers stay to see if it's within your budget and worth the added convenience of staying on Point.

Also, to combine with your KI stay, I enjoy the Comfort Suites (Mason) right by the park. I've stayed there about 3x now and the hotel is clean, has an indoor pool, and a basic breakfast. But it's close to the highway so there's a Dunkin, Taco Bell, McDonald's, plus a few other restaurants I can't remember all within walking distance. Heck KI is even within walking distance if you want, but it's about a 3-5 minute drive from the parking lot. My bookings the rates usually have averaged about $70/night on hotels.com.

The Express hotel was one of the cheapest options when I went last year. You can walk to the Pony, McDs and the other fast food joint. It's at the entrance of the causeway to the park. Hotel was fine and had nice pictures of coasters on the wall. I was only in the room from 12:30am to 8:00am for sleep and a shower. But really, just book some refundable rooms and keep checking for better rates as the spring and summer go. Expedia and Travelocity and Orbitz often do mobile only 15% off bookings. I got Express through one of those last year.

Comfort Suites or Comfort Inns are usually good budget hotels with a decent breakfast room. Those near KI are good. They typically do bonus points that can really add up during Spring and summer.

Outside of the Cedar Point resorts, Econo Lodge is definitely the way to go as far as price and convenience. Plus, it’s right across the street from Nachos—the best Mexican restaurant in Sandusky!!

Just a friendly reminder that "Econo Lodge North" is what everyone is talking about. Don't be fooled by the other Econo Lodges in the area.... they may be cheaper, but don't do it.

Here is my handy dandy map from a few years ago. I don't think the one Rodeway Inn exists anymore (meth lab explosion, perhaps?) and I think the place with the waterslides next to the thirsty pony is now a Holiday Inn instead of a Quality Inn.

3d0f4fdf7f52b5b9fd7a5e05b6708443.jpg

When I went to Kings Island I drove about 20-30 mins and stayed in Florence, KY. I was driving to Nashville the next day so that was part of it but something to consider as it may be cheaper than Cincinnati or Mason.

The southern Roadway Inn is now the Wolf Inn Hotel, looks to be independent and not part of a chain. Can't vouch for it now, haven't stayed there since the change. It was outdated as hell, but serviceable.

And the other Roadway Inn is beyond terrible. Waaaay worse than the other was. The staff I met were nice as hell, but it's a straight up dump. If you were being paid to stay there, I'd still go elsewhere.

Just a friendly reminder that "Econo Lodge North" is what everyone is talking about. Don't be fooled by the other Econo Lodges in the area.... they may be cheaper, but don't do it.

Here is my handy dandy map from a few years ago. I don't think the one Rodeway Inn exists anymore (meth lab explosion, perhaps?) and I think the place with the waterslides next to the thirsty pony is now a Holiday Inn instead of a Quality Inn.

The Holiday Inn Express & Suites next to the Thirsty Pony was a new build about 4-5 years ago. I was there in 2017 for Coastermania and it was great! It was right next to my favorite restaurant in Sandusky is it is the closest non-resort hotel to Cedar Point. I was able to use my hotel points to make the stay free.

The Quality Inn was torn down a few years ago. It now appears to be opened as the Cedar Stables Inn & Suites. The website calls the Stables as "a Unique Boutique Experience" and it has prices to match. It is much more expensive then the old Quality Inn.

The Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Cedar Stables Inn & Suites, and Econo Lodge North all appear to have the same owner as the Thirsty Pony. The group is called Cedar Corner Hotel & Entertainment Complex.

https://cedarcorner.com/

MrFurious.......hello from another St Louis teacher! I echo most of the others in that 2 weekdays at CP is your best bet on crowds. Do keep in mind that in June you will hit the Mayflies.......for any in your family with long hair, have them tie it back or up. Brushing mayflies out of your hair is one of the most disgusting things I have ever done, including giving birth, Fastpasses are totally worth it in my opinion but of course you have to work within your budget.

