TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ where is that tho?

i've been to CP twice, but both times in the last 3 years, so Paddle Wheel was way gone when I visited.

guess I could google, but seems like this would be the thread to ask in

The announcements were cool and all. What's not to like? Looks good.

But, I would have preferred something like "all rides will be open at all times this year" or "Steel Vengeance will actually be open for early entry this year" etc.

By doing that they're acknowledging past failures. "Hey, we sucked last year, but New for 2020; you will get what you pay for."

^ where is that tho?

i've been to CP twice, but both times in the last 3 years, so Paddle Wheel was way gone when I visited.

guess I could google, but seems like this would be the thread to ask in

The station is behind Dragster, next to Camp Snoopy.

But will the new boat ride feature the "backside of water"? If not, this would be a glaring omission!

All kidding aside, I'm glad to see CP trying something other than a new coaster for it's 150th anniversary.

How can Cedar Point do this to me?!? It is their 150th anniversary.... Don’t they know how important anniversaries are for parks?!? I was fully expecting something *bigger* for their 150th. I mean this is such an important time for them. I was expecting that 150mph launched coaster. This is such a waste of money. I may never visit Cedar Point again because of this massive disappointment.

- Okay, not really! I just wanted to sound like one of *those* enthusiasts for a minute!

In all seriousness, I love the changes they are making. The update to the dining venues looks great, and of course the boat ride will be awesome! And no doubt it will give some great views of some of the coasters. I look forward to experiencing the new ride, and the changes on my next visit!

I wonder if either of the food service buildings will have actual second floors, the concept art makes it look like they do but it could easily just be a facade. If the second floor is real its most likely offices or park services of some sort.

When I was looking at the concept art for the French Quarter Connections, I was thinking that is how I would hide a dark ride addition. Build a big store/restaurant complex which has a second floor and the ride could be built basically out in the open without anyone knowing it is happening.

There is not enough room for something like that in this location, at least without tearing down more then just the current food service buildings. But sometime soon, likely in the next few years, the park is going to rebuild the other side of the midway.

They mentioned that the island will remain open with a refresh. I'm curious how you are going to access the island now that the boat ride has returned. They have a floating bridge in place now.

Also...I'm too lazy to go back and read every page right now, but pinks is history. The mack and cheese place is taking over that spot. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

But, I would have preferred something like "all rides will be open at all times this year" or "Steel Vengeance will actually be open for early entry this year" etc. .

Yes, they will also announce they can control the weather too... Sadly that's not how machines work. They will break.

But, I would have preferred something like "all rides will be open at all times this year" or "Steel Vengeance will actually be open for early entry this year" etc. .

Yes, they will also announce they can control the weather too... Sadly that's not how machines work. They will break.

To be fair, (and this is way more speculation than I'm normally comfortable with) many the Steel Vengeance delayed opening issues seem to be structural issues and not mechanical ones. When the ride has a delayed opening there are almost always workers up on a lift in the same few sections of the structure, usually the turnaround between the barrel rolls that goes under the lift hill. I doubt the issue is mechanical, I don't even think there's anything mechanical up there for them to work on. I feel like they'll fix that issue now that they have months to work on it and that alone would probably reduce a good chunk of it's downtime.

I was half serious, half joking. I wasn't suggesting they control the weather. That didn't cause staggered opening on rides all season and Friday closures during Halloween. Steel Vengeance was more joking, but also like Bill said. Saying they have a new way to better fix and maintain it would be a great announcement. Saying 'we think it'll be open earlier this year to provide more value to your early entry' would be nice. Might sell some passes, too.

But really, I wasn't targeting SV. My original point was I had hoped for some ride / staffing updates. It's all good what they showed. Can't wait to visit again.

That's the only other thing that I thought of but I'm not sure. I do know that the structure sways like crazy right there though which probably has something to do with it.

And before the "Coasters are designed to sway, here's an old video of Rattler at Fiesta Texas" people show up... yeah, I know. I'm not implying that the ride is unsafe or has any major problems, I'm just saying that the ride seems to need a lot of maintenance in that area (and maybe others) and that's probably part of the reason that it opens late so often.

Again, this is way more speculation than normal from me but the thread is dead and it's the offseason. Cheers.

Edited by coasterbill

I'm seeing a lot of people on other sites really stressing out about the new boat ride and a bridge over it. Omg how are they going to do it? I mean they find ways to build $20 million roller coasters but a bridge? I don't know if they can handle that!

Exactly how I’ve felt ever since the dinos were on the island and the bridge was put in place for that. People all up in arms about how that sealed the fate of PWE ever retuning. They’ll build a ramp. It’s simple as that

Yeah, that area moves a lot. I paid close attention to it when I went at the end of the season, and when we were in line beneath that part I was hoping my lady friend wouldnt notice how much it moved. I dont think she would have ridden if she really paid attention to the amount of flex the ride exhibits, particularly in that area.

I'm seeing a lot of people on other sites really stressing out about the new boat ride and a bridge over it. Omg how are they going to do it? I mean they find ways to build $20 million roller coasters but a bridge? I don't know if they can handle that!

Exactly how I’ve felt ever since the dinos were on the island and the bridge was put in place for that. People all up in arms about how that sealed the fate of PWE ever retuning. They’ll build a ramp. It’s simple as that

Those bridges installed for Dinos were floating bridges, nothing really permanent. We used the same ones at GL (in fact some may have come from GL). They were moved a few times from one side of the lake to the other. That's not really gonna be an issue.

Humans have been building bridges for centuries. I'm pretty sure the engineers who contract for CP can figure this out.

• 2 weeks later...