Unlike others on here I would advise you to at least check out the Breakers. Yes, it is expensive and you are paying mostly for the location BUT in my experience with a family it makes things so much easier. When one kid gets sick, tired, stomachache, whatever, etc, you have the option for some to go back for a room break and some to stay at the park. Then you don't have to face the situation of someone being stuck at the park and miserable or someone being forced to leave early and crying. Also, you have the pool and/or waterpark if someone needs an afternoon break and with the room right there it makes changing clothes with kids a lot easier. Plus the causeway can get backed up and the less you have to drive back and forth over it the better. Again, just my opinion but if you are just there a couple days, I would at least consider it.

As far as KI, there are several hotels from every chain within 5 miles of the park. You know which brands you like, I would just google the options and go with your preference. KI is a lot easier to leave and come back if staying off property than CP. For sure try to get night rides on the Beast and Mystic Timbers! If you leave St Louis early morning you can get to KI by early afternoon and get a day and a half there easy (or throw an extra day in and go to HolidayWorld if you haven't been, you will drive right past it) If you leave on Monday you could do all weekdays.

Also there is a really fun place to eat about another half hour past Holiday World and before you get to Louisville called the Overlook Cafe, google them, they have a website.

Huge, giant, enormous thank you's to everyone! Great info and advice. Love this community (even though I'm just a lurker, I do feel a part of it). I'll be getting to work, and hopefully won't be too lazy to contribute down the road.

Also, that Econo map is hilarious. Well done.

Looking forward to building our coaster count soon!

Teacher Kim, I've enjoyed your posts in the STLSF forum for forever. I may @ you my plan once finalized given your knowledge from this area to that region. I was considering a holiday world stop as well, and this may seal that!

The southern Roadway Inn is now the Wolf Inn Hotel, looks to be independent and not part of a chain. Can't vouch for it now, haven't stayed there since the change. It was outdated as hell, but serviceable.

And the other Roadway Inn is beyond terrible. Waaaay worse than the other was. The staff I met were nice as hell, but it's a straight up dump. If you were being paid to stay there, I'd still go elsewhere.

The Rodeway Inn that's now the Wolf Inn was closed by the city a couple years ago because a room was found literally caked in dog crap and they had repeated calls for illegal activities. I doubt that the owners (who appear to have rebranded with the intent of getting confused guests who thought they were staying at the Great Wolf Lodge) have changed their tune much.

The Rodeway Inn that's now the Wolf Inn was closed by the city a couple years ago because a room was found literally caked in dog crap and they had repeated calls for illegal activities. I doubt that the owners (who appear to have rebranded with the intent of getting confused guests who thought they were staying at the Great Wolf Lodge) have changed their tune much.

Ummmm.....ok, I concede THAT may actually be grosser than dead Mayflies in your hair. Gross.

Teacher Kim, I've enjoyed your posts in the STLSF forum for forever. I may @ you my plan once finalized given your knowledge from this area to that region. I was considering a holiday world stop as well, and this may seal that!

Feel free to PM me or send me an email anytime. I'm happy to help out.

Huge, giant, enormous thank you's to everyone! Great info and advice. Love this community (even though I'm just a lurker, I do feel a part of it). I'll be getting to work, and hopefully won't be too lazy to contribute down the road.

We (mostly) don't bite. We'd love to see you post more.

^^Liar.

Unlike others on here I would advise you to at least check out the Breakers.

I echo this for my own personal preferences. We wouldn't go to Cedar Point as often as we do if it weren't for the Resort/Hotel aspect. Staying on the peninsula for a couple days makes it seem a little more like a vacation than a typical park visit. We even take a slow silent lap around the park after closing and no one has ever said anything. After that, we either have ice cream or a night cap by the fire pits on the beach to close out our tiresom day. The next morning, we wake up early, have a quick workout, grab a simple breakfast at Perkins, and enjoy a walk along the beach with our Stabucks Coffee. We love our perfect unspoken formula. All of that is what makes Cedar Point different and special for us. The two things we don't live without at CP are Fast Lane Plus passes and Breakers. For us, it's 110% worth it for the 8 hour drive.

At the very least, I really recommend cutting out some vanities in your life and setting the extra saved money aside for Fast Lane Plus on one day. But, if you're looking to do the trip on a tight budget outside of my suggestions, this thread has a plethera of expert advice. Good people. Good advice. This place is an excellent resource.

• 3 weeks later...